Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Aussie locker LOUD in 4WD (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/aussie-locker-loud-in-4wd-504601.html)

408jeeper 01-27-2014 12:07 PM

Aussie locker LOUD in 4WD

I just installed an Aussie locker in my Dana 30 recently and just took it out wheeling for the first time today. On the street you barley hear the small clicks it does but while offroading in 4WD the clicks are loud every time I turn the wheel slightly. Every time I turn slightly I hear the loud clicks and they are always click when I turn. Maybe it not fully locked?

Can anyone help?

479jeep 01-27-2014 04:23 PM

The noise that you are hearing is the locker ratcheting. Letting the outside wheel spin faster than the inside wheel.
The sound is normal.

408jeeper 01-27-2014 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 479jeep (Post 7772649)
The noise that you are hearing is the locker ratcheting. Letting the outside wheel spin faster than the inside wheel. The sound is normal.

It's pretty loud though when in 4WD and it does it everytime I turn slightly. Should the wheels be fully locked in 4WD

Nlburden 01-27-2014 06:08 PM

in 4wd it should be locked yes. Did you install it yourself? Did you do the spin test? I haven't got around to installing mine yet however i have been doing reading, i heard it does make a lot of noise in 4wd, a common thing i heard is to try thicker gear oil.

408jeeper 01-27-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nlburden (Post 7775281)
in 4wd it should be locked yes. Did you install it yourself? Did you do the spin test? I haven't got around to installing mine yet however i have been doing reading, i heard it does make a lot of noise in 4wd, a common thing i heard is to try thicker gear oil.

I installed it myself and I put 85-140 gear oil. I did the spin test and it did pass I think I will order new thrust washers and pinion shaft and remove and reinstall it

1jeeplvr 01-27-2014 06:18 PM

I went thru the same thing as you when I did my Aussie last year.I pulled it apart twice,measured & remeasured,replaced the washers & hardened pin.In 4wd on the trails & turning it sounds awful at times.Ive put prob 3000 miles on it & its worked flawlessly so far.No worries.

408jeeper 01-27-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 7775617)
I went thru the same thing as you when I did my Aussie last year.I pulled it apart twice,measured & remeasured,replaced the washers & hardened pin.In 4wd on the trails & turning it sounds awful at times.Ive put prob 3000 miles on it & its worked flawlessly so far.No worries.

Did the noise go away or does it still make clicks in 4wd?

1jeeplvr 01-27-2014 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 408jeeper (Post 7776169)
Did the noise go away or does it still make clicks in 4wd?

Still there,sounds like my front end is loose.But its not.

408jeeper 01-27-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 7776289)
Still there,sounds like my front end is loose.But its not.

Ya it sounds like the whole front end is about to break every single time I turn the wheel slightly in 4wd. A local wheeler said it shouldn't be like that so I'm going to take it apart and hopefully find the problem

1jeeplvr 01-27-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 408jeeper (Post 7776385)
Ya it sounds like the whole front end is about to break every single time I turn the wheel slightly in 4wd. A local wheeler said it shouldn't be like that so I'm going to take it apart and hopefully find the problem

Id like to see if you find anything.All my measurements were spot on.I even called Aussie on it.Keep us posted.

408jeeper 01-27-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 7778113)
Id like to see if you find anything.All my measurements were spot on.I even called Aussie on it.Keep us posted.

I will I will post up what happens once I et my new washers and shafts

elite56 01-27-2014 08:50 PM

If you installed it correctly and it was within the proper ranges then you have nothing to worry about.
Straight from Aussie's website " You can feel a mild tightening in the steering wheel which is a result of both front wheels having incredible traction, and driving more equally. There will be a self centering effect on the steering wheel in sand and off-road driving."
So that ^ is what you're feeling when turning. The noise is because there's an incredible amount of torque coming from the engine to your locker in 4wd. The locker is attempting to "unlock" it's self so that your wheels can spin at different rates.

408jeeper 01-27-2014 08:55 PM

Everytime I turn the steering wheel slightly it does these loud clicks though in 4wd. Everyone looks over as if so etching is breaking or broken

elite56 01-27-2014 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 408jeeper (Post 7780401)
Everytime I turn the steering wheel slightly it does these loud clicks though in 4wd. Everyone looks over as if so etching is breaking or broken

Maybe you should read up a little on the subject. Of course it's going to unlock when you're turning because it is meant to. It is just not as loud in 2wd because there's no torque going from the transfer case to the front axle then.
You can replace stuff if you'd like but you will just waste your time in doing so.

408jeeper 01-27-2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 7775617)

Where did you buy the new side gear thrust washers and cross shaft? Can you give me the links because I can't find them, only in kits

robhurlburt 01-28-2014 11:59 AM

my aussie is def not LOUD on the trail.

408jeeper 01-28-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robhurlburt (Post 7794801)
my aussie is def not LOUD on the trail.

I just ordered new thrust washers and pinion shaft from Yukon and will reinstall it and make sure all measurements are correct and get back to you guys. Cause my Aussie clicks loudly every single time I turn the wheel slightly in 4WD on dirt

SCOOPYS-YJ 01-28-2014 06:29 PM

my buddy had a Spartan in his tj, alxays made more noise than my lockright in my yj, come to find out he had a cracked carrier

04-unlimited- 05-11-2014 06:40 PM

funny just got home from 1st test ride with locker and was like is all this noise normal , lol

so it is ! ok thx

DoubleOught 05-11-2014 07:08 PM

When we put the Aussie in the front of my son's 97 last summer, it had the same symptoms and noises you have described. It was the first made in USA unit I have ever installed. All the others I have installed (at least 6 or 7) were made in Australia and although somewhat noisy when new, not near as bad as the unit I put in my son's. I have a friend in Florida who had to replace one in a D30 because he neglected some water in his front diff and it too was very noisy and was also a made in USA unit. I disassembled my son's, rechecked everything and reassembled, and did all the checks and tests per the instructions. It is much quieter now and have had no problems with it. Visually, I could not see any differences than with the Australian made units but apparently something has changed.