Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Oil Change (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/oil-change-50596.html)

dsobotka 05-11-2010 10:13 AM

Oil Change

Have a new 2010 Jeep Wrangler sport 4x4 3.8L V6. has 2700 mi on it and change oil light came on. Book says change at 6000mi. Should I change oil? Why so early?

wrangler0 05-11-2010 10:24 AM

They recommend you do your first oil change at 3k.....then 6k, after that, every 6k is fine.
That's what I plan on doing.

Ive read in various places that some people do their first oil change at 1k due to small pieces of metal breaking off of a new engine and getting into the oil.
Jeep breaks in their engines prior to shipping them off, so I was told that isn't necessary....

I'm sure you'll get lots of different opinions on here!!!

malkman 05-11-2010 11:35 AM

Changed my oil at 800 miles and then every 3000 thereafter. I use Mobil 1 syn. figure its cheep insurance. My guess is that the light comes on when there is a certain amount of restriction in the oil filter (I don't know this to be true). I would change the oil and filter and see if that corrects the problem.

jk'n 05-11-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsobotka (Post 621206)
Have a new 2010 Jeep Wrangler sport 4x4 3.8L V6. has 2700 mi on it and change oil light came on. Book says change at 6000mi. Should I change oil? Why so early?

Owners manual says no need to change break-in oil. Oil changes recommended at every 6K unless certain conditions apply like a lot of off road use for instance. Normal driving every 6K. The oil change interval is modified by how you drive according to some algorithm and is programmed into the computer but the change interval can be set by the dealer to either 3000 or 6000 miles. Mine is set to 6000 miles and the reminder starts at 500 before the set interval. All of this is described in the owner's manual. Don't let the dealer try and talk you into the 3000 mile interval or play stupid about changing to 6000 if that is what floats your boat. Mine is every 6000 because my boat floats that way.

JIMBOX 05-11-2010 12:04 PM

:rolleyes: The oil change lite has nothing to do with the oil condition !!

It's a programmed sequence in the ECM program and it's based on duty TIME, not oil condition

When you change the oil you'll still have to do the key/pedal trick, to erase the dash light

I also use Mobile one and K&N 1002 (1" hex end),filter, once a year !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

popstop785 05-11-2010 01:12 PM

My 09 I first changed at 4.5k then every 5 or 6k after that. I'm nearing 19k miles and I have changed it 3 times I think?

Every time I have taken it in it has been given a good overall inspection. Even the filter has only been changed once (the last time actually) because it stayed rather clean. My LK is a easy vehicle to maintain that is for sure. I love her! :)

Bennny 05-11-2010 01:49 PM

I don't care if the dealership says you don't have to do the first oil change early, I do. For various reasons, the main one being you can never be too careful. This is especially true for the motor, and oil changes are something cheap that is the heart of your motor. I did my first oil change at 1500 miles, and when I get around 10,000 miles on the motor i'll switch to fully synthetic after the seals settle. From then on i'll change the oil every 3,000 with Mobil 1 fully synthetic because, and without a doubt, it's always better to be safe than sorry with keeping fluids in the motor clean.

hig4s 05-11-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malkman (Post 621259)
Changed my oil at 800 miles and then every 3000 thereafter. I use Mobil 1 syn. figure its cheep insurance. My guess is that the light comes on when there is a certain amount of restriction in the oil filter (I don't know this to be true). I would change the oil and filter and see if that corrects the problem.

What a waste, regular oil easily lasts 6k, synth easily lasts 10K. You are wasting money by buying synth when you change that often, and wasting oil resources by using twice as much or more oil than you need.

