Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   auto tranny question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/auto-tranny-question-52049.html)

pakman55 06-01-2010 07:01 PM

auto tranny question

as i get more and more into wheeling, I am starting to worry about my auto trans. is it ok to go through water (not chadwick deep) and semi deep mud? the last thing i need is for my transmission to die. Thanks.

Jerry Bransford 06-01-2010 07:34 PM

What model and year TJ do you have?

pakman55 06-01-2010 07:58 PM

its an 01 sport i believe. its a 4 cyl.

Jerry Bransford 06-01-2010 08:30 PM

Ok if it's a 4 cylinder, it is an "SE", not a Sport. The Sport designation indicates the 4.0L six cylinder engine.

So your SE's automatic transmission is a 30RH (a member of the excellent and reliable Torqueflite TF999 family) which has an air vent on its front face where it bolts to the engine which means you can't take it through deep water. The good news is that vent can be moved to the top of the transmission and have a rubber hose attached to it to raise the vent point up to the top of the radiator level. The bad news is you have to pull the transmission to do it. :)

pakman55 06-01-2010 08:33 PM

so hypothetically if I did that i could go into water up to the engine. also, is there a write upon how to do the mod?

speed_phreak 06-01-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 641162)
Ok if it's a 4 cylinder, it is an "SE", not a Sport. The Sport designation indicates the 4.0L six cylinder engine.

So your SE's automatic transmission is a 30RH (a member of the excellent and reliable Torqueflite TF999 family) which has an air vent on its front face where it bolts to the engine which means you can't take it through deep water. The good news is that vent can be moved to the top of the transmission and have a rubber hose attached to it to raise the vent point up to the top of the radiator level. The bad news is you have to pull the transmission to do it. :)

Wow, good info... since you are in a giving mood..

What do you know about the auto tranny in a 2005 rocky mountain?

TIA

Jerry Bransford 06-01-2010 08:42 PM

Here's a very good writeup on how to move the vent on a 32RH transmission which should be identical to what you would do on the more lightly built 30RH. Relocating vent on 32rh 3 speed auto - JeepForum.com

Yes in theory you could into water up to about the bottom of the headlights if you are certain the remote vent tubes for both axles, the transfer case, and the new one going to the transmission are connected properly. :)

pakman55 06-01-2010 08:43 PM

thank you very much Jerry. This may turn into a weekend project!

Jerry Bransford 06-01-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed_phreak (Post 641173)
Wow, good info... since you are in a giving mood..

What do you know about the auto tranny in a 2005 rocky mountain?

TIA

Yep, the automatic transmission used behind the 4.0L engine on 2003 and newer TJs is the 42RLE. Its vent is on top of the transmission but even though I just acquired a new TJ with that transmission, I don't know if its top vent has a hose connected to it by the factory or not. I'd be quicker to check that out on my TJ except I wheel in the desert and hardly ever cross any water in it. :)

pakman55 06-01-2010 08:47 PM

sorry another quick question...how deep can i go stock?

Jerry Bransford 06-01-2010 08:53 PM

Stock? I"d go no deeper than the bottom of the transmission and I'd be driving real slow. Auto transmissions don't like getting any water inside.

pakman55 06-01-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 641201)
Stock? I"d go no deeper than the bottom of the transmission and I'd be driving real slow. Auto transmissions don't like getting any water inside.

yea, thats kinda why i wish she was a stick. thanks again for all your help!

Jerry Bransford 06-01-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pakman55 (Post 641204)
yea, thats kinda why i wish she was a stick. thanks again for all your help!

I converted my last TJ FROM a stick to an automatic which is, for offroad, a better transmission. My newer rock crawling TJ has an automatic too, the preferred transmission for 5+ rated rock crawling trails. Besides, water can get into a manual transmission and harm it too. :)

pakman55 06-01-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 641213)
I converted my last TJ FROM a stick to an automatic which is, for offroad, a better transmission. My newer rock crawling TJ has an automatic too, the preferred transmission for 5+ rated rock crawling trails. Besides, water can get into a manual transmission and harm it too. :)

i guess it is easier to battle with just the trail, not the trail and the transmission. I will just avoid the deep stuff and enjoy what I can get through.

Jerry Bransford 06-01-2010 09:28 PM

It's not so much that the automatic is easier to drive offroad, which of course it is, it is that the automatic's torque converter provides 2-3X more low-end torque (yes, that is true) than you get from a manual transmission. Not to mention an immense amount of added control on extreme level trails with an automatic when compared to a manual. Converting my TJ's factory 5-speed manual tranny to an automatic transformed my otherwise well built rock crawler to a nearly unstoppable but more controlled beast on the rocks. By the way, I have well over 40 years of driving stick shifts so it's not like I have a bias against manual transmissions.

Manual transmissions for sports cars (an automatic in a Porsche or Corvette would be a sin) but offroad vehicles do far better with automatics. :)

pakman55 06-01-2010 09:33 PM

I have seen some of the trail you ride on via your website. i dont think i will ever be going on those...at least in my jeep :D

its just up here in MA most of the trails are nice and wet. no fun deserts to play in :mad:

i guess there are pros and cons to auto. since i have not had any problems so far, i have no regrets.

06TJinVA 06-02-2010 12:23 PM

Yeah I have an 06 Tj with and auto and o/d. I think in 04 or 03 is when they started offering the O/D option which is awesome. I just flip the switch when I'm on a lot of hills and offroading.