Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Thumping Sound (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/thumping-sound-51985.html)

JC JK 05-31-2010 07:21 PM

Thumping Sound

Guys I have a thumping sound in the back and cant find it? I checked all the Bumper bolts and all are tight:confused: I checked the lift and shocks at the same time all Good:confused:
It allmost sounds like the storage port in the back like the Lid is thumping up and down.
Man I am at a Loss with this! PLEASE Help a JK Brother out:sad2:
Thanks J,C,

RubiDubiDoo 05-31-2010 07:43 PM

Anything spare tire related??
Just a noob guess ;)

Interior, if you have a subwoofer then the thumpin' might be a good thing.. ;)
Noob humor :D

JIMBOX 05-31-2010 07:51 PM

:zap:Trailer hitch, with hitch inserted ???

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

JC JK 05-31-2010 07:53 PM

Man I don't know but if the Sub is it I am good!:rolleyes: No it sounds like something smacking the bottom like a dull thump.:confused:

gotrailin 05-31-2010 07:54 PM

You might want to check the jack and its accessories also..

JDsDream 05-31-2010 07:55 PM

Is the sound consistent? Do you hear it any time in particular or just in certain gears or when you hit a bump, make a turn etc? We really need a little more info. Are you running a hard top without a mounted spare on the back? It could be a lot of things. Hopefully with a little more information we can start narrowing it down.

InfernoGirl 05-31-2010 07:57 PM

I'd guess tailgate, jack, sub, or muffler...

wrangler0 05-31-2010 08:00 PM

Maybe there's a squirrel stuck to the bottom of the Jeep??

;)

JC JK 06-01-2010 06:15 AM

JDsDream,

You hear this on my 365 gravel yard long driveway. I have a soft-top on now. Small bumps seem to be where you hear it? I have the Body-Armor Front and Rear with swing out tire carrier. I checked the Jack and muffler not it? I was thinking it could be the rear storage deck moving up and down so I took it out last night. I will know more when I get home.

InfernoGirl,

I was thinking Tail-Gate as well.

JIMBOX,

The Trailer Hitch was the first thing I removed.

Thanks Everybody :wavey:

JC JK 06-01-2010 06:18 AM

wrangler0,

Sounds more like a possum then a squirrel :rofl:

sevenservices 06-01-2010 07:47 AM

I saw this before when the plastic/rubber flaps under the fender wells come loose on one part or another, they'll slap, slap, slap... when the wind from the tire hits 'em.

Pull/Push around inside the wells on both sides and check for anything loose. Something to check anyways...

PTaylor 06-01-2010 08:47 AM

I had one do a thumping when you went from 0 to whatever. basic acceleration. It would be a little louder if you really got into it. sounded like something was thumping underneath the vehicle. It would go away almost immediately, like several thumps when accelerating and getting lower and lower with each thump. we checked everything, drive shaft, U joints,etc... never could find it. Nothing ever went bad, it never got worse or better.

Eventually he had some work done to the exhaust and the guy found it was some type of rubber grommet that needed to be replaced on some linkage.

nothing to do with the exhaust, the guy just happened to mention it and the tech found it. whatever he did, added a grommet, replaced a grommet, it made the thumping go away.

joelbarrett 06-01-2010 09:19 AM

Could it be coming from the seat belt retractors? They're notorious for rattling.

Also, definitely check to make sure the jack is expanded in the jack storage area so that it's tight against the walls.

JC JK 06-01-2010 09:58 AM

I will check the exhaust tonight:)

JC JK 06-02-2010 05:12 AM

This is going to sound strange or maybe Funny. But the thumping sound was the storage compartment in the back. The lid was New stiff kind of like spring board! So it would hit the bottom and then the Gate:confused: So I took it out and drove for a long time last night No more thumping. Now I need to get the darn thing to loosen up:D

PartyPat 06-02-2010 01:56 PM

I think I have the same problem. Your saying it is the back compartment?? Lol mine only happens during bumps but sounds like my back passenger door may be loose. Need to actually look into it.

JC JK 06-02-2010 05:59 PM

Yes the back compartment:)