Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Resolution to Overheating Auto Transmission "HOT OIL" Warning (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/resolution-to-overheating-auto-transmission-hot-oil-warning-50189.html)

catamountjk 05-04-2010 08:27 AM

Resolution to Overheating Auto Transmission "HOT OIL" Warning

To all of you who followed and/or commented on my posting in early April where I had a "HOT OIL" warning pop up on the instrument cluster and smoke under my JK (symptoms of an overheated auto transmission) while driving in 4H on the beach, last week JEEP released Service Bulletin # 07-002-10 (Group: Cooling) that carries a date of Feb 16, 2010 which is when its drafting began.

SUBJECT:Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler Kit
OVERVIEW: This bulletin provides part information and installation instructions for a newly released heavy duty transmission cooler.

My JK is in the shop now having this installation done. Hopefully it will eliminate the potential for the auto transmission to overheat during use that this JK is marketed and intended to be capable of.

yj-genral 05-04-2010 10:01 AM

thanks for the update, though i havent had mine over heat a precaution warranty visit might be in my future

Hilldweller 05-04-2010 10:43 AM

Sweet.
Are they paying or you? If you, how much?

My trans overheated twice during my road trip to Arizona and back. Both times were on pretty steep hills, 65-67 degrees out, paved, 40-50 mph, with my trailer in tow.

catamountjk 05-04-2010 11:16 AM

JEEP is paying

CapptainObvious 05-04-2010 11:30 AM

so can anyone w/ an auto jk go in and get this done for free?

JIMBOX 05-04-2010 11:40 AM

:cool: I think the only way you'll get it free, is by having failure of the auto under warranty-or if Chrysler decides to make the aux cooler a TSB issue and I doubt that that'll happen

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

jcf 05-04-2010 11:54 AM

I searched the jeep bulletin #7-002-10 couldn't find anything. Can you tell me where to find more info' on it? I have installed an extra transmission cooler already but if theirs is better I would prefer it, thanks

Hilldweller 05-04-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catamountjk (Post 615940)
JEEP is paying

Do you have the tow package?

clear lake jeepn 05-04-2010 03:33 PM

I know you are relieved cat. Glad to hear they are getting you fixed up!

catamountjk 05-05-2010 12:37 PM

no tow package

catamountjk 05-05-2010 12:38 PM

Thanks for watching this post. We'll see if this is behind me.

catamountjk 05-05-2010 12:38 PM

I would just contact your dealer and refer to the TSB #.

GEM1N1 05-05-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 616031)
Do you have the tow package?

Maybe a dumb question but does the tow package already have a tranny cooler?

Hilldweller 05-06-2010 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEM1N1 (Post 617203)
Maybe a dumb question but does the tow package already have a tranny cooler?

They all have a trans cooler --- I was just wondering if he got a free upgrade due to a tow package.
I'm definitely going to try and get this done.

jk'n 05-06-2010 07:24 AM

@bill:

Or you could have just gotten a standard...problem solved...although then you might be doing a lot of jogging. :p

JIMBOX 05-06-2010 09:16 AM

:D I talked to Chrysler TSB center yesterday and they have never heard of any bulletin(7-002-10) for an additional (AUX) cooler and no TSB is being issued !!!

Just put one in it's easy, makes all the diff. in the world and I even put temp gauges to show the auto "hot fluid out" temp and return temp, after being cooled

Sometimes ya just gotta bite the bullet !!

Hilldweller 05-06-2010 09:57 AM

Lifted from another forum:

Quote:

Originally Posted by deconstructionist (Post 1643450)
Ok here ya go- quoting from the sheet they gave me

FACTORY TRANSMISSION AUXILLARY COOLER

Service Bullitin: Number 07-002-10
Group: Cooling
Date: Feb 16 2010
Subject: Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler Kit

Models: 2007-2010 JK Wrangler (International Vehicles only)

Quatity Part Number Description
1 05183566AA Cooler, Transmission Oil
2 6807188AA Fitting, Hose
2 68071885AA Fitting, Hose
4 04596424AA Clamp, Hose
AR (1) 3879925 Bulk Hose- 1 Installation will rq, approx 64 in.
AR (1) 05013457AA Fluid, Transmission ATF+4
1 06508074AA Bolt
1 050190556AA Foam
AR (1) 04856503 14 5/8 in Bulk (50 ties per pk) Tie,Cable Ties Strap) 1 install will rq 1 tie
AR (1) 05179671AA Corrosion Inhibitor
AR (1) NPN Black Paint.

pokey 05-06-2010 10:55 PM

Congratulations catamount. You deserve it. I wished you luck in your first post.

catamountjk 05-07-2010 09:32 AM

Thanks Pokey. Issue resolved for the time being. Pix of my daughter (no sunglasses) and friends at the scene of the crime. Pix of the new transmission cooler. JEEP had to tear down transmission and rebuild as well due to internal heat damage replacing numerous internal components. Thanks for encouraging me to stick with it.

