Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Few questions about a Ford axle upgrade (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/few-questions-about-a-ford-axle-upgrade-49625.html)

Cons_Table 04-26-2010 10:24 AM

Few questions about a Ford axle upgrade

Hey guys,

As you may have seen in my previous posts, I am working on the jeep to fit 35's but in order to do this I need to upgrade my axles. I was doing some looking on car-part.com and came across a few axles in my area. Before going forward with any of them I wanted to ask some opinions. I found a few axles out of a 97, 98, and 01 ford explorer. I was curious what the best year would be for a TJ. The 98's have posi, the 97 just says "locker," and the 01's do not specify anything except for being 2 door.

So my question is, are these 8.8 axles? Also, do any of these have the disc brakes stock? The prices range anywhere from 450-400. What are your opinions? Thanks in advance. :wavey:

yj-genral 04-26-2010 10:48 AM

too bad your not in my area... you can go to a pull-a-part and get one for under $200.

correct me if im wrong but i think 98 and up have disc brakes, yes they are 8.8's out of explorers, get one, i have one for my YJ and it has done me good on 36" TSLs

Cons_Table 04-26-2010 10:55 AM

Ya it would be nice if a pull a part was closer to where I am. The ones I am looking at are right in town, and they also have the 3.73 gears I would TEMPORARILY run until I get the money swap in 4.88's. Is it a good idea to get one with a posi, or is it not necessary?

whitebuffalo 04-26-2010 11:38 AM

if you plan on locking it, i wouldnt drop any extra on posi.

400-500 sounds too high to me. ~$250 seems to be the going rate around here. watch craigslist.

Cons_Table 04-26-2010 11:41 AM

Ive been watching craigslist and havent been having much come up. The posi isnt any extra its just included on some of the axles

cavediverjc 04-26-2010 12:15 PM

I just bought a 2000 Ford Explorer V8 posi 8.8 for $250. Low miles (80k) with disk brakes. I just bought brand new rotors for it for $37 each from my local CarQuest instead of having the stock rotors turned at $20 each. Superior has that Super 88 kit for it with chromoly axles and c-clip eliminators. They say running 37's is not a problem with that kit.

I'm in the process of shaving the Ford suspension mounts off it now.

Cons_Table 04-26-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 608757)
I just bought a 2000 Ford Explorer V8 posi 8.8 for $250. Low miles (80k) with disk brakes. I just bought brand new rotors for it for $37 each from my local CarQuest instead of having the stock rotors turned at $20 each. Superior has that Super 88 kit for it with chromoly axles and c-clip eliminators. They say running 37's is not a problem with that kit.

I'm in the process of shaving the Ford suspension mounts off it now.

Sounds like a good project cavediver. I am having trouble finding axles that cheap anywhere near me :banghead:

cavediverjc 04-26-2010 12:36 PM

If you're interested, I can give you the phone numbers to a bunch of local salvage yards around here that have them. They're pretty plentiful and most are going from $250-$350. I'm sure the salvage yards could ship one to you. They ship all over the country to other salvage yards, so I don't think it would be any different shipping to an individual. If you're interested in those numbers, let me know and I'll PM them to you.

Cons_Table 04-26-2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavediverjc (Post 608788)
If you're interested, I can give you the phone numbers to a bunch of local salvage yards around here that have them. They're pretty plentiful and most are going from $250-$350. I'm sure the salvage yards could ship one to you. They ship all over the country to other salvage yards, so I don't think it would be any different shipping to an individual. If you're interested in those numbers, let me know and I'll PM them to you.

Where do you live? I would think after shipping costs for a whole axle, the price would still be close to what I would be paying locally

cavediverjc 04-26-2010 12:48 PM

I'm in central Kansas. It's hard to say what shipping costs would be since I don't know what carrier the salvage yard would use. You're probably right though, the costs could end up being comparable. Just an option.

Cons_Table 04-26-2010 12:52 PM

Thanks for the idea cave. I will keep it in mind.

cavediverjc 04-26-2010 04:35 PM

No worries. :D

Jerry Bransford 04-26-2010 04:44 PM

Just make sure the 8.8's axle shafts have 31 splines, there are some Ford 8.8 axles that came with a smaller spline count. I think all of the Explorers came with the 31 spline axle shafts but ya can never be too careful on that kind of thing. That'll be a nice upgrade when you're done with it. And I am pretty sure all Explorers from those years had 8.8 axles in them. :)

Cons_Table 04-26-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 609035)
Just make sure the 8.8's axle shafts have 31 splines, there are some Ford 8.8 axles that came with a smaller spline count. I think all of the Explorers came with the 31 spline axle shafts but ya can never be too careful on that kind of thing. That'll be a nice upgrade when you're done with it. And I am pretty sure all Explorers from those years had 8.8 axles in them. :)

Ya I did a little research on the explorer axles and my understanding is that from 95-01 the axles in a explorer or mountaineer came with 31 spline shafts and also the disc brakes which are both awesome benefits. Earlier years looked to have drum brakes and possibly 28 spline shafts. I may keep shopping for a bit to see if anything cheaper pops up because it looks like there are plenty of these axles locally in that price range.