Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Axle, locker and considered upgrades (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/axle-locker-and-considered-upgrades-51941.html)

Akunin 05-31-2010 01:04 AM

Axle, locker and considered upgrades

Well, I am already planning this winters project. I have a 04' TJ Sport Auto 6cyl and I'm thinking of upgrading the following. Drum to disc, axles and lockers. So, I've run across a G2 Axle & Gear Front Dana 44 Assembly with OX Locker also 1 with detroit locker with disc together. I can only afford 1 axle swap this year and another next. So here are the questions:

Front or Rear axle swap first?
Ox Locker or Detroit locker?
Is the G2 reliable?

Guess I'm looking for people with experience with these or even did a similar swap themselves. I'm not interested in an air locker as I don't want to install a compressor and fiddle with air lines. The detroit interests me due to its popularity but then the Ox is appealing because of the control it offers. On/off with no air or electronics to fiddle/fix/put up with.

Any thoughts?

btw, this is what I'm considering:
G2 Axle & Gear Front Dana 44 Assembly with OX Locker for 84-06 Jeep® Cherokee XJ, Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Acme Jeep Parts

Akunin 05-31-2010 01:23 AM

Then there is the TJ Dana 44 Axles From Mopar.
TJ Next-Gen Dana 44 Front Axle Specs:
Mopar PN# P5155256
High-pinion front Dana 44 housing
Electronic selectable locker
4.10 gears
12-inch disc brakes (compatible with most 15-inch aftermarket wheels)
2.75-inch x 0.375-wall DOM tube assemblies
3/16-inch-thick suspension brackets
Next-generation 1350 axle joints and shafts
5-on-4.5 wheel bolt pattern
Stock TJ width
Compatible with stock TJ steering linkages
1310 yoke

TJ Next-Gen Dana 44 Front Axle Specs:
Mopar PN# P5155256
High-pinion front Dana 44 housing
Electronic selectable locker
4.10 gears
12-inch disc brakes (compatible with most 15-inch aftermarket wheels)
2.75-inch x 0.375-wall DOM tube assemblies
3/16-inch-thick suspension brackets
Next-generation 1350 axle joints and shafts
5-on-4.5 wheel bolt pattern
Stock TJ width
Compatible with stock TJ steering linkages
1310 yoke

But the electronics in these I don't find appealing. I wonder... could these be fitted with Ox lockers?
Sorry for all the questions but figured I had about 6 months to figure it out!

rketr 05-31-2010 01:27 AM

Ox up front. Ox or Detroit in the rear. Wouldn't put a Detroit up front since it is not selectable -- makes it hard to steer.

I'd do rear first since that will see the majority of use -- you are likely not taxing the front while on-road.

AzTJ 05-31-2010 01:58 AM

I didn't know the D44 fronts were HP's... that's interesting.

Like stated, do the rear first. The D30 you currently have can take some abuse.

TexasSam 05-31-2010 08:36 AM

I read on another thread on this forum about the bolt in 8.8 from East Coast Gear Supply and it seem like it's alot less cost than the D44 or D60 and it's a direct bolt in unit. Some where around $1200. can get you a complete 8.8 with disc , 4.11 and a good posi or true trac type locker. Has anyone bought one from them and were they good quality ?

Akunin 06-03-2010 12:16 AM

Thanks guys, the locker set up was mostly what I was looking to do (on the front anyway) I just can't decide on the rear. Detroit, true trac types... or the Ox. The axles are of course the biggest set up I'm curious about. The G2 or... the new mopar.... hmm. Of course I'm thinking of getting manual hubs as well to save the front end when I do have to play the "highway" man. Any thoughts on axles? Thanks for the input and point of view in advance! :)

jdhallissey 06-03-2010 12:29 AM

K I am going to chime in on this again if your going to spend the money on a built dana 44 - get a built rockjock 60 rear for a few hundred more :D. Then next year build a front 44 or even a front 60 and be done.

16Inches 06-03-2010 12:31 AM

I'm running detriots in both. It is not hard at all to steer. A little throttle and you are gold. You don't have to screw with anything just point and put the hammer down. If you need more steering control then you need rear steer.

Had a D30 with 30 spline axle and detroit. Bent the tube and HD axle. The locker is sitting in a box in my shop. Don't waste your money!

Akunin 06-03-2010 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16Inches (Post 642649)
I'm running detriots in both. It is not hard at all to steer. A little throttle and you are gold. You don't have to screw with anything just point and put the hammer down. If you need more steering control then you need rear steer.

How much do you travel highway?

Akunin 06-03-2010 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdhallissey (Post 642648)
K I am going to chime in on this again if your going to spend the money on a built dana 44 - get a built rockjock 60 rear for a few hundred more :D. Then next year build a front 44 or even a front 60 and be done.

:eek:

I just googled those.... damn, those be some beefy axles!! Very nice! Great suggestion, by the looks of your post it wasn't the first time they have been suggested so thanks for the repeat. So many posts on here and I've been lurking awhile trying to read as many suggestions I can before asking the "been asked a million time" questions.

So, those really have my attention. With the disc brakes on the rear... and perhaps the Ox (I have to study more to see if they work with the axles) but that is one hella over kill set up! Next year build the front... with manual hubs? Hmm, more research.. ahhh, foreplay! Then this winter I get some hands on! Oh yeah

Thanks for the suggestions!! Great stuff

16Inches 06-03-2010 12:47 AM

Was doing 30k a year before the coil overs.

jdhallissey 06-03-2010 01:11 AM

Everybody goes 60's cost so much money. Really they are under 3k for a rear. You could even toss a ARB in it for under 3k just not chromo axle shafts but if your going to be running 37's or smaller and you snap a axle shaft on a 60 with a stock jeep engine GOOD GOD lol. Only reason I am running rubi 44's is I got them for 1400 bucks with the pumps :D. I will be running 60's stretched to 106 with coil overs and 40's one of these days :)

Akunin 06-03-2010 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16Inches (Post 642657)
Was doing 30k a year before the coil overs.

very not bad! This is the kind of feed back I'm looking for! I've heard that runnin dual detroits makes the offroad tight turns a bit of a pain. Whats your experience?

16Inches 06-03-2010 01:23 AM

Like I said a little gas, which iduces a little wheel spin, and you are in business. Warn hubs make on road a breeze. Just run appropraite gears. If anything go selectable in the rear. you will feel the full lock more with a short wheel base. Especially is you are heavy on the gas.

Akunin 06-03-2010 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdhallissey (Post 642674)
Everybody goes 60's cost so much money. Really they are under 3k for a rear. You could even toss a ARB in it for under 3k just not chromo axle shafts but if your going to be running 37's or smaller and you snap a axle shaft on a 60 with a stock jeep engine GOOD GOD lol. Only reason I am running rubi 44's is I got them for 1400 bucks with the pumps :D. I will be running 60's stretched to 106 with coil overs and 40's one of these days :)

I have 33's now but when the swap comes I'll be doing 35's so I don't think I'll need to bother with the chromo this round.... and it's a stock 6cyl. lol Just looking to get some "solid" axles that can hold a good locker so the whole package can reliably turn the 35's when need be. Plus being able to upgrade downt the road never hurts either... :)