Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   WF New Member Check In (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/)
-   -   Former Jeep Owner with Strange Request (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/former-jeep-owner-with-strange-request-49933.html)

RoBear 04-30-2010 01:08 PM

Former Jeep Owner with Strange Request

Hi Guys,

It looks like you have a fantastic forum here. I am a former Jeep owner, and seeing a place like this makes me miss my '95 YJ all the more.

On to my strange request. As I mentioned, I am a former Jeep owner. I had a 1995 White YJ Rio Grande, and it was my baby; slightly lifted, rarely clean and a veteran of two Camp Jeeps and countless trail rides and adventures. More importantly, it was the car I had when I met my wife. Our first date was in the Jeep, we drove it home 26 hours from Chicago after we graduated school, and I sold it to buy her engagement ring.

We have been married for several years and now live in Houston. For our anniversary this year, I am really hoping to rent a Wrangler and take it down to Galveston for the day (something we used to do on a regular basis). Unfortunately, I have checked every major car rental company and several local retailers, and no one carries Wranglers in their fleet in Houston.

STRANGE REQUEST: Is there someone here who would let me "rent" their Jeep May 28th and 29th. I would be willing to pay better than what I would pay at a rental company and I would pay up front. We can do whatever is necessary to make you feel comfortable (contract, background check, etc.) and I would treat your jeep just like it was my own.

Depending on your location in Houston, I would be putting about 100-200 miles on it, and we would only be doing light offroading (driving on the beach). And I promise there will be no PDA happening in the jeep :)... I already reserved a really nice hotel.

I know it's a long shot, but you guys are my last hope to make this happen.

Thanks,
Rob

N39-W120 04-30-2010 01:26 PM

Minus 10 points for calling our beloved vehicle a CAR, but Have you by chance tried Hertz? they offer what they call a "Fun Collection" and have the Wrangler on the menu. What about checking in with a dealer for an "extended test drive" on an used one?

RatherBNarizona 04-30-2010 01:30 PM

Welcome! There are a lot of Texas members on here, you could try here too:
WF Texas forum:
Texas Jeep Forum - Jeep Wrangler Forum

RoBear 04-30-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatherBNmexico (Post 612844)
Welcome! There are a lot of Texas members on here, you could try here too:
WF Texas forum:
Texas Jeep Forum - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Thanks for the advice... I'll give it a shot!

RoBear 04-30-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N39-W120 (Post 612840)
Minus 10 points for calling our beloved vehicle a CAR, but Have you by chance tried Hertz? they offer what they call a "Fun Collection" and have the Wrangler on the menu. What about checking in with a dealer for an "extended test drive" on an used one?

My mistake for using the c-word... It's been about 6 years since I had my Jeep so I am a little rusty.

As for the Rental companies, Hertz, Avis, Thrifty, Dollar, Enterprise, Budget all carry Wranglers, but only in Las Vegas, SoCal and Denver.

That's a great idea for the extended test drive... Maybe I will call around.

blkrubi88 04-30-2010 01:41 PM

Welcome to the forum and good luck finding a wrangler to rent!

Kate 04-30-2010 02:45 PM

I rented mine out last year to a young fella who was getting married,
He lived on the east coast and the wedding was in Nashville.

He wanted a Jeep as a "get away" vehicle since he had to leave his at home.

It was pretty cool!
Hopefully you'll find a Jeep. I'm not too sure that many people would be willing to let you just drive off in their rig for a weekend.

Oh Maybe check with used car lots! They might lease you one for a few days if you tell them the story!

bergy 04-30-2010 02:51 PM

welcome and good luck in your search im a little far to help you

McGridDLe 04-30-2010 03:37 PM

I'm too far away to help you but that sounds really nice. Good luck on finding a Jeep and I'm sure the used lots might make an exception given your story. Hope all goes well!

RoBear 04-30-2010 03:47 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to do some research on a used one this weekend... maybe I should just break down and buy another one ;)

emills 04-30-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoBear (Post 612954)
maybe I should just break down and buy another one ;)

Now that's the spirit!!! :D

amy 04-30-2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoBear (Post 612954)
maybe I should just break down and buy another one ;)

Tell your wife it's an anniversary present for the two of you. :D
Welcome to WF. :wavey:

JDsDream 04-30-2010 05:55 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Replacing your Jeep would be an awesome anniversary gift for the 2 of you.

nick50471 04-30-2010 06:07 PM

welcome to WF. Good luck finding a rental.