Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Running Board / Side Steps??? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/running-board-side-steps-50958.html)

kfeff 05-16-2010 08:16 PM

Running Board / Side Steps???
 
Hey Y'all,

I'm a new jeep owner. Just picked up an 08 Unlimted Rubicon on Friday and already love it. Been looking for running boards/side steps to put on it, but every site I find seems to tell me "except rubicon". Are there running boards to fit the jeep or do i need something custom. Ideally the factory style ones would work just fine, but I'm not sure if they would work or not.

Any help would be great, also, anything I might need to know as a jeep owner would be great to.

Thanks so much!!!!

hig4s 05-16-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfeff (Post 626078)
Hey Y'all,

I'm a new jeep owner. Just picked up an 08 Unlimted Rubicon on Friday and already love it. Been looking for running boards/side steps to put on it, but every site I find seems to tell me "except rubicon". Are there running boards to fit the jeep or do i need something custom. Ideally the factory style ones would work just fine, but I'm not sure if they would work or not.

Any help would be great, also, anything I might need to know as a jeep owner would be great to.

Thanks so much!!!!

I've thought about these for side steps and they will fit a Rubi, because they can be turned over if you do any serious wheeling.. Extreme Reverse-a-Bars by Olympic and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH3

white rubi 10 05-16-2010 08:40 PM

The problem is the stock Rubicon rock sliders use the same mounting bolts as the steps.
Poison Spider make steps that weld on to the Rubicon rails for about $250.
I took off my rock sliders and put on Smittybilt steps for street use and most off roading, but when I go to Moab the steps come off and the sliders go back on.

DodgeM37 05-16-2010 08:40 PM

it's because you have rock rails I think, the side steps use the same mounting points.
You can remove the rock rails and probably use any step you want. Mopar has a replacement rock rail that has steps biult in. You may be able to EBAY Your originals.

RubiJK12 05-16-2010 11:04 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I've posted my pictures many times so don't want to get monotonous with the rest of the forum, so go ahead when you get a moment and click on my web pictures at: Jeep

Please just ignore the non-relevant pictures, etc.

I have images of my Rubicon with the rock rails, Rugged Ridge step bars, and even mud flaps. I change these around as needed. The rails come off in about 15 minutes. After a few times, the RR oval step bars (around $250, I think) come and go in about 30 minutes. The factory mud flaps save the side of the Jeep, hinges etc. when I'm not in the rocks and come off and on easily with a few screws. They all interchange, the flaps fit with the RR step bars as well as the rails, etc. Easy to do and give you lots of options. That's the great thing about these Jeeps!:)

Again welcome and have fun doing things in and with your Jeep.
Jim

yj-genral 05-17-2010 07:33 AM

i got a set of the stock rubicon rock rails for my sahara and plan on adding some tubing to make them more steps but still have sliding capability, i also plan on plating the front off about a foot back so that it acts like a horizontal mud flap :D but this all requires welding, so if you have have access to a welder and/or bender thats out... sorry

kfeff 05-17-2010 10:51 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

I found this set @ Tubular Side Steps - Jeep Wrangler - Item # 82210561, 82210562, 82210563 & 82210564 turns out to be OEM part 82210562AD, anyone have an opinion on these?

How hard are they to install? I'm not super mechanically inclined, so is it worth 100+ to get them installed by jeep?

J.B. 05-17-2010 11:35 AM

I have the Mopar like in your link that I got with the black appearance group. They look nice but wouldn't hold up against a rock encounter if you are going to wheel in that type of environment. You might check with your Jeep dealer if you decide on these, sometimes they can give you a better deal! Enjoy! :)

RubiJK12 05-17-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfeff (Post 626470)
Thanks for all the replies.


How hard are they to install? I'm not super mechanically inclined, so is it worth 100+ to get them installed by jeep?

Really, with a few tools and a little patience, this is fairly easy and the instructions are pretty straight forward! As I mentioned, I do it frequently and it's not hard.
Depending on how valuable your time is, makes it worthwhile or not!
Best of luck!

DANIMAL 05-17-2010 03:39 PM

I got my Rubi used and it had tube steps on it. I took them off and put the stock rock rails back on. Too bad you didn't live closer to me as I am selling the tube steps. They bolt on using the same holes as the rock rails. It is a very easy switch over.

TroyD 05-17-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonorasun (Post 626176)
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I've posted my pictures many times so don't want to get monotonous with the rest of the forum, so go ahead when you get a moment and click on my web pictures at: Jeep

Please just ignore the non-relevant pictures, etc.

I have images of my Rubicon with the rock rails, Rugged Ridge step bars, and even mud flaps. I change these around as needed. The rails come off in about 15 minutes. After a few times, the RR oval step bars (around $250, I think) come and go in about 30 minutes. The factory mud flaps save the side of the Jeep, hinges etc. when I'm not in the rocks and come off and on easily with a few screws. They all interchange, the flaps fit with the RR step bars as well as the rails, etc. Easy to do and give you lots of options. That's the great thing about these Jeeps!:)

Again welcome and have fun doing things in and with your Jeep.
Jim

cool site and pics man. i like that desert dog toooooo.

Slither302 05-17-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hig4s (Post 626090)
I've thought about these for side steps and they will fit a Rubi, because they can be turned over if you do any serious wheeling.. Extreme Reverse-a-Bars by Olympic and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH3



Got them and love them. In fact in the up position they also work as a step;even my 3 kids can get in and out no problem. Word of caution; wives/girlfriends etc may not like a step of any kind because it will muss up their pretty clothes with any mud you may have on them:rofl:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 AM.