Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Weird noise from rear when locked (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/weird-noise-from-rear-when-locked-51962.html)

DANIMAL 05-31-2010 01:21 PM

Weird noise from rear when locked

I was finally able to take my Rubi off road this weekend. I bought it used and from looking under it, it has been off road.
Well, I got hung up on some rocks and engaged the rear locker. The light stayed on steady, but there was a weird clicking noise coming from the rear. I don't know if they actually locked in or not. I didn't leave them locked for long. I didn't want to possibly explode anything, so I bowed down to getting strapped.

Any ideas on what the clicking noise could be? Thank you,
Dan

thaduke2003 05-31-2010 05:23 PM

Did it change with wheel speed, or engine speed? Any rhythm to it?
If you're under warranty, I'd sure as hell take that in- Mark W.

DANIMAL 05-31-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaduke2003 (Post 639804)
Did it change with wheel speed, or engine speed? Any rhythm to it?
If you're under warranty, I'd sure as hell take that in- Mark W.

It changed with wheel speed and it did have a rythm.

It is not under factory warranty, but I did buy a warranty from the dealer that I got it from.

thaduke2003 05-31-2010 06:25 PM

Hmm- I would definitely get that checked out- sounds like a problem with the locker- did it ONLY occur when the locker switch was on? Mark W.

DANIMAL 05-31-2010 07:21 PM

Yes only when locker switch was trurned on. There were no clicking sounds in 4 high or 4 low.

I just went out and tried turning the locker on (dry pavement, no turning) and it would not engage. The light was on steady until I moved then it flashed. I think it is shot. I will try to get it looked at this week.

RubiJK12 05-31-2010 08:38 PM

In your driveway, did you put it in 4 hi or 4 lo? I think you have to do that to activate the lockers.
I have had similar noise at times when I wasn't fully locked so have been locking a little sooner. Haven't had any problems and my lockers seem to be working fine now. Took me a while to learn and I also had some of the same locking issues with the sway bar so doing that a little sooner too!

Hope it goes well for you. good luck!

DANIMAL 05-31-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonorasun (Post 639988)
In your driveway, did you put it in 4 hi or 4 lo? I think you have to do that to activate the lockers.
I have had similar noise at times when I wasn't fully locked so have been locking a little sooner. Haven't had any problems and my lockers seem to be working fine now. Took me a while to learn and I also had some of the same locking issues with the sway bar so doing that a little sooner too!

Hope it goes well for you. good luck!

I put it in 4 low. Rear locker light came on and stayed on until I started moving, then flashed on and off. As soon as I stopped it came on and stayed on till I moved again. It did the same forward and reverse.

gotrailin 05-31-2010 08:51 PM

I would get it checked..

plac 05-31-2010 09:48 PM

sounds like rear end issue to me too. that sux..

thaduke2003 06-01-2010 08:25 AM

Yep. Worst case, you can always get another locker. Check jeepoemparts.com they always have a ton of stuff in stock, and ship quickly- Mark W.