Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Jeep's and Archery (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/jeeps-and-archery-500281.html)

Jeeplover1 01-24-2014 07:41 PM

Jeep's and Archery

Any jeepers that love Archery and shooting bows? I just bought the new PSE full throttle! Its sexy as hell!!!

muddypaws 01-24-2014 10:28 PM

All of my deer and my hog were bow kills!!!

muddypaws 01-24-2014 10:29 PM

Although personally I'm a Matthews girl

Tarless 01-24-2014 10:32 PM

Recurve guy here. Though I don't have a jeep yet.

muddypaws 01-24-2014 10:35 PM

Nice. I've never shot recurve. Id like to though

muddypaws 01-24-2014 10:36 PM

I didn't have my Jeep when i first came here either but it has been an excellent resource both before and after getting her

Jeeplover1 01-24-2014 10:44 PM

Recurve is a challenge for sure! My wife shoots a Pse revenge

Tarless 01-24-2014 10:46 PM

seems jeeps and bows just go together. The bug hit me just recently. Now I'm obsessing over them. I do allot of stuff that a small convertible just doesn't accommodate. I was planning on getting my hunting license and though a pick-up would be ideal a jeep with a hitch is second best.
archery is awesome!

Tarless 01-24-2014 10:48 PM

A compound is the logical way to go but I got this purist thing goin' on.
This boar hunting with spears has really got me intrigued.

curt68 01-24-2014 10:50 PM

shoot a hoyt now since i was 25....want a bowtech now. almost all deer kills with a bow

muddypaws 01-24-2014 10:53 PM

Boar hunting with spears now that could be fun and my Jeeps a convertible Lol

muddypaws 01-24-2014 10:54 PM

Nice Curt try a Matthews though i can't go back my first kill was with a Darton good little bow for the money

Jeeplover1 01-24-2014 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddypaws (Post 7703705)
Nice Curt try a Matthews though i can't go back my first kill was with a Darton good little bow for the money

PSE has some really nice bows too

muddypaws 01-24-2014 11:57 PM

PSEs are nice too:)

Blkruby07 01-26-2014 02:21 AM

I shoot Matthews and my wife shoots bear. I've been shooting since age 15, most of my deer kills are with a bow except a few. Got my wife into it 2 years ago. She's a natural, but hasn't stuck a deer yet. Waiting for the right one!

muddypaws 01-26-2014 02:44 AM

My dad started me at 4 i only 3 bucks and 1 hog all bow kills. Sadly haven't been hunting for a while

Blkruby07 01-26-2014 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddypaws (Post 7731233)
My dad started me at 4 i only 3 bucks and 1 hog all bow kills. Sadly haven't been hunting for a while

Yeah sounds like last hunting season for us. Didn't make time for it like we should have. Defiantly will be in the woods more this coming season.

Jeeplover1 01-26-2014 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blkruby07 (Post 7731153)
I shoot Matthews and my wife shoots bear. I've been shooting since age 15, most of my deer kills are with a bow except a few. Got my wife into it 2 years ago. She's a natural, but hasn't stuck a deer yet. Waiting for the right one!

Sounds like my story. My wife hit one this year but lost blood trail

Blkruby07 01-26-2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeplover1 (Post 7731305)
Sounds like my story. My wife hit one this year but lost blood trail

That's never good at all! My family has 450+ acres and it's hard to keep tresspassers off and poachers away. I spent most of the year walking to my stands and finding guys in climbers on my way. After gun season I ran off 4 guys in just a few days. Our 2 target bucks were killed. Both on our neighbors land so they say. It makes hunting like a job around here.

brandon-99tj 01-26-2014 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curt68 (Post 7703577)
shoot a hoyt now since i was 25....want a bowtech now. almost all deer kills with a bow

I've shot A LOT of bows (there is a archery shop within walking distance) and bowtechs are by far my favorite. So far my favorite is the Invasion. I have even met the family that founded the company. Great people.

OlYellerTJ 01-26-2014 10:53 PM

I cut my teeth on stick bows and cedar arrows. I once made a few arrows and a string, just 'cuz I could. ;-)

I currently have a Hoyt compound but would rather have another stick bow. I MUCH prefer carbon shafts over cedar, now. And, my son wants a stick bow. How the H*LL did that happen? :-D

If you can shoot a stick bow, you can shoot. YMMV, and invariably will...

