Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   04 TJ Rubicon rear storage box (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/04-tj-rubicon-rear-storage-box-50055.html)

Larrye 05-02-2010 08:16 AM

04 TJ Rubicon rear storage box
 
Looking for ideas for a security tool box to hold off road stuff to be mounted in the rear of my 04 Rubicon. Would like to mount to existing seat bolts having removed the rear seat. Any ideas?

csamn2007 05-02-2010 10:38 AM

If your not looking for anything to big you can always use ammo cans.

Jerry Bransford 05-02-2010 11:11 AM

I had a great aluminum storage box in the back of my recently stolen TJ but the company that made them, Jeep Box, no longer makes them. With Tuffy's equivilent being over $500, too rich for me at this point, I had nearly given up on finding anything as big, light, or lockable until last weekend.

At of all places, Harbor Freight Tools, I found another large locking aluminum storage box. At $170 or so less a 20% off coupon, I got it for $136. Too big to keep the back seat in place, I'll semi-permanently mount it using threaded inserts in the floor and move my backseat into the shed.

It's the smaller box on the right, and it's something like 32" wide. HFT Item # 97012

http://images.harborfreight.com/manu...6999/96990.pdf

It may be a store-only item, their website doesn't show it as being in stock but I'm hearing other HFT stores besides mine have it in stock. To me, this box is ideal if you don't mind not having the back seat in while it is in place.

Larrye 05-02-2010 11:23 AM

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Haven't had the back seat in since I bought the Jeep. Perfect! Thank you!

kidmugg 05-24-2010 12:51 AM

Will this 31" truck box allow an LJ to use the backseat??

03 RUBI 05-24-2010 07:46 PM

Check out my jeep profile and see how I solved the storage problem, along with a place to put the door windows. Might give you some ideas.

Jerry Bransford 05-24-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidmugg (Post 632493)
Will this 31" truck box allow an LJ to use the backseat??

A measuring tape and the dimensions given in the link I posted earlier is all you need to determine that on your own. :)

G54 05-24-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 614340)
I had a great aluminum storage box in the back of my recently stolen TJ but the company that made them, Jeep Box, no longer makes them. With Tuffy's equivilent being over $500, too rich for me at this point, I had nearly given up on finding anything as big, light, or lockable until last weekend.

At of all places, Harbor Freight Tools, I found another large locking aluminum storage box. At $170 or so less a 20% off coupon, I got it for $136. Too big to keep the back seat in place, I'll semi-permanently mount it using threaded inserts in the floor and move my backseat into the shed.

It's the smaller box on the right, and it's something like 32" wide. HFT Item # 97012

http://images.harborfreight.com/manu...6999/96990.pdf

It may be a store-only item, their website doesn't show it as being in stock but I'm hearing other HFT stores besides mine have it in stock. To me, this box is ideal if you don't mind not having the back seat in while it is in place.

Yup. got the same one a while ago. Great deal i think.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/IMG_1819.jpg
http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/IMG_1822.jpg

Jerry Bransford 05-24-2010 08:04 PM

How do you like the direction you mounted yours? I'm not so sure I'd like it if I could only access its contents from the front seats. :)

G54 05-24-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 633263)
How do you like the direction you mounted yours? I'm not so sure I'd like it if I could only access its contents from the front seats. :)

I only mounted it that way because I put the spare in the rear and it would have been too hard to access it past the spare with the top on.
Otherwise I would have mounted it back by the tailgate facing out.

It's not bad getting in it like this though. Actually the previous pics were older. The spare now leans against the box to which I added a couple 2x4s to space it away so the lid opens. (this pic is before the 2x4s were added, but the tire leans against them now since I bolted them to the box.)

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w...0516001545.jpg

Jerry Bransford 05-24-2010 11:07 PM

Gotcha, I figured the spare tire had something to do with that. :)

G54 05-25-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 633486)
Gotcha, I figured the spare tire had something to do with that. :)

Eventually I will probably get a swing out carrier, but it's pretty far down on my list after gears, lockers, winch, ACAs, corner armor, etc. and I really don't mind the look of the tailgate without the tire hanging off it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.