Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   A Few Questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/a-few-questions-518.html)

SolLess 10-02-2005 04:57 PM

A Few Questions

Ok, since I'm still new to this whole Jeep thing (Just got out of my rice rockets), I have a few probably easy questions.

First. I have a 2000 Sahara with the 4.0L and 5 speed. I need to get the shifter stalk off to put a bend into it (it's hitting the center counsel). I have the counsel off, and the dust boot off. I see the little rubber cover over four torx head screws/bolts, but didn't want to take them off, as I wanted to check first. If this can be done from above, it would be ideal, as I have no need to drop the trans, nor any of the work related to it. So any help would be greatly appreciated, and pictures of what I need to take off would be even better.

Second, I bought the Jeep with a 4" skyjacker single flex suspension kit on it. I want to get rid of the single flex lower and upper control arms, as I will be driving on the street more than off road, so I don't want all the extra movement going on down there. I called skyjacker, and they gave me part numbers for the front/rear lower control arms, and said that I can use stock uppers. This didn't seem right to me, but I honestly don't know. SO I need to know if I can use stock upper control arms front and rear with a 4" lift. If so, where is a good place to get a set of stock upper control arms. If not, do you guys have any reccomendations of what brand of upper and lower control arms that I should get to change this over?

Thanks for all the help that anyone can supply. The sooner the help the better, as I would like to get the parts on order as soon as possible.

Thanks

Eric
2000 Sahara

4Jeepn 10-03-2005 08:27 AM

okay need some more infor, why is the shifter (and what part of it) hitting the console? Is it the stock console or an after market one? I think the top shifter bulb does come off.. either screws off or has a hex or torq on it someplace.

As for the control arms, the single superflex are really only going to move when you flex the axle.. if your on a street i don't think you are going to see that much of a difference in ride(unless of course your joints are in bad shape now) Thus, before I changed control arms, I would get a nice set of shocks.. like Old Man Emu..as it sounds like you want a better on road ride, and it will also be far less work than changing control arms, which could then give you other issues

SolLess 10-03-2005 10:18 AM

The actual shifter stalk is hitting the center counsel. I think it might be part of the body lift that the previous owner put on the jeep. It's not bad, I would only need to bend it about an inch to get clearance. I just want to take it off from the transmission so that I can heat it up and bend it at work. I just don't want to take out the four bolts and yank it out if that's not the way it's supposed to be done.

As far as the control arms, on the one side it has a heim joint, not just bushings like a normal control arm, and it does allow the whole axle to shift some while hitting bumps, which I'm not overly fond of, as I don't want to have to replace bearings, and other various front end components due to the extra play in the front end.

I am thinking of changing the shocks possibly, as the ones that are on there have about 30,000 miles on them, and I'm sure some of them have been hard miles.

jeeperman 10-03-2005 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolLess
As far as the control arms, on the one side it has a heim joint, not just bushings like a normal control arm, and it does allow the whole axle to shift some while hitting bumps, which I'm not overly fond of, as I don't want to have to replace bearings, and other various front end components due to the extra play in the front end.

I am thinking of changing the shocks possibly, as the ones that are on there have about 30,000 miles on them, and I'm sure some of them have been hard miles.

If the axle is shifting, that is because your track bar has some bad bushings or is installed improperly, not the control arms. Check to see if you can move your trac bar by hand, if so you have bad bushings. You should not have any play in the heims at all, if you do, they are worn, but you should be able to just replace the heim without replacing the entire control arm. I have heims on one end of all of my control arms, and I don't have any movement or shifting no matter what. (And believe me, I have tested that many a time off-road... :D )

Replacing the shocks with quality new shocks will be a huge improvement. I would recommend doing this first and then seeing what you think of the ride.