Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   WF New Member Check In (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/)
-   -   Steering Stabilizer (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f12/steering-stabilizer-50650.html)

uniquetj 05-12-2010 12:06 AM

Steering Stabilizer

Hey everybody, I'm fairly new to the Jeep world and very new to this forum. So I thought that I would start out by asking you guys about steering stabilizers. I just recently put a set of 31x10.50 BF Goodrich All Terrains on my TJ and so far I really like them. However I thought that since my TJ has 70K on it and now it's running bigger tires it's probably a good time to throw on a new steering stabilizer. So if anybody has any suggestions of what would be a good one to get,I would love to know what you think. Thanks :)

jdhallissey 05-12-2010 01:00 AM

Just the cheapest one autozone has or napa. Like 30 bucks for a monroe. I actually don't have a steering stabilizer on right now it broke lol. I have been driving without the stabilizer for a little over 3 weeks with no ill effects.

bergy 05-12-2010 03:05 AM

yeah if you really feel the need to replace it a cheap one from the local parts dealer will do

GroundHawg 05-12-2010 04:50 AM

Stabilizers are one of the most overrated parts out there. They don't do too much. They basically just mask problems. They help a little with that wandering you get with wide tires, but not much. And don't believe for one second they cure death wobble. They hide it, and when it reappears, its going to be 10 times worse.

uniquetj 05-12-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroundHawg (Post 622001)
Stabilizers are one of the most overrated parts out there. They don't do too much. They basically just mask problems. They help a little with that wandering you get with wide tires, but not much. And don't believe for one second they cure death wobble. They hide it, and when it reappears, its going to be 10 times worse.

Yeah luckily I don't have the dreaded death wobble anymore after I had my tires rebalanced. But yeah I wasn't looking to mask the problem I was just looking to absorb the shock from bumps.

GroundHawg 05-12-2010 10:58 AM

Yeah they help a bit after you hit a pothole or something. My advice is if your factory stabilizer is still on and isn't busted, run it. 31's won't give you any trouble. You'll probably wander more. The tires find flaws and valleys in the road that you won't see and it creates the illusion of poor handling and flighty steering. Actually it's normal behavior for oversized tires.

You'll be cool with your current stabilizer.

uniquetj 05-12-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroundHawg (Post 622152)
Yeah they help a bit after you hit a pothole or something. My advice is if your factory stabilizer is still on and isn't busted, run it. 31's won't give you any trouble. You'll probably wander more. The tires find flaws and valleys in the road that you won't see and it creates the illusion of poor handling and flighty steering. Actually it's normal behavior for oversized tires.

You'll be cool with your current stabilizer.

Ok cool thanks man

nick50471 05-12-2010 12:15 PM

welcome to WF. Can't wait for Viking's football. My wife and I will be in Mankato to watch some of training camp. We have had season tickets for 11 years. Go Vikes