Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   CJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f258/)
-   -   CJ FAQ's - common problems answered here! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f258/cj-faqs-common-problems-answered-here-5.html)

JeepCrawler98 04-05-2005 09:19 PM

CJ FAQ's - common problems answered here!
 
This thread is to contain links to other posts in the forum that are commonly asked in the CJ category. The list is as follows

If you would like to add a thread to this list, please message the URL along with a short blurb as to "why" it should be here to any of the WranglerForum leaders

FAQs:





-JeepCrawler98

kecklogan 07-07-2007 05:44 PM

Yes, I am looking into getting a CJ-7 between the years of 78 and 81. What are some of the common problems that I should be looking for when buying??? Thanks

47willys hemi 07-23-2007 09:56 PM

Cj Intake N Exhaust
 
Recently Picked Up A 84 Cj7 With No Eng Or Tran-transf, Had A T150 And Dana20 So That Got Put In, Now I Installed A 3.8 To Make It Emission Compatable, And Need To Know If The 4.2 Exhaust Will Work On The 3.8, As I Have The 4.2 Intake, Any Replies Before I Buy Out Ebay :):)

MadPatter 08-17-2007 02:06 AM

Heres a question hopefully some one can answer. When i try and put it into 4wd it only works when im rolling, so on a hill. How can i get it in on flat ground, will i have to drive forward/backwards a lil then put into neutral then 4H??? or is something up with my 4wd?:confused:

Ohh and its a 1980 CJ5 4.2L L6 4 speed Manual tranny

danielelliston 01-10-2009 09:56 AM

I have a friend with a '95 Wrangler 4-cyl. Lately the thing starts and runs fine until it begins to heat up. Upon heating up it begins to 'bog down' when attempting to get any power from the motor. Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

voicewithin 08-10-2009 11:24 PM

why is it?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by danielelliston (Post 305905)
I have a friend with a '95 Wrangler 4-cyl. Lately the thing starts and runs fine until it begins to heat up. Upon heating up it begins to 'bog down' when attempting to get any power from the motor. Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

..you need to see why it is overheating, that is critical, and then fix it...

mud707 12-01-2009 09:31 AM

Has anyone tryied doing the team rush upgrade on their 258 here? I-6 'TeamRush Upgrade' (definitive)
I Read the thread but don't understand if you need a ford distributor or if you use your Jeep distributor.

garyrawson 04-07-2010 12:20 PM

Hi everybody. First time on and hope to get alot of help over time. first question. I have a 79 cj7, what years of a yj or tj will interchange with my jeep. thanks gary

4Jeepn 04-07-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyrawson (Post 592331)
Hi everybody. First time on and hope to get alot of help over time. first question. I have a 79 cj7, what years of a yj or tj will interchange with my jeep. thanks gary

Most YJ doors and hardtops can be made to fit. Other small stuff maybe.. could do an engine swap. What are you looking to replace?

jgano23 04-07-2010 08:34 PM

there are a lot of yj parts that interchange easily. i swapped a yj body tub for my rusted cj7 tub.

rainwood 04-28-2011 09:57 PM

I just bought my first jeep a 98 sahara, straight 6 w/ 5 speed std transmission. All stock and seems to run ok but I think it has a hole somewhere in the exaust. I want to do some performance upgrades without breaking the bank any recommendations on where to start?

nick50471 04-28-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainwood
I just bought my first jeep a 98 sahara, straight 6 w/ 5 speed std transmission. All stock and seems to run ok but I think it has a hole somewhere in the exaust. I want to do some performance upgrades without breaking the bank any recommendations on where to start?

I would start with checking out the TJ forum. Lots of help for you there.

jMICK 07-27-2011 08:13 AM

I'm doing an engine swap with a V6 232 from a 1976 CJ-5 (which I have plenty of leftover parts for those in need, including full hard top and clean body) in to an 85 CJ-7. Before the swap the motor ran in pristine condition, no knocks, no sputters, low mileage, ran like a champ.

After the swap, which went great, direct bolt in, power steering lined up, there's a lot of electrical laying around but I'm figuring that out as I go. Right now I just want to get it back to running and work on the ignition system.

Ive got no key and ignition hooked up so I'm trying to go off a positive lead. I've got the + lead running to the +COIL, with the + and - lines running to a connector into the ICU, which has another connector (magnetic sensor) which connects to the DISTRIBUTOR, spark plugs in the correct positions and attached to the coil but we're getting no spark when we turn the engine over. Starter engages, engine turns, no spark.

Kind of stuck here, not sure about all the electronics but I thought running from a + lead would bypass the need for an on/off switch. Any advice is good advice. Thanks.

