Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Power Locks (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/power-locks-50781.html)

doclouie 05-13-2010 10:04 PM

Power Locks

2 Attachment(s)
Okay so I put power locks in my Jeep a couple months ago and am just getting around to posting how it was done. I got all my parts from MES Power door lock kits. Swiss made power door locks.. I got the 4 door kit so I have an extra lock motor. This is the more expensive kit that has the Swiss made locks rather than the cheap Chinese made garbage. Here is a picture of how I mounted the motor in the door.

Attachment 19074

Attachment 19075

I will add more information as this was a pretty long Saturday. I also put a motor in the rear gate with a bypass switch.

doclouie 05-13-2010 10:18 PM

More power lock stuff

2 Attachment(s)
So here is the rear lock motor and the switch I put in the dash. I of course tied everything into the remote lock system so I never need to use the key. I will post wiring diagrams and more if there is any interest in how to do this.

Attachment 19077

Attachment 19078

Like I said this took me the best part of a Saturday, but I am a perfectionist when it come to my Jeep so it took quite a bit longer. The cost came in to right around $130, but all the parts are high quality and should outlast the Jeep. All the tools that were needed were a soldering iron, pliers or a vise and connectors for when you remove the doors, two standard relays and some wire. Let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to help anyone out.

doclouie 05-13-2010 10:31 PM

Door connectors

I forgot to mention here is where I got the door connectors.
SAE 2 Pin | Bohemian Biker Blog
They are high quality and the guy is great to deal with. I found him on Ebay, but have dealt with him several times.

It is great to hit a key to open my doors when it is raining or snowing rather than fumble for a key.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 05-13-2010 11:20 PM

:eek: $130...ouch!
Why so much?
I presume it must have been for the transmitter and receiver part of the system,
as the components used for the job are very inexpensive.

doclouie 05-13-2010 11:23 PM

Yes that was the remote part of the system along with the high quality components. I am an engineer and can not stand sub standard components. I would rather do it one right than several times because it was cheap.
You could do it for about $40 if you didn't have the remote transmitter and Chinese parts.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 05-13-2010 11:33 PM

What did you end up paying for the Actuators themselves?
Or was it all a kit?

doclouie 05-13-2010 11:38 PM

The kit was around $40 if I remember for the two door kit. There are cheap Chinese ones that you can buy for like $20.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 05-13-2010 11:47 PM

That's not too bad then. :rolleyes:.......:D

Do you have pics of the front of the doors and the tub?
I'd like to see how you hooked everything up.
Being as the doors come off, I imagine you used quick disconnects there,
but I'd still like to see pics.

doclouie 05-14-2010 12:48 AM

here are the disconnects on my jeep and the work really well, Here is the guy i have deat with SAE 2 Pin | Bohemian Biker Blog. I just unplug then and go.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 05-14-2010 05:42 AM

...and the pics are where?

doclouie 05-14-2010 09:01 AM

Forgot the link

SAE 2 Pin | Bohemian Biker Blog

mrcarcrazy 05-14-2010 09:06 AM

similar to what my trickle charger quick disconnect looks like.

doclouie 05-14-2010 02:09 PM

Yep it is the same pin connector.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 05-14-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 624063)

Yeah,
those quick disconnects work great.
They are the same that I used for my last 3rd brake light mod.

But I was wondering if you had pics of the front of your door where they connect to the inside.
(Showing how/where you ran the wires and drilled.) :)

doclouie 05-14-2010 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go

Attachment 19088

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 05-15-2010 09:48 PM

Looks good.
Nice touch adding the grommet btw.

I bought a new Viper System a few months back,
and I'm hoping to get it installed soon.
My money has been tied up in other things recently. :rolleyes:
I purchased actuators to convert the locks as you did,
and I'll have them all tied in with the alarm.
I also bought a solenoid to use as a popper for the tailgate.
Once installed, it should be pretty nice. :)

Do you have pics of how you wired the tailgate?

doclouie 05-16-2010 01:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the picture of the hatch and where the wiring went.

Attachment 19122

At the same time I also put in a switch for when the hatch opens the interior light comes on or the alarm goes off. I also put a switch in line with this so when the top is down and the doors are off you can't just hit the unlock switch to open the rear to steal all my tools back there. You would need a key or know where the switch is located to open the back. Just one more safety precaution.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 05-16-2010 01:41 AM

Good idea.

I'm not liking how the wiring needs to be done in the back.
That's a big eyesore IMO.
It's kinda making me want to skip doing the tailgate.
I dunno...we'll see.

doclouie 05-16-2010 01:43 AM

I debated about doing contact pins, but don't get into the back enough to worry too much about it.

Zeep 05-16-2010 04:46 AM

Where did you source the switch that you have on the console?

doclouie 05-16-2010 09:31 AM

Same place as the lock motors. See the first post in this thread. They have several kinds.

BLACKTOOTHGRIN 05-16-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 625644)
I debated about doing contact pins, but don't get into the back enough to worry too much about it.

What, like the kind used for the 3rd brake light?

rogertc1 05-16-2010 02:09 PM

Is that a soft top? With my soft top I'd rather they open the door than cut the top myself. I never lock the doors.

doclouie 05-16-2010 05:23 PM

I have both a soft top and a hard top and it is put in the garage at night.

loggs1369 06-01-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 623597)
Okay so I put power locks in my Jeep a couple months ago and am just getting around to posting how it was done. I got all my parts from MES Power door lock kits. Swiss made power door locks.. I got the 4 door kit so I have an extra lock motor. This is the more expensive kit that has the Swiss made locks rather than the cheap Chinese made garbage. Here is a picture of how I mounted the motor in the door.

Attachment 19074

Attachment 19075

I will add more information as this was a pretty long Saturday. I also put a motor in the rear gate with a bypass switch.

Ok so i've been wanting this on my 05 wrangler for a while now. I'm currently stationed in a shaddy area and i'm wanting to get alarm and keyless for my jeep which does have a hardtop. Is there anyway you can give me all the details i would need to install it starting from taking the doors apart? oh and all the parts i'll need. Not too worried about the tailgate. I saw that they had a 2 door kit with keyless and alarm, would that cover all i need, including a lock switch?

doclouie 06-01-2010 12:12 AM

Take a look at the posting and the pictures and if you have any questions let me know. I would love to help another Jeeper out there.

loggs1369 06-01-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 640221)
Take a look at the posting and the pictures and if you have any questions let me know. I would love to help another Jeeper out there.

Awesome. I'll read through everything and if i run into any problems I'll be sure and let you know.

GoinPostal88 09-12-2010 01:49 AM

Hate to bring threads back to life but thanks, this really helped me. I too live in a shady area where things like to go missing. Not to mention being a postal worker I have VERY precious cargo in my Jeep. I need to add an alarm FAST. 5 Stars for you and also a :beer: :)

jeepboy18 03-02-2011 05:09 AM

Power Locks

I was wanting to install power locks with remote entry but I don't want to do it myself. I was wondering where can I go in Dallas, TX to have this done.

doclouie 03-02-2011 07:24 PM

When I debated about someone else doing the install the only places that would do it are car audio places, but their prices were through the roof.