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/7054/dscn3498u.jpg

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/4...o050710001.jpg

JIMBOX 05-07-2010 09:40 AM

:cool: Congradulations-That cooler looks like a BIG ONE, I wonder why they put it so low-sense you don't have an A/C condenser ??

Mine is near the top of the grill louvers, for better air flow

Anyway, good luck, the extra cooler makes all the difference in the world

GroundHawg 05-07-2010 10:17 AM

awesome. every auto JK owner needs one. i've got a tow package jeep, and it's cooler sucks. i've got dinged once while offroad, and in heavy traffic it gets pretty hot but has never dinged at me. i'm installing one probably near the end of summer.

i heard if you install one of these and prove it to chrysler, they'll reimberce you. i dont know if that rumor is true, but it's worth a try. what's the worse that could happen? they say no? ohhhhh that's nothing new

JIMBOX 05-07-2010 10:26 AM

:rolleyes: It is a rumor, in-order to get re-imbursed for YOUR cooler installation--

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroundHawg (Post 618548)
awesome. every auto JK owner needs one. i've got a tow package jeep, and it's cooler sucks. i've got dinged once while offroad, and in heavy traffic it gets pretty hot but has never dinged at me. i'm installing one probably near the end of summer.

i heard if you install one of these and prove it to chrysler, they'll reimberce you. i dont know if that rumor is true, but it's worth a try. what's the worse that could happen? they say no? ohhhhh that's nothing new

You have have the TBS (J30), done by a dealer and certified---Then if you've already installed an aux cooler, prior to this point, you can send the receipts (copies) to the Chrysler Recall Customer Assistance--for your money

Othetwise--NO DEAL

GroundHawg 05-07-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 618554)
:rolleyes: It is a rumor, in-order to get re-imbursed for YOUR cooler installation--

You have have the TBS (J30), done by a dealer and certified---Then if you've already installed an aux cooler, prior to this point, you can send the receipts (copies) to the Chrysler Recall Customer Assistance--for your money

Othetwise--NO DEAL

wow! So it's true. So I need them to install the idiot light first at a dealership? I haven't done that. I just get a "mystery chime" but nothing lights up. I figured since that's not a real fix, I'm not going to bother. The only transmission issue I've been to the dealership for was torque chatter, TSB flashed under warranty. That chatter is back too.

Does the dealership need to install a cooler too? I was going to just do it myself.

JIMBOX 05-07-2010 07:37 PM

:cool: I don't think the dealer will install that neat coole,r unless you've had xmission failure!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroundHawg (Post 618885)
wow! So it's true. So I need them to install the idiot light first at a dealership? I haven't done that. I just get a "mystery chime" but nothing lights up. I figured since that's not a real fix, I'm not going to bother. The only transmission issue I've been to the dealership for was torque chatter, TSB flashed under warranty. That chatter is back too.

Does the dealership need to install a cooler too? I was going to just do it myself.

You might be able to talk them into it anyway, but it won't be free--it's not a TSB !!

gryph 05-07-2010 08:08 PM

I didn't see your original post but when you have the Jeep on the beach be sure to air down the tires to 18-20psi. Not doing this really works the trans and suspension much harder than needed. In addition fully inflated tires leaves the ruts with washboards that will rattle everyone elses filling right out of there teeth.

GroundHawg 05-07-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 618923)
:cool: I don't think the dealer will install that neat coole,r unless you've had xmission failure!!

You might be able to talk them into it anyway, but it won't be free--it's not a TSB !!

Oh ok I get it. Wait till the trans melts, then Chrysler will hook you up with a cooler. After you pay 1000 bucks for a rebuild, they "give you" a $50 cooler. What a deal! :rofl:

gryph 05-08-2010 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Trans probably overheated beacause you're running on the beach with fully inflated tires.

Hey look at the bright side, at least you didn't get stuck !!!

catamountjk 05-08-2010 10:47 PM

The TSB is out there. It has been confirmed by other readers as well Trust me. You just have to speak to someone at Chrysler JEEP who knows what they are talking about. They have a problem. They know it. Now they are trying to fix it.

GroundHawg 05-08-2010 11:46 PM

An idiot light with a chime being installed isn't a fix for the 42RLE heat issue. It's just a way for Chrysler the day something happens that hurts or kills somebody Chrysler can say " hey! We installed a warning! It's YOUR fault your Jeep caught on fire and burned your family, not ours." Weasels.

Can't imagine why Chrysler went belly up last year. With exceptional customer service and customer satisfaction and all.

Oh well. At least our accelerators don't stick. Your Jeep just explodes into flames after you melt the transmission out. Actually, I'd rather the accelerator stuck. Maybe then I could get it up to 70mph :rofl:

Hilldweller 05-09-2010 05:58 AM

It overheats way too easily.
I overheated my trans twice with normal highway driving in cool conditions.