Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Jeep Rides Like A Tank!!!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/jeep-rides-like-a-tank-52030.html)

RoSs 06-01-2010 02:04 PM

Jeep Rides Like A Tank!!!!

Ok so i know the ride quality on a jeep is not what ppl buy the things for. Trust me i could really care less about ride quality. But my jeep rides VERY ROUGH. Im talkin bounce u out of the seat make u not want to ever take a back road rough. Rougher than i think it should in other words. I had a chevy truck with a drop kit on it before that rode rough but the jeep puts it to shame. I also have alot of noises coming from under the jeep. Clanking and banging type noises. Ive crawled under there and tightened up alot of things and check everything i know to check to see if its tight but i still have one loud banging noise every time i hit a rough spot. Sounds like its coming from the back of the jeep. I bought it used and the dealer said it "has a 3 inch pro comp lift on it" it looks about like 3" but im not sure if its pro comp or if he just slapped a bunch of stickers on it. Im gonna start with replacing shocks and go from there i guess. Any thoughts will help.

Geoff@Bestop 06-01-2010 02:16 PM

I think I'd start by borrowing another similar Jeep and driving it around for a bit. Get a good comparison.

Or finding a reputable Jeep shop in your town, and making friends with them. In my experience, those guys are more than willing to help - they know they'll get your money sooner or later! Just be a little careful with experts: sometimes they hate everything.

cavediverjc 06-01-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoSs (Post 640623)
Trust me i could really care less about ride quality. But my jeep rides VERY ROUGH.

Wait......which is it? You do or you don't care about ride quality? If you do care about ride quality, buy some OME shocks (or something similar). If you don't care about ride quality, why the post? :D

Pro Comp has stiff springs according to the two people here locally that run Pro Comp lifts. Couple their stiff springs with shocks that aren't necessarily valved for small vehicles and the ride is somewhat "tankish". Ditch the shocks and get some that are specifically valved for YOUR JEEP. I'm running Old Man Emu (OME) Long Travels and it made a WORLD of difference in ride quality both on and off road.

Jerry Bransford 06-01-2010 02:19 PM

The two usual causes of a bad ride like you are describing are the shock absorbers and air pressure in the tires. If your TJ has a ProComp suspension, odds are it also has the uber-stiff riding ProComp ES-3000 shocks that are notorious for their bad/too-stiff ride. I had a set of those shocks 12-13 years ago & they were so stiff I removed them 3-4 months after installing them. ProComp's springs are fine (actually they are very good quality too), it is their shocks that invariably cause a stiff ride.

Skyjacker's Hydro shocks ride well and are inexpensive. Avoid Rancho's RS5000 shocks, they are as stiff as what you have installed now. Most Nitro (gas charged) shocks ride pretty stiffly too, you have to know which gas charged shocks to go with ahead of time.

Also, exactly what air pressure is in your tires and what size tires are on your Jeep?

doclouie 06-01-2010 04:18 PM

Go with Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. They can be stiff or softer than stock. I put some on last weekend and I love them. I have a whole range of shock types in one shock. I got 4 of the shocks for $245 shipped from my4by.com after Rancho's $100 rebate. That makes them cheaper than most other shocks and they are adjustable for all road types. Jerry has had them before and really liked them. I agree.

sevenservices 06-01-2010 04:34 PM

maybe drop your tire PSI by a couple pounds to. If it calls for 40 MAX, run 'em around 35-37 psi and see if it changes. Probably do not want to go more than five pounds under the recomended or you'll get un-even wear patterns...

Aside from that, shocks may be the cause, may just be super-hard shocks???

Indy 06-01-2010 05:51 PM

Just FYI ... 35-37 is WAY TOO MUCH for a 33" tire on a Jeep. It should be around 27-29 psi.

Barrie 06-01-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banipal19 (Post 640895)
just fyi ... 35-37 is way too much for a 33" tire on a jeep. It should be around 27-29 psi.

x2

Jerry Bransford 06-01-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenservices (Post 640779)
maybe drop your tire PSI by a couple pounds to. If it calls for 40 MAX, run 'em around 35-37 psi and see if it changes. Probably do not want to go more than five pounds under the recomended or you'll get un-even wear patterns...

Never inflate a Jeep's tire to the tire pressure molded onto the tire's sidewall. The pressure shown on the sidewall is only its maximum safe allowable air pressure to be used only when the tire is being made to carry its maximum design weight. Since a vehicle normally only weighs about half of what a tire is rated to carry, the usual correct air pressure is often only about half of what the sidewall indicates.

For most 33" tires, the max recommended pressure for the street is pretty close to 27-28 psi. :)

RoSs 06-04-2010 05:48 PM

yea im running 33's at 35 psi. Im gonna go drop the pressure to 27 and see how it feels. The jeep also has like 3 different kinds of shocks. Whoever owned it before me was a complete moron i think. When i get the money ill invest in the Rancho 9000. Have heard multiple good things about them

Hexxum 06-04-2010 05:54 PM

Do you have the poly blocks for the lift with the pro comp shocks? That could make a difference too. You could be riding on very tight springs.

