Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   disconnecting sway bar (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/disconnecting-sway-bar-51526.html)

JDetlefsen 05-24-2010 11:18 PM

disconnecting sway bar

what does the sway bar enable you to do on or off, and how do you remove it?

rketr 05-24-2010 11:30 PM

The sway bar, when disconnected, allows the axle to articulate to its fullest extent. Works great offroad, but not having it connected can be a hindrance when on-road.

The sway bar's function is to help stabilize the chassis against sway (roll).

530ktm 05-24-2010 11:31 PM

When you disconnect the front sway bar it allows the front axle to flex more which puts the tires on the ground in very rocky or rutty situations. This gives the vehicle better traction which will help you move through the rough terrain. You can disconnect the sway bar by removing the nuts on the bolts and removing them from the sway bar connector which is about 8 inches long. You can swing the connectors up and rest them on the shock tower and this will keep the sway bar out of the way for your trail driving. You need the torx socket and a wrench to take off the nut and bolt which is why they make the quick disconnects for this purpose. I hope this explains what you are asking.

03 RUBI 05-25-2010 02:55 PM

You will also need to secure the arms to something so they won't flop around.

Jerry Bransford 05-25-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03 RUBI (Post 634067)
You will also need to secure the arms to something so they won't flop around.

Bungee cords or zip ties work fine. When I still had the factory swaybar up front (which I replaced by an aftermarket equivilent), I used to secure mine up by a zip tie on both sides. There is a perfectly placed gap you can pass the zip tie through at the top of the front coil bracket, where it is welded to the frame. :)

By the way, disco'ing the front antiswaybar can help when offroad. Don't try the same with the rear antiswaybar, it needs to remain connected. Be sure to reconnect the front antiswaybar before hitting the highway. Older leaf spring Jeeps like CJs and YJs do fine without the antiswaybars but not so with the coil spring TJ. :)

computeruser 05-25-2010 04:45 PM

Disconnecting also allows you a smoother off-pavement ride, with less side-to-side jarring over small bumps and such. And it's actually not bad at all disconnected on-road; I regularly leave mine disconnected in town and enjoy the smoother ride over the potholes and irregular pavement. It does require some attention to keep things kosher at highway speeds, though.

IndyJeepMan 05-25-2010 05:15 PM

No damage should come from this? When I go offroad I also have to drive my jeep back home lol.

Jerry Bransford 05-25-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan (Post 634198)
No damage should come from this?

No, none whatsoever. :)

canadianwizard 05-25-2010 07:12 PM

except if u put your tire up into your fender and bend everything... watch out the first time or 2 so u know how far u will go.... im running 31's and i can not disconect mine without tires rubbing over taller bumps..

Jerry Bransford 05-25-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianwizard (Post 634297)
except if u put your tire up into your fender and bend everything...

That can only happen when you don't have the proper height bump stop that is there to prevent that. :)

03 RUBI 05-25-2010 10:10 PM

Yea Jerry, good suggestions. I was just trying to point out something that hadn't been mentioned in the posts above mine.

TJeepman 05-25-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDetlefsen (Post 633435)
what does the sway bar enable you to do on or off, and how do you remove it?

Disconnecting the sway bar for off road use allows more suspension travel. When on the road, the connected sway bar helps control vehicle side to side motion (sway).

With appropriate tools (I use a tie rod end puller, vice grips and a socket wrench) and knowing what you are doing, a front link can be removed and replaced, with new, in 15 minutes and that's with the Jeep sitting on the ground. So, to do the minimum, ie take the lower bolt out (vice grips and socket wrench), is less than 5 minutes a side. Not a big job by any means.

TJfun 05-26-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computeruser (Post 634178)
Disconnecting also allows you a smoother off-pavement ride, with less side-to-side jarring over small bumps and such. And it's actually not bad at all disconnected on-road; I regularly leave mine disconnected in town and enjoy the smoother ride over the potholes and irregular pavement. It does require some attention to keep things kosher at highway speeds, though.

I leave mine off as well. My biggest problem is when I catch a the wind from either side which kinda floats me around like a boat. As long as I pay attention to the road during this time, it is no prob. You might not want to take sharp corners very fast either. Other than that it seems to feel smooth.

IslandTJ 05-26-2010 07:26 PM

I ran with quick disconnects for about 7 years, I now wheel with an off-road purpose anti-swaybar similar to Currie's Antirock (AR) but with a setting for street driving. An anti-swaybar like the AR still allow for awesome flex but still manages to have the Jeep in "control" when transversing off camber trails. Had I known what I know now, I wold have invested in an off-road purpose anti-swaybar rather than disconnects.

Here's a link to a video and the actual AR product:

Currie Enterprises 4x4 Rear Ends Antirock

Kilroy 05-27-2010 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 634077)
..... Older leaf spring Jeeps like CJs and YJs do fine without the antiswaybars but not so with the coil spring TJ. :)

My older leaf spring Jeep was a challenge to drive on the highway! But I expect the issue was more than the lack of a swaybar.

Disconnecting the front sway bar also seems to make the offroad ride smoother!