I have been using synth oil changed at 10K on the last 6 vehicles I've owned over the last 13 years. Never had an oil related problem, and my son still drives our 98 with over 160K miles on it.

white91yj 05-11-2010 04:26 PM

every 3000 here
because i've owned too many shitboxes with caked on burnt oil in this life

popstop785 05-11-2010 04:27 PM

I read somewhere in a different Jeep forum the oil light can be triggered earlier depending on how high and often the RPMs are hit. If that holds true then if you are a lead foot driver you will hit oil light more often...does anyone know if this is true?

greene91 05-11-2010 04:34 PM

I agree with hig4s, its a total waste to change your full synthetic every 3K. I run full synthetic and change mine every 10K.......no problems. It works out pretty sweet cause I put about 10K on per year, so an oil change once a year, sweet!

PecosRiver 05-11-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 621279)

When you change the oil you'll still have to do the key/pedal trick, to erase the dash light

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

Key pedal trick? They didnít clear the oil change light last time.

I get mine done every 3000 miles or so. When I bought the JK, I also bought the lifetime oil service with the vehicle. Iíve got it on my wifeís Grand Cher. too and weíve surpassed the break even point already. I can take my Jeep in as often or little as Iíd like and they change it no questions asked.

I leave for Chicago around the 20th and will have the oil changed at around 1500 miles prior to the trip and then at 3000 miles after I return.

gologit 05-11-2010 04:53 PM

Hmmmmm...I think I'll buy more stock in Mobil, Chevron, and Texaco. You guys changing your oil so often (and so needlessly) is really good for business.

wrangler0 05-11-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gologit (Post 621557)
Hmmmmm...I think I'll buy more stock in Mobil, Chevron, and Texaco. You guys changing your oil so often (and so needlessly) is really good for business.

I was just gona say! ;)

I also don't understand why it's so hard for people to accept that new modern engines don't need to have the oil changed every 3k like older engines.

Unless you're putting lot's of stress on the engine....what's the point??

RaiderRUBICON 05-13-2010 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrangler0 (Post 621564)
I was just gona say! ;)

I also don't understand why it's so hard for people to accept that new modern engines don't need to have the oil changed every 3k like older engines.

Unless you're putting lot's of stress on the engine....what's the point??

Yes I agree with most of you guys,extra oil changes are a major waste of money.Oil change at 1000miles,how rediculous. I know in the 50s and 60s doing oil changes early and often was a good idea,but not anymore.:)

GroundHawg 05-13-2010 10:58 AM

You can't just go by that light either. I use mobil1 synthetic and I check my stick at 3,000. Usually I add at little bit, 1/2 quart maybe. Then I check it again at 5,000. If it looks bad I change it at 5,000. If it's clean still I add more if needed then run it to 7 or 8,000 then usually change it. Very rare can I get it to 10,000 still looking good. The oil might last 10k but the filter doesn't. Just keep an eye on your oil level and color and you'll be fine. Let the engine tell you when to change it out.

tangofoxtrot 05-13-2010 03:41 PM

My change oil light came on at 2800 miles and then every 6000.

drivebytruckerz 05-13-2010 04:09 PM

When in doubt change it out.. Better safe than sorry. Oil changes are good, and your Jeep will love you for it.

Bryans2000TJ 05-13-2010 06:24 PM

Mine came on at 2500 and I had it changed that day. When I go to sell mine in the future the advertisement will read "Jeep for sale, oil changed every 3000 miles". During a 60,000 mile run changing at 5,000 at $40 a pop the cost is $480. A 60,000 mile run changing at 3000 at $40 a pop is $800. To me the extra "expense" of $320 is well worth the perceived return and having the documentation in case of an engine warranty event with the dealer. Just my .02

hig4s 05-15-2010 04:06 PM

Back when I got my first car, the savings for doing changes every 5000 instead of 3000 was all of $30. I still found I could spend that $30 on better things than oil I didn't really need. And yes, I have been ignoring that stupid 3000 mile rule since the early 70s.

Mercedes-Benz vehicles with the use of synthetic motor oils specifies with its Flexible Service System ( FSS) extended their drain intervals from 12,000 up to 20,000 miles.

That is from the engineers who designed the engines.

And any perceived value, is just that, perceived no real.

The more and faster we use it, the less we have and the more expensive it becomes.

