Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Check Engine Light, but no problem..? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/check-engine-light-but-no-problem-51053.html)

Bignuke 05-17-2010 11:40 PM

Check Engine Light, but no problem..?

Hey guys
I went mudding with some of my friends earlier and when we went to leave, my engine starting bogging down a lot.. (hard to accelerate) and I pulled over on the highway, when my check engine light came on, my buddies turned around and came back for me and one of them took the distributor off and wiped it down to get the moisture out. I started the jeep up and it was fine.

I noticed my CEL was still on... When I got home, I did the little key trick to run some codes, nothing popped up. I sprayed some brake cleaner in the distributor, took the gauge cluster off and put it back on, started the jeep up again, but still CEL...

Any suggestions?

s3nt3nc3d 05-18-2010 12:03 AM

If it's still running good... keep driving it and see if the CEL resets (sometimes it will take a few restarts before it turns off). Also, are you sure you pulled the codes properly? I tried to pull mine the other day...just to see if it worked...and it at least said "done" in my odometer display showing that it worked and there were no codes to display.

Bignuke 05-18-2010 12:12 AM

I went to the trip thing on the odometer, pushed down the little button, turned the key atleast 3 times, once it started I took my finger off the button, and it went through all the things.. (0-9) then it went to regular gauges and just 0's...

Neil F. 05-18-2010 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bignuke (Post 627167)
I went to the trip thing on the odometer, pushed down the little button, turned the key atleast 3 times, once it started I took my finger off the button, and it went through all the things.. (0-9) then it went to regular gauges and just 0's...

If you are trying to get OBD codes, that's not how you do it. You do not do anything with the odometer button. Jusy cycke the key off-on-off-on-off-on

alsyj 05-18-2010 06:34 AM

If its OBD codes, you will need a scanner to get and/or reset the codes. If you have solved the original problem as you have suggested, the codes will remain in memory for several drive cycles then should erase erase itself.

pakman55 05-18-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alsyj (Post 627253)
If its OBD codes, you will need a scanner to get and/or reset the codes. If you have solved the original problem as you have suggested, the codes will remain in memory for several drive cycles then should erase erase itself.

That isnt true. You can turn the key 3 times to the "run" position and the codes will come up. No need for a scanner to get the codes...not sure about resetting them tho.

Bignuke 05-18-2010 10:39 PM

Ok guys, the light went off today just by random... As sentence said lol

doclouie 05-29-2010 10:36 PM

Okay I feel a little bit dumb. I have pulled codes off my Jeep before and now I can't seem to get it to say anything on the odometer. I cycle the key 3 times and nothing happens. How long does it take for the odometer to flash the codes or done? Does the door need to be open or closed?

burton160w 05-29-2010 11:10 PM

Don't worry doclouie I've never gotten it to work either :p