Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   No brake lights? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/no-brake-lights-52018.html)

PTaylor 06-01-2010 08:34 AM

No brake lights?

This one is making me ponder. I've got a YJ sitting in my yard with no brake lights. The fuse is ok and getting voltage. We replaced the brake switch, still no lights. we checked the bulbs, they are ok. all other lights work, hazzard, turn signals, night, just no brake lights. The vehicle hasn't been modded so the wiring is original and in the original location, and I've been looking at that but can't find anything obvious like broke wire, broke connector, etc. Only other thing I know is to start tracing with a volt meter but thought maybe there's another component like a relay or another fuse that I need to check first. Anyone got any advice or seen something like this before?

AfterMath 06-01-2010 08:47 AM

Did you check the switch by the brake pedal? Maybe its not engaging?

Edit: I suggested something that you checked, woops. :doh:

PTaylor 06-01-2010 08:49 AM

thanks for the response.
Isn't that the same as the brake switch or is there another one? i replaced one switch already.

drivebytruckerz 06-01-2010 08:56 AM

You already replaced the little white button looking switch behind your brake pedal? It's like a white version of the switches that cause your interior lights to come on/go off when your doors are open/closed...

PTaylor 06-01-2010 09:15 AM

Yeah, the brake pedal switch has already been replaced. I was 100% sure that would have solved the problem, but now....:banghead:

There's something common that isn't allowing the lights to come on. I just can't find anything else to check other than start tracing wires throughout the whole thing, and I really don't want to do that.

drivebytruckerz 06-01-2010 09:25 AM

Geez.. I hate the kinds of problems.

I will say this about the fuse... I had a fuse in my turn signals that looked fine, wasn't burned or apparently broken by a visual inspection so I thought I had something else wrong.. turned out, I replaced it and now they work fine.. try replacing the fuse if you haven't already, even if it looks good.

PTaylor 06-01-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drivebytruckerz (Post 640439)
Geez.. I hate the kinds of problems.

I will say this about the fuse... I had a fuse in my turn signals that looked fine, wasn't burned or apparently broken by a visual inspection so I thought I had something else wrong.. turned out, I replaced it and now they work fine.. try replacing the fuse if you haven't already, even if it looks good.

thanks, I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt anything.:)

sevenservices 06-01-2010 10:35 AM

Could be the connectors behind the lights. I ran into this on my YJ, pulled the covers, wiggled everything around, been good for six months... Happens to the headlights a lot as well. Before buying headlights for a YJ, check the connections ;)

Garyk 06-01-2010 01:18 PM

x2 on the fuse, it could be corroded. Also use a 12 volt tester and see if you getting current to the brake switch.

PTaylor 06-03-2010 09:27 AM

figured it out.

It was the fuse box itself. After drinking too many beers and messing around in the dark, I noticed that when I plugged in the fuse, I would get a small arc. this meant power was flowing somewhere, sometimes. Also, I could see something out of the corner of my eye just for a millisecond go red. I would have never seen it if it wasn't at night time. I thought I was having a stroke or too many beers, but it was the tail lights coming on and off quickly while I was troubleshooting. I took the bulb out and let it free hang so I could see it and after wiggling around some stuff, traced it back to the box. the connectors aren't making good contact with the blades of the fuse. changing fuses, scraping the fuses, using contact cleaner didn't make a difference. But if I got the fuse just right, the lights would work. I used a small flathead screwdriver to close in the blade connectors and all works great for now. I'll have to keep an eye on it, but it seems to be working. Thanks everyone for your input.

drivebytruckerz 06-03-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTaylor (Post 642911)
figured it out.

It was the fuse box itself. After drinking too many beers and messing around in the dark, I noticed that when I plugged in the fuse, I would get a small arc. this meant power was flowing somewhere, sometimes. Also, I could see something out of the corner of my eye just for a millisecond go red. I would have never seen it if it wasn't at night time. I thought I was having a stroke or too many beers, but it was the tail lights coming on and off quickly while I was troubleshooting. I took the bulb out and let it free hang so I could see it and after wiggling around some stuff, traced it back to the box. the connectors aren't making good contact with the blades of the fuse. changing fuses, scraping the fuses, using contact cleaner didn't make a difference. But if I got the fuse just right, the lights would work. I used a small flathead screwdriver to close in the blade connectors and all works great for now. I'll have to keep an eye on it, but it seems to be working. Thanks everyone for your input.

Glad you got it.. that's frustrating.