JIMBOX 06-04-2010 06:00 PM

:cool: Even though mine is a four door---

I have My Hankook Dynapro's (33.6") set at 28 psi and a set of RS9000XL's set at (5) for the street

The ride is so good, you can thread a needle on a rough road !!(:9lame:))

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

Jerry Bransford 06-04-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoSs (Post 644444)
yea im running 33's at 35 psi. Im gonna go drop the pressure to 27 and see how it feels.

Good decision, 35 psi is way excessive for that size tire. :)

TJNewbie 06-05-2010 04:25 AM

X2 I run 28psi on my BFG's, wears very well and rides smooth.

meatlord 06-18-2010 12:47 AM

I run 24 to 26 psi on the street with 37x12.50 15 MTRs rides like a caddy on longarms. Either have it weighed and calculate the proper psi, or do the chalk method. So many people dont understand the concept of properly inflated tires/weight/contact patch. Definitely drop some pressure.

IIx4 07-01-2010 02:33 AM

Thanks for the info on tires. Totally new info to me.. Definitly a NEWBIE..

I have a 4" Pro Comp Stage 1 kit on my TJ and agree that the ride seems extremely rough. A good bump in the road and you can bounce into the next lane!

Will post results to tire adjustment.

lancetkenyon 07-01-2010 10:11 AM

27-35 PSI??? Wow. I drove my 32s, 35s, and 37s on the road at 18-20 PSI.

Yagermeister 07-01-2010 02:18 PM

Glad I saw this post. The ride in my new (to me) TJ was pretty rough but I just put it off as how a lifted Jeep should feel. Checked the tire pressure when I went home for lunch today... the PO had them at 44psi! (I have 33's). Even the max rating on the sidewall is 35! I brought them down to 28psi and the ride back from lunch was MUCH more comfortable.

CubbieBlue 07-01-2010 02:52 PM

Also that clanging noise you are hearing from the rear end is likely your muffler banging on something.

See if it is hitting your rear shock.

Son of Siam 07-08-2010 02:57 AM

How much does airing down affect gas milage?

Son of Siam 07-08-2010 03:38 AM

This forum will probably end up getting me arrested in my front yard but its 3:30 in the am and I just went out and let air out of my tires and went for a test run. It's amazing to hear how loud it seems to let air out at 3 am. Seemed to help the rough ride a bit though. Went down to 30psi from 35.

lancetkenyon 07-08-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Siam (Post 680886)
This forum will probably end up getting me arrested in my front yard but its 3:30 in the am and I just went out and let air out of my tires and went for a test run. It's amazing to hear how loud it seems to let air out at 3 am. Seemed to help the rough ride a bit though. Went down to 30psi from 35.

Keep going. Try 20-25.

Son of Siam 07-08-2010 01:08 PM

I have a hardtop. Does that change what psi I should go down to considering the weight or is it not enough to worry about?

Jerry Bransford 07-08-2010 01:19 PM

For 33" tires, and I used to, I'd run them at 26-27 around town. Maybe 28 for the highway if you're going for max fuel economy. The hard top doesn't add much weight but it does make you want to stay towards the higher end of the acceptable range of tire pressures rather than the lower pressures. The heavier the Jeep, the more psi you want for the same size tire. :)

lancetkenyon 07-08-2010 01:21 PM

You will never know until you try. You can always air back up if it gets too soft.

DelsJeep 07-08-2010 02:17 PM

I commute with my Jeep a lot so I've kept the tires to 30s. It handles really well and doesn't seem to bounce excessively. What pressure should I be running? Because I'm pretty sure it's set to the recommended psi on the tires.

Jerry Bransford 07-08-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DelsJeep (Post 681238)
I commute with my Jeep a lot so I've kept the tires to 30s. It handles really well and doesn't seem to bounce excessively. What pressure should I be running? Because I'm pretty sure it's set to the recommended psi on the tires.

We can't tell you what pressure without knowing what size tire it is.

If you are filling your tires to the pressure molded onto the sidewall, that is never the correct pressure to use. That pressure is only the tire's maximum safe air pressure which should only be used when the tire is supporting its maximum permissible weight.

The proper tire pressure always depends on the size of the tire, its construction, and the weight of the vehicle the tire has to support, not simply what its max safe pressure is that is shown on its sidewall. :)

DelsJeep 07-08-2010 02:32 PM

Firestone Destination A/T LTR 30/9.5R15 C

lancetkenyon 07-08-2010 02:33 PM

Recommended PSI on the tires is MAX pressure. Should only be using this when towing or heavily loaded. Try going down 5 PSI, and go down 1 PSI each time you drive. You will find the sweet spot.

Just like airing down. Most people have no clue how far to go down with tire pressure when wheeling. I say start about 13 PSI, and go down 1 PSI every time you wheel. When you start burping air, go up 1 PSI and that is your optimal tire pressure.

Jerry Bransford 07-08-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DelsJeep (Post 681256)
Firestone Destination A/T LTR 30/9.5R15 C

That's pretty much a factory size tire, 30-31 psi is fine for that size tire. The factory recommends 33 psi for that size only when the Jeep is fully loaded with passengers and gear.