TJeepman 05-15-2010 04:46 PM

The oil type and filter used are really a package these days. A filter used for an extended oil changes may be less efficient at taking out the >20 micron size material, as one trades off efficiency (which can range from 80% to 99% depending on the media used in the filter) for filter capacity.
If the oil is in the engine twice as long, then the filter will have to hold twice as much contaminants. Getting those contaminants out on a more frequent basis can't be bad.

Unfortunately most oil filter Manufacturers aren't forthright with how long their filter should be used when it comes to extended oil change intervals. They mostly insinuate and leave the assumptions and risks to the Consumer - that's you - to implement. They often resort to "the vehicle manufacturer's specifications" when asked to "cut to the chase".

There are some high efficiency filters out there that are suitable for extended oil change intervals. When the State of California did fleet tests a few years back, only one filter Manufacturer stood behind their filter for extended oil change intervals. From this site:
Quote:

Each filter manufacturer underwent substantial research by DTSC staff. This included phone calls and website reviews of major auto supply stores. Staff found several high-end, spin-on filters that contain synthetic media and reinforced structure. However, the Fram X2 Extended Guard, a traditional, spin-on, full-flow filter design, was the only filter located by DTSC that claimed to extend oil change intervals. Its manufacturer claimed an extended 7,000 miles oil-and-filter change interval because of the reinforced, synthetic nylon fiber construction. Its single pass efficiency is approximately 96 percent at 10-20 μm, slightly lower than the 98 percent attributed to other high-end, spin-on filters.
The 7000 miles is on top of the normal 3000 miles = 10,000 miles.

That report on the study is dated June 2008, not that long ago.

jake_blue 05-15-2010 05:08 PM

I've already heard that the 3,000 or 6,000, or even in the case of 10,000+ synthetics, it's not always the oil that is the culprit but the oil filter. Unfortunately it seems virtually impossible to change the filter without the engine draining out. I did have an Oldmobile that was designed to allow this but sadly they aren't manufactured anymore.

In terms of how I've maintained my Jeep, it came with a 60,000 routine maintenance plan so until that's up I've been religious about oil changes because they cost me nothing. After that I'm planning to switch over to a synthetic oil and high-quality brand filter and I can then gauge an approaching interval based on the oil life monitor reminder. Even if it's not necessary, it does seem to me a very inexpensive way to maximize the life of one's engine.

One other thing (since I'm definitely NOT a car person) how much of the total capacity of oil is actually displaced at a standard oil change? I've heard that in some engines it could only be half of the total volume of oil the engine contains, so in that case it stands to reason that more frequent change intervals would be necessary... but I think this philosophy coincides with the "it's not the oil it's the filter" philosophy.

TJeepman 05-15-2010 06:48 PM

That 50% is about right for an automatic transmission, but for engine oil, it all comes out except for a very small residual amount.

bigjay0512 05-17-2010 11:26 AM

I had my oil changed in my 2010 for the first time at 4500 miles and now the oil light just came on again at 5600 miles??

daggo66 05-17-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjay0512 (Post 626507)
I had my oil changed in my 2010 for the first time at 4500 miles and now the oil light just came on again at 5600 miles??

The "oil light" or the change oil message. If the oil light came on, your engine is toast. If the change oil message came on, it most likely was not reset.

bigjay0512 05-17-2010 11:45 AM

daggo- sorry, just the change oil light came on..how do I reset it?

daggo66 05-17-2010 11:48 AM

Turn your key to the "on" position without starting the engine. Fully depress the accelerator to the floor 3 times. Turn the key to "off".

bigjay0512 05-17-2010 12:28 PM

thanks daggo

wheels082 05-22-2010 12:45 PM

I drive about 10,000 mile a year. My new Wrangler will get a once a year oil change using Amsoil oil and their own filter which is designed for synthetic oil and longer drain intervals. This has worked great on my 94 Cherokee for over 16 years!

PartyPat 06-02-2010 01:25 PM

thanks daggo, going to try this now.