Jeeplover1 01-27-2014 01:11 AM

Stick bow? Recurve?

curt68 01-27-2014 01:26 AM

bow

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddypaws (Post 7703705)

ive hunted with bear, darton, PSE and HOYT. my first hoyt cracked a limb. sent it back and they had stopped building that bow. they gave me more in trade in than i had originally paid for it. i traded up and got a spectra fast flite hunter (circa 1993) killed several animals with that bow. then i moved to tx. YA!!! unless your a rich man or marry into a family with land you cant hardly afford to hunt here. had one spot i was hunting on (oil company land) but when they pulled out, the land owner was afraid his cattle were going to be dead with arrows in them!!! now im not a 100yr seasoned bowhunting veteran, but im pretty sure i can distinguish between a deer and cattle!!! anyway, i havent hunted down here in years. just started hunting again last year when got invited to go on several dove hunts. i really forgot what i was missing. sometimes, during hunting seasons, i talk to my buddies back home in KS and really miss the hunting!!!
Sorry for the rant!!! :censored:

Jeeplover1 01-27-2014 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curt68 (Post 7759041)
ive hunted with bear, darton, PSE and HOYT. my first hoyt cracked a limb. sent it back and they had stopped building that bow. they gave me more in trade in than i had originally paid for it. i traded up and got a spectra fast flite hunter (circa 1993) killed several animals with that bow. then i moved to tx. YA!!! unless your a rich man or marry into a family with land you cant hardly afford to hunt here. had one spot i was hunting on (oil company land) but when they pulled out, the land owner was afraid his cattle were going to be dead with arrows in them!!! now im not a 100yr seasoned bowhunting veteran, but im pretty sure i can distinguish between a deer and cattle!!! anyway, i havent hunted down here in years. just started hunting again last year when got invited to go on several dove hunts. i really forgot what i was missing. sometimes, during hunting seasons, i talk to my buddies back home in KS and really miss the hunting!!! Sorry for the rant!!! :censored:

I lived there so i know your rant all too well. I have to hunt government land now!

curt68 01-27-2014 02:29 AM

public land up north thinking about trying that and see if have any luck

Jeeplover1 01-27-2014 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curt68 (Post 7759457)
public land up north thinking about trying that and see if have any luck

We hunt a national forest and also military land

OlYellerTJ 01-27-2014 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeplover1 (Post 7758945)
Stick bow? Recurve?

Hey Now, Jeeplover1!
See the "disambiguation" below. ;-)

Bow
noun

1. a flexible strip of wood or other material, bent by a string stretched between its ends, for shooting arrows: He drew the bow and sent the arrow to its target.
2. an instrument resembling this, used for various purposes, as rotating a drill or spindle, or loosening entangled or matted fibers.
3. a bend or curve.
4. Also called bowknot. a looped knot composed of two or more loops and two ends, as for tying together the ends of a ribbon or string.
5. any separate piece of looped, knotted, or shaped gathering of ribbon, cloth, paper, etc., used as a decoration, as on a package, dress, or the like.

Disambiguation: Stickbow:
A traditional bow.
See also: longbow, recurve, short bow, composite, et c.

I miss my old recurve...

Jeeplover1 01-27-2014 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlYellerTJ (Post 7780457)
Hey Now, Jeeplover1! See the "disambiguation" below. ;-) Bow noun 1. a flexible strip of wood or other material, bent by a string stretched between its ends, for shooting arrows: He drew the bow and sent the arrow to its target. 2. an instrument resembling this, used for various purposes, as rotating a drill or spindle, or loosening entangled or matted fibers. 3. a bend or curve. 4. Also called bowknot. a looped knot composed of two or more loops and two ends, as for tying together the ends of a ribbon or string. 5. any separate piece of looped, knotted, or shaped gathering of ribbon, cloth, paper, etc., used as a decoration, as on a package, dress, or the like. Disambiguation: Stickbow: A traditional bow. See also: longbow, recurve, short bow, composite, et c. I miss my old recurve...

I was asking what a stickbow was.. Is it the same as recurve?

OlYellerTJ 01-28-2014 08:45 PM

"Stickbow" is slang for any traditional type of bow. It is a (fancy) stick with a string: longbow, recurve, composite, et c. A stickbow is not a compound or cross bow (no cams, eccentrics or stocks).

Jeeplover1 01-28-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlYellerTJ (Post 7809337)
"Stickbow" is slang for any traditional type of bow. It is a (fancy) stick with a string: longbow, recurve, composite, et c. A stickbow is not a compound or cross bow (no cams, eccentrics or stocks).

Ahh gotcha.. Not my thing i like speed.. But i respect true archery at its finest!