Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Turn signal light comes on when headlights are turned on?!?! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/turn-signal-light-comes-on-when-headlights-are-turned-on-50216.html)

LIMEGREENWITHENVY 05-04-2010 04:50 PM

Turn signal light comes on when headlights are turned on?!?!

Just got a 97 TJ that has been sitting for about 2 years. when i jumped it it started right up and then i started checking everything, when i pull the switch for the headlights my right turn signal light comes on:crash:. Doesnt anyone know what causes this? could it be a burnt bulb or something?? any help is greatly appriciated!!!

jwm1986 05-04-2010 05:00 PM

Does it flash or just light up? Could be a wire crossed somewhere or not grounded good... Maybe a bad or wrong bulb, but not as likely. May seem all obvious, but it's hard to troubleshoot wiring over the internet!

TheTJRod 05-04-2010 05:02 PM

Sounds more like a short in the light switch. It is common problem for the light switch to go bad. Though I haven't heard of this problem. More with the fog lights stop working. I would start there. Check some grounds or fuses to see if there is any corrosion and replace and clean as necessary.

LIMEGREENWITHENVY 05-04-2010 05:06 PM

ok thanks. i also tried the fog lights and they didnt come on. the light just stays on and i think the r/r tail light turn signal doesnt work either.

Wyominer 05-04-2010 10:48 PM

Check your marker lights/turn signals. I'm willing to bet one is out on the right side.

zpratt4 05-04-2010 11:29 PM

I had that happen to me before where only one of the turn signal lights came on and stayed on. It was just a bulb burnt out. Check all of your lights to see if they are burning first, just in case it is any easy fix like that.

daanbc 05-05-2010 08:05 AM

One of your bulbs are out. Check each one.

AfterMath 05-05-2010 08:30 AM

Agreed. I've had this happen several times. Chances are your front right signal light is burnt out. My old signal wasn't water tight (replaced it later) so I was replacing bulbs about once a month.

LIMEGREENWITHENVY 05-05-2010 04:29 PM

ok i do believe my rear right bulb is out.. but in the front its a little tricky. the guy i got the tj from had cut his fenders so theres no side or front marker light... but he does have a 4'' led light mounted in the grille. if i put the hazards on the front led turn signals work.. i will check the lights when i get back home hopefully its an easy fix like zpratt said. since im on a little vaca. i wasnt able to do much since i left the day after i got it.
will i still have that problem after i replace the rear bulb? thanks again for everyones help!

jeepinvancouver 05-18-2010 12:23 AM

Hey Bud - I have EXACTLY the same problem, but mine is left side....
I just got my vehicle back from the shop - the front fender was replaced. I'm guessing it's a crossed wire as this wasn't happening before it went in. I'm gonna take a look tomorrow & see if it's anything obvious - if so I will let you know. If it goes back in for them to fix, I will get a report and post it.
Cheers.