Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   31" tires with a lift (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/31-tires-with-a-lift-50888.html)

tmulholland24 05-15-2010 06:31 PM

31" tires with a lift
 
3 Attachment(s)
Buying 31" tires cause im getting a really good deal on them . Would they look unproportional on a 4" lift? i would like a 3" lift but cant find any. It would be much cheaper/easier to do a 1" shackle lift and a 2" body lift but everybody seems to frown upon both. What kind of lift would you do?

These are the wheels

schnutzy 05-15-2010 06:38 PM

i believe bds makes a 3 inch lift for the yj
but it shouldnt look odd with a 4 inch lift.
you could also go with a 2.5 lift and shackles that will give you an extra half inch of lift

gryph 05-15-2010 06:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I think they might look a little small on a 4" lift. The 31's would look fine on an 1-1/2 or 2" lift.
That's what I have going on here:

schnutzy 05-15-2010 06:44 PM

to give you an idea of what it would look like, here are 2 jeeps that belong to members of this forum. the first pic has a RC 4 inch lift with 31 inch tires, and the second pic is a RC 2.5 inch lift on 31s

4 inch on 31s
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/q...r/DSCN0122.jpg

2.5 inch on 31s
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...0/jeepwork.jpg

tmulholland24 05-16-2010 07:23 PM

i would hate to do the 2.5" RC because i can have the 4" for the same price c:banghead:

schnutzy 05-17-2010 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmulholland24 (Post 626002)
i would hate to do the 2.5" RC because i can have the 4" for the same price c:banghead:

the lift kit is the same price, but there are other things you have to factor in with the 4 inch kit that will add more to the cost. eventually you will have to get a SYE and new rear cv style driveshaft with the 4 inch lift.

cavediverjc 05-17-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schnutzy (Post 626216)
the lift kit is the same price, but there are other things you have to factor in with the 4 inch kit that will add more to the cost. eventually you will have to get a SYE and new rear cv style driveshaft with the 4 inch lift.

Very true. An SYE/CV driveshaft combo is going to run $550-600 roughly JUST FOR THE PARTS. Add another $300 or so roughly for install if the owner doesn't feel up to replacing the tailshaft of his tc by himself. There is a BIG difference in price between a 2.5" lift and a 4" lift in the end.

Matcheen 05-17-2010 11:08 AM

cavediverjc, I just got a 4" RC lift and when I spoke to a tek he said that the lift comes complete and that the TC drop bracket is enough to accomodate for the lift.

Now they do recommend the SYE and the CV upgrades but I figured that they're just trying to make another sale.

TheTJRod 05-17-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matcheen (Post 626424)
cavediverjc, I just got a 4" RC lift and when I spoke to a tek he said that the lift comes complete and that the TC drop bracket is enough to accomodate for the lift.

Now they do recommend the SYE and the CV upgrades but I figured that they're just trying to make another sale.

Most companies that make lifts don't sale the SYE's. It is highly recommended with any size lift expecially so if you go off-road as the articulation will be putting more stress on the t-case and DS. The t-case drop negates almost all clearance gains from a suspension lift. Also you can find the SYE and Woody DS for $500. You will however need to get something for the speedo to work properly as it replaces the speedogear with an electronic tone ring sensor.

Edit: I just read that they have free shipping on it too, awesome.

cavediverjc 05-17-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matcheen (Post 626424)
cavediverjc, I just got a 4" RC lift and when I spoke to a tek he said that the lift comes complete and that the TC drop bracket is enough to accomodate for the lift.

Now they do recommend the SYE and the CV upgrades but I figured that they're just trying to make another sale.

For some reason, SOME Jeeps can get away with the TC drop. Oftentimes they can't. A TC drop is kind of a negative fix, if you ask me. The whole point of lifting a Jeep is to create more clearance for your suspension to articulate so you can crawl over bigger things. If you are lowering your skid plate you are negating that benefit. You are effectively making your tc skidplate into a shovel that will catch on rocks and scoop up mud. There are MANY people on this forum that tried to get away with just a TC drop kit and had to eventually put an SYE/CV driveshaft combo in because of destroyed u-joints.

I'd say install your lift with the TC drop kit (if you don't mind the whole shovel thing), but be prepared to shell out some extra $$ for the SYE/CV DS if you're still getting vibrations in your driveline.

drivebytruckerz 05-17-2010 11:43 AM

I'm running them without a lift and it looks normal.. probably would look fine with at 1-2" lift, but 4 is pushing it. They would probably look tiny.

tmulholland24 05-17-2010 02:00 PM

Thanks for all the input! Cavediver im not going to be doing any true offroading (i live on longisland not much for us) so the whole shovel thing wont really phase me. But i have the 2.5L and a friend of a friend who is a jeep mechanic said he would suggest regearing my jeep. That would cost me $1500 therefore i have no plans of doing so in the near future.

But back to the 31s on a 4 inch lift. They would look too small right?

drivebytruckerz 05-17-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmulholland24 (Post 626563)

But back to the 31s on a 4 inch lift. They would look too small right?

Yes.

TheTJRod 05-17-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmulholland24 (Post 626563)
Thanks for all the input! Cavediver im not going to be doing any true offroading (i live on longisland not much for us) so the whole shovel thing wont really phase me. But i have the 2.5L and a friend of a friend who is a jeep mechanic said he would suggest regearing my jeep. That would cost me $1500 therefore i have no plans of doing so in the near future.

But back to the 31s on a 4 inch lift. They would look too small right?

With the 31s you won't "have" to do a regear, should be "ok". Oh and 31s with a 4" lift? They would look small. Also if you won't be doing much off-roading then the small shackle lift and a 1.25" MAX body lift will fit them.

tmulholland24 05-17-2010 05:28 PM

I think im gonna do the 2.5" RC lift and then save up for a roofrack and rear bumper cause i dont have a hitch

cavediverjc 05-17-2010 05:35 PM

Sounds like a solid plan. Send Turdhurdler a PM. He's got a 4" lift (I believe) on his YJ with 31" tires. I've wheeled with him and he's got a very capable Jeep. He could probably answer some questions you might have. He's a good guy.

530ktm 05-17-2010 06:01 PM

Sorry, this went to the wrong post.

retiredk24 05-17-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gryph (Post 625168)
I think they might look a little small on a 4" lift. The 31's would look fine on an 1-1/2 or 2" lift.
That's what I have going on here:

nice look convice me to go in that direction

Mudd_Dancer 05-18-2010 06:09 PM

Thanks
 
Thanks for all the information. I have been in debate between the 2.5 lift or 4". I would like to run 33x12.50, would I need back spacers for clarence with a 2.5 lift?

tmulholland24 05-18-2010 10:55 PM

if you want 33x12.5 tires i would go with the 4" lift. your in a jeep not a honda dont try and squeeze wheels under your truck lol:)

ENIX89YJ 05-18-2010 11:09 PM

i put three inch shackles on mine.. but i do not off road.... and my springs are flat... but my 31's look great on it to me..

tmulholland24 05-18-2010 11:14 PM

I've heard way too many negative things to do a 3" shackle. Im either doing a 2.5" RC lift with a 1" body lift or a .5" shackle lift or just a 4" RC lift


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.