Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Are warped front brake disc rotors standard equipment? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/are-warped-front-brake-disc-rotors-standard-equipment-49943.html)

ncpapaul 04-30-2010 05:06 PM

Are warped front brake disc rotors standard equipment?

Are warped disc rotors standard on Wranglers? My new 2002 has a really bad case at 51,000 miles old. Paul

Schmo 04-30-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncpapaul (Post 612970)
Are warped disc rotors standard on Wranglers? My new 2002 has a really bad case at 51,000 miles old. Paul

LOL...could be . . . my 06 was giving me that pulsing in the pedal feeling a while back, but it seemed to have warped back into place or something cuz I haven't felt it hardly at all for the last few months.

oranjeep 04-30-2010 05:36 PM

Yes, they come standard with all Jeeps from Chrysler. In order to keep the weight down, they went with cheap thin rotors. I have an '05, and mine didn't make it to 30k. It's a very simple swap, and while you are at it you might as well change the pads. I think I spent around $200 if my memory serves me well.
:wavey:

Schmo 04-30-2010 05:42 PM

Who needs brakes anyway . . . that's why I don't wear a seatbelt, so I can jump out if things get too hairy!

Jerry Bransford 04-30-2010 06:48 PM

The all-cast rotors Jeep has been shipping since around 2000 or 2001 are actually very good quality, unlike the cheap lightweight warp-prone composite rotors like earlier Wranglers (like my '97 did) came with.

Often, a pulsating brake pedal is not the warped rotor problem we usually think it is. When it's not caused by a warped rotor, it is caused by a buildup of brake pad material on the rotors that can be removed. Think of those dry dusty dirt roads where a series of repetitive bumps in the road have built up from passing traffic... whoopty-doos we often call them. The more traffic that drives over the whoopty-doos, the worse they get. This same phenomena is what causes the brake pad material to build up on the rotors causing a pulsating pedal.

With the newer heavy-duty rotors Jeep has been shipping, it's a toss-up whether they are warped or that they simply have that buildup on the rotors. I'd probably bet on it being a rotor buildup before I'd guess the rotors are warped if you haven't been overheating your brakes on a regular basis. :)

meyers 05-01-2010 05:15 AM

Never had a problem on the 02 with the rotors, they are pretty hefty from the factory, and you can actually turn them if you aren't running down to metal to metal. Can't do that on all brake rotors anymore, a lot of them will be out of spec if you turn them down.

Now my 2010 Dodge Journey, 20,400 miles it needed new pads and rotors. Of course it was warrantied but still 20k for a complete front brake job, that is just crazy.

Kilroy 05-01-2010 05:33 AM

whoopty-doos..... Jerry, what do we look for and how do we clean the rotors?

ncpapaul 05-01-2010 09:20 AM

Warped rotors thanks

Thanks all who replied. I have my own machine shop so I can put a dial indicator on each one to see which is warped and also put it in a lathe to either turn off the pad build up or skim cut the metal back true. That is good to hear that the 2002 I have (may 2002) may have the "later", thicker Jeep improved rotors. I didn't know about the early TJ rotor problem, thanks, Paul

Schmo 05-01-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilroy (Post 613462)
Jerry, what do we look for and how do we clean the rotors?

x2

joesunlimited1 05-01-2010 10:28 AM

X2 My o6 unlimited has 16000 miles and Iam having the pulsing when going down hills. Any way to determine and clean rotors?

Sf_Kilo 05-01-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilroy (Post 613462)
whoopty-doos..... Jerry, what do we look for and how do we clean the rotors?

With ........Wait for it !!!.......Brake Cleaner.......!!!
LOL couldn't resist :D

..Anyway I have always used brake cleaner and a hunk of steel wool (non soap added; no S.O.S pads)

If you look at the rotor you will see a slightly discolored area (usually on the back side) that feels different than the rest of the disk....
I had this issue on my WRX after tracking it for a day it would occasionally need a wire wheel on a angle grinder and lots of brake cleaner, I was using EBC race compound pads and DBA rotors and it still glazed on occasionally .....

you guys must be really heating the brakes up to get a glaze deposit on the rotors.....
I would vote a warped rotor in most cases..... I guess if the jeep has 35"s it might have issues but the brakes aren't that undersized in a stock config....

I am amazed how long the brakes are lasting for you guys I ended up replacing brakes and rotors every 8-10k on my other cars.... (WRX, Mini Cooper S at least)

meyers 05-01-2010 12:04 PM

You can use super fine emery cloth to polish them up. Have done that before to clean off the glaze