Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Throttle Possition sensor (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/throttle-possition-sensor-49784.html)

dasaffen 04-27-2010 10:52 PM

Throttle Possition sensor

my CEL came on and i got the code p0122. I know its my throttle possition sensor and i plan on replacing it. My question is, where do i get the part, from a dealership or should any autoparts store have it? and around how much do they cost? A local mechanic told me that it has to be ordered from the dealership and should cost around $70. Thank you

AzTJ 04-27-2010 10:57 PM

You can get them from just about any auto parts store. I prefer NAPA. Shouldn't be any more than $50.

schnutzy 04-27-2010 10:57 PM

any auto parts place can order it, if they dont keep it in stock. ive never had to get one for a jeep, but for our bonneville they are pretty easy to come by.

EDIT: i wish the TPS for the bonneville was that cheap. damn thing cost just over $100. and it goes through 1 or 2 every year :banghead:

dasaffen 04-27-2010 11:01 PM

thank you for the quick replies. I guess i'll be replacing it soon then.

Jerry Bransford 04-28-2010 12:13 AM

I will no longer buy any aftermarket (non-OE) sensors from the auto parts stores, it's too much like rolling the dice now. It just seems like the quality for sensors now is all over the place, you can't trust them in other words. For a sensor, I'll only buy the OE sensors from now on. One good potential non-dealer source of OE sensors & other parts is RockAuto Auto Parts who is cheaper than any other source I've found. They don't always have the OE part but they do often enough that I look there first. If Rock Auto doesn't have it, I go to the dealer and push for a discount to bring the price down to a more reasonable level.

jdhallissey 04-28-2010 12:15 AM

Yea I need one too after this last weekend also.

desertdood 04-28-2010 01:45 AM

:doh: I just bought one from the dealership. I had an on and off code p0123 for quite a while. List price was $84, I paid $63.50. It also comes with new torx mounting screws in case the originals get stripped. Part number
5019411AD for the 2002 Wrangler 4.0. I had ordered one online and after it arrived, wouldn't fit. Sent it back after paying $12 return shipping.

s3nt3nc3d 04-28-2010 02:59 AM

I agree with Jerry... I'm all for buying stuff from Auto Parts Stores...but I've had too many bad TPS sensors from there. Certain sensors "work" in our vehicles that they sell...but most of them don't "work" PROPERLY. One guy on another forum for Dodge Dakotas noticed this particular trend with TPS sensors so he put one on an oscilloscope and found that while they both "work" for the vehicle...the new one from the Auto Parts Store was a little quirky and it turns out their signals are completely different which I'm guessing confuses the computer at times.

Neil F. 04-28-2010 05:21 AM

I've had to replace the TPS in several vehicles. I have never had a problem with the parts store pieces.

C.L. 04-03-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 610685)
I will no longer buy any aftermarket (non-OE) sensors from the auto parts stores, it's too much like rolling the dice now. It just seems like the quality for sensors now is all over the place, you can't trust them in other words. For a sensor, I'll only buy the OE sensors from now on. One good potential non-dealer source of OE sensors & other parts is RockAuto Auto Parts who is cheaper than any other source I've found. They don't always have the OE part but they do often enough that I look there first. If Rock Auto doesn't have it, I go to the dealer and push for a discount to bring the price down to a more reasonable level.

This may be a stupid question... but how can you tell who/what the QEM was for a particular part? I clicked through quite a few Jeep parts on RockAuto, and didn't see any Chrysler/Mopar manufacturer listings.