Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   New headunit does not play factory subwoofer ?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/new-headunit-does-not-play-factory-subwoofer-51757.html)

shinna202 05-28-2010 01:58 AM

New headunit does not play factory subwoofer ??

Just today I installed a new Sony CDX-GT640UI
Sony CDX-GT640UI CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Now here is my problem, when I turn the radio on, the subwoofer in the center console works just fine, however when I go in to the USB menu to listen to my ipod, the subwoofer does not work? I know its not blown or anything because obviously it works with the FM radio but not with USB. What did I do wrong here?

By the way for the center console subwoofer I have these.
Pyramid WX65X 6-1/2" Clear Poly Woofer | subwoofer 6-1/2" woofer 6-1/2 inch subwoofer sub woofer bass car sound | Parts-Express.com

Jma20a 05-28-2010 07:35 AM

the first thing you should do is see if you can return that piece of crap headunit back to crutchfield. sony is crap when it comes to car audio, same goes for the pyramid.

s3nt3nc3d 05-28-2010 08:36 AM

Sony headunits have gone up tremendously in quality over the past few years...they are right up there with Pioneer, Alpine, JVC, etc. A few years ago, their headunits were JUNK though. Looked great...functioned great...for a bit...then began to fail.

And the Pyramid subs aren't exactly designed to be amazing...but they're better than the OEM subwoofer (which costs around $300 if you buy it from the dealership) and they only cost $20/shipped. Hrmmm...I dunno...weighing the options. I'd much rather spend $20 on a better quality alternative than the $300 OE replacement.

Shinna, I'd contact Sony customer support...see if they've heard of this issue. I'm under the impression it is in the settings of the radio and not a physical connection issue since the sub works with the radio.

Jaydogg25 05-28-2010 09:14 AM

to answer your question....swap your amp turn on wire (blue/white) with the power antenna (blue). that will solve your issue..

right now that one wire is hooked up wrong. your radio is shutting down amp thinking it's a power antenna.

s3nt3nc3d 05-28-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydogg25 (Post 636968)
to answer your question....swap your amp turn on wire (blue/white) with the power antenna (blue). that will solve your issue..

right now that one wire is hooked up wrong. your radio is shutting down amp thinking it's a power antenna.

Oh snap! I didn't think of that one...good catch...there's another thread with this issue on here. If it's not from the same poster or hasn't been mentioned, I'll repost this there.

Jaydogg25 05-28-2010 11:22 AM

yea it's a common mistake. not all radios have both wires but ones that do anways throw ppl for a loop.

Jma20a 05-28-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d (Post 636942)
And the Pyramid subs aren't exactly designed to be amazing...but they're better than the OEM subwoofer (which costs around $300 if you buy it from the dealership).

thats why they call it the stealership. for the price of the pyramid you could get something better. i'll send you a pm of a good forum to ask around in(not sure how keen wrangler forum is to having other forums listed)