Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Suggestions For My First Upgrade (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/suggestions-for-my-first-upgrade-49903.html)

N2tHeBleW 04-29-2010 09:41 PM

Suggestions For My First Upgrade

I just bought a 2001 TJ Sport and am brand new to the world of wranglers. I'm running on P235 70 15 tires and am looking into 33" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. But what do I need as far as lifts?? I've looked at everything from 2" inch skyjackers to 4" suspensions lifts that cost over $3000. my jeep already sits higher than a friend of mine's '98 Sahara, and he's on the same size tires as I am. So i don't know if i need to spend all that money. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jeepboro 04-29-2010 10:10 PM

I have a 98 Sahara that I got about three weeks ago. I put a 2.5" Rough Country Coil Spring lift on it. I just got my 33x10.50s put on it today. I may add a 1" body lift to it in the near future. The 2.5" lift was $325 with shipping. The body lifts are around $100. Check out my post on the TJ Forum - My new to me 98 Wrangler for before and after pics.

The original tires were 225/75/R15.

distortedtj 04-29-2010 10:13 PM

Well, first we need to know if your jeep has any lift now...post some pictures of the top of the front coil spring...or look for a 2'' spacer on top of the coil.

For 33'' tires 4'' of lift is a good area.

McGridDLe 04-29-2010 10:15 PM

The cool thing about Jeeps is that its all about your personal preferance.. you can do an unbelievable amount of things to personalize it just the way you like it.. you could go with the more expensive things like lifts and tires, or you could simply order some handles for the roll bar.

catITguy 04-29-2010 10:15 PM

Welcome!

First and foremost, figure out what you already have on there. Budget boost? Spring lift? Body lift? No lift?

The minimum recommendation for 33s is 3" of lift. Some folks do it with 2 or 2.5", but thats really pushing it if you offroad at all.

The cheapest way to get a small amount of lift is a body lift. As the name implies, it lifts the tub of the jeep off the frame by about an inch. Stay away from body lifts over 1.25".
A budget boost is also very affordable. These are disks (or pucks) that sit on top of the coil springs. It doesnt get you more flex, as you utilize the original springs, but it gets you more clearance.
A suspension lift consists of new springs (and usually shocks). A 2-2.5" suspension lift is pretty minimal installation-wise. Anything over 3" and it starts getting expensive fast, as you need to replace more of the stock components.

A good, affordable method to get about 3.5" of lift is to go with a decent 2.5" suspension lift and a 1" body lift. This setup will clear 33s comfortably, add some flex over stock, and not completely break the bank.

I run the above, 2.5" OME suspension lift with a 1.25" BL.

N2tHeBleW 04-29-2010 11:40 PM

Thanks for the info. I like the idea of not spending over a grand just on the lift. Here's another question: will getting a 2.5" suspension lift work with a budget boost? Or can you only have one or the other? Great looking jeeps by the way.

Keep the tips coming!

crazyredneck 04-30-2010 01:12 AM

American Expedition Vehicle Highline Conversion Kit. I have it on my jeep an i LOVE it

Outlaw Jeeper 04-30-2010 08:30 AM

Welcome to the site! I'd say save up a few more dollars and go with a 4" lift. Unless you're consistently into hardcore wheelin' you should be able to find a decent 4" lift for around the $500-$550 range. This is a solid platform to work with. Your 33's will clear with plenty of flex room, and if you step up to 35's, all you'll need is a small body lift. Trust me, you won't regret this move. Good luck with your decision.

McGridDLe 04-30-2010 04:40 PM

so how big is your budget for this first project? I'm sure we could find all sorts of stuff to do in your price range.

47MTP 04-30-2010 05:01 PM

First thing I did was get rid of the leaking radiator. Then I invested in a decent skid plate for the gas tank, quick disconnects for the front sway bar and a heavier duty tie rod. Boring right...I didn't start raising my Jeep for about 2 years. But, she always gets me home and she's still in great shape!
Bert

computeruser 05-04-2010 12:47 AM

Budget in a few bucks for a regear, too. Going from a 28" tire to a 33" tire is a heck of a jump.

jskinn27 05-04-2010 12:53 AM

ive got a 97 sport with 33s on a 4.5 inch rubicon express lift. there is plenty of room for bigger tires