Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Islander or Rubicon (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/islander-or-rubicon-49663.html)

10islander 04-26-2010 05:15 PM

Islander or Rubicon

I am 15 and my dad's looking into getting me a 2010 wrangler. We are interested in the Islander and Rubicon. I would like help by those with experience in both. I will possibly start off doing some light offroading but mostly my daily driver. Please, recommend one for my needs. Thank you!

Jp90Talon 04-26-2010 05:19 PM

Rubicon if you ever plan on going off road esp is the parents are paying!

09sahara 04-26-2010 05:24 PM

If at such a young age you can drive a Rubicon without killing yourself I would also say get one.

Vanimal00000 04-26-2010 05:26 PM

Rubicon for sure!

thaduke2003 04-26-2010 06:01 PM

I will be the odd man out. Neither. At 15, you need to learn how to drive. I say get either an X or, at most, a Sahara. I would NEVER teach someone to drive on mud terrains. Plus, you could always buy a set of OEM takeoffs later, after you haven't killed yourself for a year or two. Mud terrains take a certain amount of driving ability to properly handle in inclement weather. Spend less, save on insurance, get a base model, 6-speed, and build it up as you go.
Spending more on stuff you won't use is foolish. On a first car, which odds say you WILL wreck at least once, no thanks. Be smart, and keep it simple- Mark W.

white91yj 04-26-2010 06:10 PM

Rubicon.. just because Islander sounds ghey to me

Bruck 04-26-2010 06:27 PM

Dude...You are 15 and your parents are buying you a new Rubi or Islander? Good god man. Do you have any clue how lucky you are?

thaduke2003 04-26-2010 06:39 PM

^ Indeed. My folks forgot my 15th birthday :)
Also, I'm a grown ass man (relatively), and couldn't swing a Rubi. Stupid being broke :) Mark W.

07crawler 04-26-2010 06:45 PM

Rubi all the way..I almost bought anX ...thank god I didn;t

Kohrs93 04-26-2010 06:46 PM

My parents took me out to dinner at AppleBee's and bought me some shoes for my 15th birthday... But like thaduke said... get something simple. You're fifteen you don't need a bigass jeep for your first car. TJ/YJ would be MUCH cheaper and can do just as much offroading.

thaduke2003 04-26-2010 06:59 PM

^ Agreed. Get an older vehicle that already has some miles on it. It'll be MUCH cheaper to buy, and MUCH cheaper to insure. I'm glad you picked Wrangler, as they're great vehicles with TONS of capability right out of the box, but at 15, the plain fact is spending $28K on a brand new Jeep is foolish. We were all there- it seems like a great idea now, but you'll cry a lot less (and if your parents are anything like mine were, get beaten a lot less) when you crack up a $10K rig :) Mark W.

white91yj 04-26-2010 07:02 PM

my first car was a 1961 Falcon that I paid $50 for.... musta been on the other side of the tracks

pakman55 04-26-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaduke2003 (Post 609278)
^ Agreed. Get an older vehicle that already has some miles on it. It'll be MUCH cheaper to buy, and MUCH cheaper to insure. I'm glad you picked Wrangler, as they're great vehicles with TONS of capability right out of the box, but at 15, the plain fact is spending $28K on a brand new Jeep is foolish. We were all there- it seems like a great idea now, but you'll cry a lot less (and if your parents are anything like mine were, get beaten a lot less) when you crack up a $10K rig :) Mark W.

If his parents can buy him a new wrangler rubi, i find it hard to believe they cant afford the difference in insurance. get a built tj.

daggo66 04-26-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kohrs93 (Post 609251)
My parents took me out to dinner at AppleBee's and bought me some shoes for my 15th birthday... But like thaduke said... get something simple. You're fifteen you don't need a bigass jeep for your first car. TJ/YJ would be MUCH cheaper and can do just as much offroading.

Dayum, you got shoes?

Ageless Stranger 04-26-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 609505)
Dayum, you got shoes?

No kidding! Right?

SBakerUMC 04-26-2010 09:26 PM

WTF dude. I agree. I am only 23 and I would never let a new driver in jeep. GO to fast on a washboard dirt road and you'l end up in the ditch. I would say the older the better man. Get one you can scratch up and dent without being too worried. Better yet. Get them to give you the money they would spend on the jeep and get a TJ with the 4.0L. Then you can pimp it out and have more money for the enormous amounts of gas you'll be needing. It is hard to kill the 4.0. Or get an old CJ and build it up. Learn about the parts and what they do. That will make you a more informed driver. I don't know what you'll do, but I'm going to be very cautious around new Rubis, because a pimple face teenager might be behind the wheel. lol. Just know that your entering an addictive lifestyle!

ckyjohn 04-26-2010 09:26 PM

rubi or your a dumb a$$

chef1231 04-26-2010 09:49 PM

It's funny parents always buy kids crazy things. I just sold a fully jammed up 38+k Rubi Unlimited to a guy for his daughter. Leather nav auto start my gig etc... They never even drove it first. Money to some is not always the same as money to others. I sell them and if cost is not a factor then just get the Rubi

ratuna 04-26-2010 10:19 PM

Get a built TJ/YJ or a stock one and use the extra $$ to build it to your liking over time. As others stated above no new driver deserves a brand new car no matter who it is, sorry kid. Your gonna eventually end up doing something stupid and damaging the brand new expensive JK so start with one that wont hurt so much WHEN you F it up.