-JCM adaptjcm@gmail.com

Stumpbumper 07-27-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kecklogan (Post 100464)
Yes, I am looking into getting a CJ-7 between the years of 78 and 81. What are some of the common problems that I should be looking for when buying??? Thanks

There were quite a few differences in those years! Tranys are the biggest issue, T18 four speed was best or the T176 four speed. Lots of stuff interchanges with Ford for those years. Look for rust in floor boards and cracked frames! 258 six or 304 V8 were stock for those years. D20 transfercases and D300 in later models! Model 20 rear and D30 front usually with 3.54 or 2.72 gears were very common for that erra.
Good luck

Stumpbumper 07-27-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 47willys hemi (Post 107989)
Recently Picked Up A 84 Cj7 With No Eng Or Tran-transf, Had A T150 And Dana20 So That Got Put In, Now I Installed A 3.8 To Make It Emission Compatable, And Need To Know If The 4.2 Exhaust Will Work On The 3.8, As I Have The 4.2 Intake, Any Replies Before I Buy Out Ebay :):)

1984 CJ7 will not have a D20 factory! Many jeeps have had the wrong titles attached or had other parts swapped in. 84 would have been a Dana300 wich someone may have thought was a 20 however the D20 would be a "texas" bolt pattern and the D300 will be a round bolt pattern were it bolts to the trany.
There was a D300 "texas" bolt pattern! However it was only in IH Scouts for 78' and 79'. extremely rare!
What did you get the 3.8 out of. If you mean the 4.0? NO exhaust will not work with 4.0 and 4.2. The head is different. People have bolted it up but it is not correct for ports.

Stumpbumper 07-27-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadPatter (Post 121703)
Heres a question hopefully some one can answer. When i try and put it into 4wd it only works when im rolling, so on a hill. How can i get it in on flat ground, will i have to drive forward/backwards a lil then put into neutral then 4H??? or is something up with my 4wd?:confused:

Ohh and its a 1980 CJ5 4.2L L6 4 speed Manual tranny


Transfercase gears are not sincro'd. You need to roll a little to mesh the gears together. there are arms and slide gears that you are trying to line up! Older jeeps require a little patients.

toshpate 07-27-2011 09:45 AM

geez u guys cant spell ha ha

Scoonr 08-24-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toshpate (Post 1413452)
geez u guys cant spell ha ha

no spell check what are we suposed to do?

ATENAS 10-20-2011 08:33 PM

New toy
 
:punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk:HI, I AM VERY EXITATED, SO THANKS FOR ADDING ME, I AM LOOKING FOR A PAIR OF HARD FULL DOORS FOR MY BABY,SHE IS A RUDE 95 SE, WE ALREADY HAVE THE HARD TOP OF A TJ, I ALREADY TRIED IT THE TJ AND YJ DOORS, OBIOUSLY THEY DID'N MATCH,I THINK WE NEED THE CY DOORS, I AM USING THE SOFT UPPER WINDOW,CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT,IS NOT FUNNY:facepalm:, IF YOU KNOW SOMEWHERE,I CAN GET THEM CHEAP, PLEASE EMAIL ME

jkclyde 12-14-2011 09:41 PM

I just bought a 1978 CJ5 golden eagle all original 304 V8 3sp in the floor with front disk brakes. I need to put on a new brake master cylinder. This is a non booster master cylinder. The guy at the parts store asked was it a 10" or 11" caliper ? Where should I measure to determine the right answer.
I bought this jeep running with everything working for only $800 the only rust is in the bottom of the winshield frame because the cowl seal was shot. I have already started pulling it apart to restore into a good wheeler. I feel like I got the deal of the century I even drove it 40 miles home grinning the whole time!

JKCLYDE 2011 4 door wrangler & 1978 CJ5

1959elcamino 05-17-2012 04:27 PM

chances are if you have a factory rad check it for discoloration or corrosion this could be yur problem

1959elcamino 05-17-2012 04:28 PM

ooppppps wrong problem rookie

85jeep 06-02-2012 10:41 PM

Sway Control - Help
 
Im a first timer on this site. I have an 85 CJ7 - really need help with sway bars, or something.

cattrax 09-13-2012 07:14 AM

Oh please help me!!! My CJ-7 rear axle parts are scattered all over my garage. I looks like my axle threw up seals, springs and barring pieces. It has been a nightmare trying to find the right parts, but I may have them all by Friday. First question is, how to get inner seal back in housing?

Jeepfixer1 06-15-2013 07:19 AM

This thread needs a clean up, hardly any cj problems in here. More just a jumble of basic probs from many makes. Hey if you don't know where it goes then just post it here....NOT!

Judd2 07-11-2014 06:24 AM

clean up
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepfixer1 (Post 3862879)
This thread needs a clean up, hardly any cj problems in here. More just a jumble of basic probs from many makes. Hey if you don't know where it goes then just post it here....NOT!

Agreed!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.