Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Broken Bolt (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/broken-bolt-50545.html)

Bruck 05-10-2010 12:57 PM

Broken Bolt

So I was installing my 2"BB this weekend and when I was removing the rear shocks, the outside bolts on both of the shock snapped off on me. I have tried everything from backing them down from the top (I can see the other side of the bolt from the wheel well) and even have tried drilling them out with no luck. I have gotten pretty deep in one bolt, but don't seem to be making any more progress. I have tried various drill bits to no avail. Any thoughts out there on how to resolve this pain in my ass?? The front is done and the back is all set with the exception of not being able to install the shocks. I'm stuck. Any thoughts out there?:banghead:

whiteyj 05-10-2010 12:59 PM

If you've managed to drill into the bolts.... What about EZOuts?

Bruck 05-10-2010 01:47 PM

I'm a bit leary of them as I have been told that if they break off you are more screwed than you were before you started. Maybe I should take another look.

jtraider 05-10-2010 02:15 PM

know anyone that welds? i had a friend weld a nut on the end of a bolt. then we put a wrench on it and tapped the wrench with a hammer until it broke loose.

Bruck 05-10-2010 02:25 PM

My brother in law will be coming over next weekend. He is a mechanic and does weld. I think he will likely be able to come up with something, but I am going nuts seeing my baby up on jack stands and there being nothing I can do about it. Periodically I go out and try drilling more, but I'm not sure it is doing any good. :crash:

nater344 05-12-2010 07:54 PM

Take a hammer and chisel and knock off the welded on factory nut on the upper side of the shock mount. Then simply tack another nut on top...fixed. If you don't have a welder used locktite and double nut it.

It is the easiest way...trust me as I have been in your situation twice.

Jp90Talon 05-12-2010 08:00 PM

I had the same happen to me when swapping my rear shocks. All 4 bolts broke off. I ended up getting an air hammer and popping the welded nuts out. I then made my own reverse nut serts (piece of metal with a bolt welded in through it) that I dropped down to attach the shocks to so that if I went to swap them down the road the new bolts wouldnt just spin.

Bruck 05-13-2010 05:21 AM

Thanks guys...Update. I have been able to get the drivers side bolt out. Still working on the passenger side. I've been drilling after work (not the kind I prefer I might add). I plan on doing something with a nut because the threads are trashed. The air hammer idea is interesting especially because I own one. I'll keep everyone posted. This is really annoying as the rest of the lift is done. Just need to get those freakin rear shocks in and get an alignment. However, the front lift looks a little higher than I expected. I have a Rubicon and wonder if with the stiffer springs I may have gotten more lift and will need to drop the transfer case.

TJeepman 05-13-2010 07:08 AM

Must be hard on the drill bits. You will get there though. I often drill the side or end of a nut when the going gets tough. Sometimes a nut splitter will work, but not always. Just drilled the side of a solid steel bar for a trailer hitch yesterday, to get it to slide in a little further past a glitch, so I could put the pin in. The drill can be an excellent "bailout" tool.

I will be getting around to replacing my shocks one of these days. How does one guard against breaking the (fragile) bolts?

nater344 05-13-2010 08:22 AM

TJeepman - I soaked mine with PB blaster twice a day for over a week and one of mine still broke off!

Bruckerw - make sure when you are drilling the broken bolt out that the hole is straight...the shock mounts don't often give you much to hold on to and if it's not straight it won't hold well and your shock will come lose.

jdhallissey 05-13-2010 08:30 AM

You really can't drill them-- one not enough room and 2 you really have to get a custom hardened bit for drilling those out.

Remove the inner liner of your wheel well and you can see the 2 welded nuts. Grab a prybar and a 4 pound sledge (hammer) and beat on them. It will take a while but they will break off then just get some new hardware from ace or menards.

Bruck 05-13-2010 12:47 PM

Unfortunately not all that straight, but I am going to double nut the bolt on top of the factory nut welded to the frame along with using a washer. Hoping that will get it tight enough.

rrich 05-13-2010 05:13 PM

After fighting them like you have, I finally got smart.
It takes about 15 minutes per side now.

EASY!

Look from the outside between the body and frame. You can see the upper end of the broken bolt.
Reach in there with needle nosed Vice grips. Simply turn the bolt out - downward. Usually you only have to turn it 1/2 turn then it unscrews easy.

Sometimes it's too tight a space to reach in - loosen the body mounts close by and lift the body an inch or so.

When you put new ones in, use grade 5 or 8's with anti-seize.

Bruck 05-13-2010 06:44 PM

Tried that bro...They are seized. I'm going to go back on what I said and blow off the nuts welded to the frame like was previously suggested. This welding thing is not going to work. Thanks for the previous suggestion. You were right. :wavey:

computeruser 05-13-2010 09:38 PM

Some of mine did that. I had them torched out, the hole cleaned up, and just use a bolt+washer+nut through the resulting hole in the bracket now.