Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   installed new motor, spewage/leakage (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/installed-new-motor-spewage-leakage-50924.html)

itsawhr08 05-16-2010 11:54 AM

installed new motor, spewage/leakage

recently purchased my first jeep, as a project, installed a new motor and started it finally this morning. after initial start up there was a spewing leak from what looked like the power steering pump, bolted to the block. i can not tell what the smell of the fluid is. some coolant was mixed in due to a loose cap, but the leak still continued to shoot around the whole engine bay. btw this is a 97 tj 2.5l 4 banger. i believe all the vac lines are hooked up correctly but i do not believe this would be an issue if the motor starts and runs good at idle. and it does not leak consistently, it happens at random, sometimes at initial start, or sometimes after its been running for 2-3 minutes. :banghead::banghead::banghead::mad:
please help would love to get this jeep running today!!!

ratuna 05-16-2010 12:03 PM

Figure out exactly what it is that is leaking, maybe post a pic of the part here. Then try to see exactly where it is leaking from. If it is where this part mates to the block remove it and clean both contact surfaces. Put on a new gasket put it back together and try again.

itsawhr08 05-16-2010 12:10 PM

well i cant tell exactly. it shot up onto the windshield. all over the fenders. i will try to take it off. i dont know if its from the hoses or what. i will run to an auto parts store and see if i can get a gasket. as for the pic part. the majority of the fluid seems to be from the pump.

ratuna 05-16-2010 12:22 PM

The power steering pump? Get a new banjo bolt and/or a washer for it while you are at it and replace that as well. I'm pretty sure the PS Pump is belt driven so it should be on a bracket and not directly to the motor so it wouldn't be gasketed to the motor. This is why I say we need a pic to help you better.
And be sure to top off the PS fluid before you start it again if that is what is leaking so you don't ruin the pump by running it dry!

itsawhr08 05-16-2010 02:11 PM

ok after looking again it seems to be coming from one of the hoses. and yes it is belt driven. a pic at this point wont do to much but i will take one soon. everything is pretty soaking wet from fluid.

itsawhr08 05-16-2010 02:39 PM

update: just put more fluid into reservoir and it leaked out the back of them pump immediately. assuming the pump is bad. going to see if a junk yard has a decent one.

itsawhr08 05-17-2010 01:32 AM

picked up a new p/s pump for 16 bucks at a local junk yard. after removing the old and cleaning it up a little more i found a large crack and hole in the pump near one of the bolt holes. thanks for all the info ratuna. appreciate the help.

ratuna 05-17-2010 05:23 PM

Glad you found the problem and it's a very cheap fix!