Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   2001 Cruise Control Install Help (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/2001-cruise-control-install-help-51069.html)

deathphoenix99 05-18-2010 09:43 AM

2001 Cruise Control Install Help

Alright, first off, I'm not going with the typical OEM cruise control install. Stock parts cost WAY too much and I really don't like vaccuum operated modules.

What I am doing, however, is taking a cruise control off of a 98 Chevrolet Truck and installing it on the wrangler. I chose this module because they are common on trucks from 94-?? and I've installed several over the years. They are also inexpensive and are separate from the ECM, so all it needs is a few inputs and cruise works. I've already modified the module to adapt to the throttle body and found a good place to mount it.

However, here is where I'm running into problems. I cannot find a VSS signal to hook up to the cruise. On the wrangler, everything is controlled by the ECM, including cruise. The dash gauges are also operated through a data line (unlike the separate wiring in older clusters). Looking over wiring diagrams for the jeep, there are NO VSS outputs from the ECM.

So I came up with a solution, but here is where I need help.

Since the jeep didn't come with ABS, I would like to add one wheel speed sensor and use that to power the cruise. I already have a DRAC (Vehicle Speed Buffer) to power the wheel speed sensor and the cruise control module. So are the jeeps setup to have ABS even if they did not come with it? I believe I can install the sensor to feed the speed to the cruise control, so I can easily and cheaply install cruise.

My main question is whether or not I can install a Wheel speed sensor for ABS. I read that they use the same axles, so I should have a port to install the sensor, does it exist? And if someone could, I need a picture of the sensor in the front wheel so I know what to look for.

Thanks guys, I know my post was long.

deathphoenix99 05-18-2010 02:28 PM

Right now, I plan to go to a junkyard and see if I can get a ABS speed sensor off of a cherokee. If I can get one to work on the wrangler, then it WILL have cruise control for under $60. And actually, I could've gotten the parts cheaper, I was just in a rush at the time.

deathphoenix99 05-18-2010 05:43 PM

Well, I went to the junk yard today, could not find a matchin abs speed sensor, although I have no idea how the stock ones mount of if this one is capable of having them without swapping out the axles.

I will look into it more tomorrow, maybe this weekend pull of a wheel and see if there is a sensor mount or not.

I would still appreciate pics of the abs sensors and where they mount.

Thanks guys.

deathphoenix99 05-19-2010 11:06 AM

I guess no one can take any pics of where the abs speed sensors are located? I realize I'm doing a new type of install, but surely someone has some input.

PS. the jeep DOES NOT have cruise ready to be wired, I looked for a connector and there are none.

littledeviltj 05-19-2010 07:34 PM

my buddy has them on his zj, ill see if he can get a pic.

deathphoenix99 05-19-2010 08:34 PM

Thanks, that'd be greatly appreciated.