4Jeepn 04-27-2010 06:35 AM

So is this more for your dad and you will have use of it? That's how it worked in my family.. though I could never convince my dad he needed the Porsche. To answer your question. If the budget allows, get the rubicon. The island is a sticker and wheel package, where the rubicon has stuff. Now if your both looking for something to take off road and work on together a bit more then I would get an older TJ for half the cost and start there. As far as a new jeep not being a good 1st vehicle , I don't see why not, They are safe, have 4wd and the top go's down.

daggo66 04-27-2010 06:50 AM

I must be a terrible parent.

I bought a '94 Corolla (67k miles) for my 2 daughters to learn to drive with since my wife has a '08 Liberty and I have a '09 Wrangler. The 18 year old who just got her license a week before turning 18 understands that the 15 year old (who wants to learn as soon as she can when she turns 15 and 9 months in MD) gets to use the Corolla as well. She also understands that she lives under my roof and it's my car. I can refuse to let her dirve anywhere at any time. She had to pass my driving test before she could take the MVA driving test.

I'm sure they would have been much happier if I took each of them to the dealer to pick out a new car, but I believe that it's my job to teach them values and how to stay alive.

KJ4DPB 04-30-2010 10:19 AM

I just spent the last few months looking at all sorts of Jeeps. I ended up with a Sahara and love it. Nixed the Islander because of the creepy tiki guy and the seat covers just aren't as comfortable as the rest of the Jeeps. Don't like the mesh. Of the two, I'd vote the Rubi. Have you looked at the Sport with the S package? I was seriously debating between that and the Sahara.

chop110 04-30-2010 10:51 AM

I think you all just scared 10islander away. :)

Sf_Kilo 04-30-2010 11:47 AM

Well being 23 and and having owned only 5 cars so far I can say that you DO NOT WANT MUD TERRAINS on you first vehicle...

IMO get a 2dr base (4x4) wrangler and have fun with it for awhile....
get the 3:20 gears to keep the fuel cons down and get the limited slip rear, in whatever color suits you....

The off road ability of a Rubi is about the same as an Islander unless you are crawling up a boulder pile and need the sway disconnected and need axle lockers.... the suspension is the same minus the sway disconnect.

abw0004 04-30-2010 12:01 PM

When I was fifteen I learned on a two year old Wrangler X and it had 31 All Terrians, but I mostly drove a Volvo to learn on. I would agree that it isnt a good car to learn on but it is possible to do so safely. I bought that Wrangler from my dad and it was my first car and I have modified it myself and love it to death. Just keep in mind that you have to be better and more careful than a normal driver because these cars are top heavy and I remember thinking I was invincible. This is also my daily driver. These cars are great but be careful. I would say though go for a Rubicon.

YAHAHA 04-30-2010 12:14 PM

First of all, welcome to the forum.

Second of all, make sure to thank your folks.

Lastly & most importantly, I say screw the neighsayers here & get what you want. If you plan on going offroad on harder trails, get the RUBICON. If you're only going to be doing puddle-jumping or very light off-roading, the ISLANDER will be fine.

Mud tires are different than regular tires because of the way they're designed & built. But if you learn on a more difficult tire, then if you ever switch to a non-MT tire, you'll be ahead of the game.

Either way, remember, you're in a Jeep, not a car. If you jerk the steering wheel at speed, you will be sorry. If you get into an accident at a high speed, you'll be sorry. Take it easy & you'll have a great time!

Oh yea... cell phones are useless when you've got the top down. Especially with MT tires!

gryph 04-30-2010 03:23 PM

You guys give suck-ass advice.

If dad wants to buy you a Rubi, you take it and thank God every day for such nice parents.

I suggest, you wash his car every weekend and lick his shoes clean on Sunday nights (top and bottom), Most importantly, be careful and don't f -up the Jeep!!!

No talking on the cell phone or texting, just focus on driving.

By the way, if you do screw up the Jeep, let us know ASAP so we can organize a group outing to come over to your place and kick your ass. (just to save your dad from doing it himself)

JIMBOX 04-30-2010 03:36 PM

:rolleyes: Lets see--suck-ass advice !!

NOT !!
1) Bad advice
2) poor advice
3) feeble advice
4) erroneous advice
5) flippant advice
5) unattached advice
7) irrelevant advice
8) irreprovable advice
------------------------------BUT---------------------------

-SUCK--ASS advice

Now, that is so Junior college (:zap:)

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

jk'n 04-30-2010 05:24 PM

I have a Rubi and I would consider it a no brainer to choose the Rubi over the Islander because of it's capabilities. I realize that all of the other advice about starting out small and working your way up seems sensible but a choice between a Rubi and an Islander at age 15 is one that most don't experience and only dream of what it would have been like including myself. So, since that is what the OP wanted to know, without regards to the money part...definitely get the Rubi.

superdavis78 05-04-2010 06:51 PM

Get the Rubi....simple!!! There is no subsitute for the Rubi, especially not the Islander....