Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Will I make it cross country...and back? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/will-i-make-it-cross-country-and-back-52056.html)

shoch87 06-01-2010 07:06 PM

Will I make it cross country...and back?

I am new to this whole Jeep thing. I bought a 95 YJ this winter after realizing my Camaro wouldn't make it through the New England winter. The Jeep runs great with a whopping 173,000 miles on it.

My question is whether the experts out there (you guys and gals reading this) think my YJ will make it from Connecticut (where I am living now) to California (where my brother is getting married) and back.

I am a teacher which means I get the summers off. I thought it may be fun to take the jeep on a 6,000 mile journey this summer. Let me know if you think it is a good idea, bad idea, crazy idea, stupid idea or the best idea ever (which is what I am thinking right about now).

The problems so far have been:

1. Weld broke on rear trac bar? (whatever holds the axel to the frame keeping it from swaying)

2. Throttle position sensor went bad

3. Wobbles slightly from 62 - 67 but gets better by 70mph

1 and 2 have been repaired.

Let me know what you think.

drivebytruckerz 06-01-2010 07:25 PM

Give yourself a little extra time in case something goes wrong, and add towing and rental car to your car insurance juuuuust in case. Don't want to miss a wedding... But to answer your question.. man if I had an excuse to do that drive I'd do it in a heartbeat. Top down all the way.. Do it dude.. and take a lot of pictures for us.

Barrie 06-01-2010 07:28 PM

I would get #3 fixed no matter the cost. I would also get the cooling system checked over and also the fuel system.

drivebytruckerz 06-01-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie in Maine (Post 641155)
I would get #3 fixed no matter the cost. I would also get the cooling system checked over and also the fuel system.

X2

Also.. change ALL of your fluids/filters (Oil, Coolant, Trans, Front Dif, Rear Dif, Transfer Case... etc) and make sure you've got a good set of tires a good belt and top and bottom radiator hoses.

Geoff@Bestop 06-01-2010 10:36 PM

Triple A and cell phones have done amazing things for turning these type of trips from scary to just adventure. Sign up for AAA. Have fun. Take some side roads that don't even show up on the map.

drivebytruckerz 06-01-2010 10:38 PM

If you don't sign up for something.. at least get trip insurance. I've heard some total horror stories averted. But max out those little dollar perks on your car insurance.. towing, labor, rental car.. then cancel it when you get home if you want.

p.s. Make sure you have a fire extinguisher.

Razorus 06-02-2010 01:06 PM

OMG.....although it sounds like a lot of fun, I cannot imagine wrassling with my rig all the way across this country. That is a lot of driving at 70 MPH with incessant flapping in the background. How about renting a motorhome and towing your rig? A traveling motel with fun just a few feet behind you...:)

AfterMath 06-02-2010 01:09 PM

I also experience number 3 from 55-60 mph...it goes away after 60.

My issue is caused by a rim that is so badly bent that its not capable of being balanced. The only option I know of is to get a new rim.

yotefever 06-02-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 641387)
Triple A and cell phones have done amazing things for turning these type of trips from scary to just adventure. Sign up for AAA. Have fun. Take some side roads that don't even show up on the map.

x2 They have lots of maps, can help you plan your route and will get you a good towing service if you need it when away from home.

Kate 06-02-2010 02:03 PM

I LOVE road trips!!

I took a month long road trip last year in my TJ.
Drove from Tennessee, across to Texas, then up into California and on in to southern Oregon, then back again.

The WORST thing about making the trip was that I had to turn around and come home.

On the trip I spent about $1000 in emergency repairs, on a rig that only had 36k miles on it. I threw a rear pinion bearing and then my adjustable control arms decided to go south on me. I developed an issue on the way home where the CATS failed, giving me some issues on full throttle and the AC suddenly didn't want to blow anywhere I told it unless I released the throttle and let the vacuum catch up to it.

Point being. On a rig as new as mine is, and as well cared for.. I didn't expect ANY of this but it happened.

On a rig as old as yours, you should PLAN on something happening. Give yourself a good buffer in time for when it breaks down and you have to wait for parts. Mine was in the shop for a week. Luckily I was visiting my daughter in Amarillo and had the good fortune of finding a good reliable shop to do the rear end.

If you have a credit card with a healthy balance available on it, take it. Expect to use it.

Carry an emergency (trail) kit with you. Duct tape, zip ties, tool kit and so on.(I lost a nut on top of one of my shocks last trip to TX, zip tied the shock up until I could get parts to fix it) Carry plenty of water.

Check your belts & hoses. Couldn't hurt to have spare belts & hoses if yours are older. AND th etools to replace them.

Highway 40 going through OK is a bitch. I mean an unruly, bumpy, long drawn out, nasty bitch. All bad concrete joints and it will bounce your kidneys out by the time you are through it.

Google Jeep clubs in the states you will be passing through, find their forums and introduce yourself. Tell them where you're going and when you'll be through. That way if you need help, you have contacts. I did that and thank goodness I met some of the folks from Lone Star Jeep club. They helped me find a mechanic when I needed one.

In Amarillo: Fabwright Shop Phone#: (806) 354-8900 - Jackie is top notch. He isn't cheap, but he knows his stuff.

I drove my CJ once from Salt Lake to the central valley in California. By the time I got there I was nearly beat to death. The TJ's coil springs are MUCH more accommodating for long trips.

Happy trails to you, I wish it was ME!!
I need a road trip.

Hmmmmm... almost time for another run to Texas methinks!

Point being, PLAN on

Garyk 06-02-2010 02:11 PM

Your post does not say if its a 6 or 4. If its a 4banger you're in for one hell of a ride. Personally I would get a round trip airfare, probably cheaper and safer. Keep in mind that interstate speeds are a lot higher in the midwest than CT and you will have a tough time keeping with traffic unless to take secondary roads.
We are headed the opposite way, going to CT.(but not in my Jeep....)

Geoff@Bestop 06-02-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garyk (Post 641911)
Your post does not say if its a 6 or 4. If its a 4banger you're in for one hell of a ride. Personally I would get a round trip airfare, probably cheaper and safer. Keep in mind that interstate speeds are a lot higher in the midwest than CT and you will have a tough time keeping with traffic unless to take secondary roads.
We are headed the opposite way, going to CT.(but not in my Jeep....)

Gary: I'm taking a different opinion on this.

A 4cylinder YJ is a horrible cross-country car, granted. Underpowered, overloud, too short, too tall, too crowded.

But that's exactly why it's perfect to load it up and take off.

I could go out to the parking lot here at work, drive my almost new Honda Civic all the way to Maine, turn around head to Florida and return to Colorado. And not have a single adventure. Nothing would break, MPG would be outstanding. The biggest issue will be finding good radio stations, but I've got an iPod plug for that.

In other words, boring.

Cross country in a YJ? The type of trip you tell people about.

I once drove a 25' stepvan cross country. That was an adventure. Top speed of 50-ish. Plenty of room for hitchhikers in the back.

Let's all go have adventures of some sort this summer!

sevenservices 06-02-2010 02:56 PM

I think you'll be fine, other than x3 on fixing the shake, it could get your tires real hot on a longggg road if its them making it shake.

Also, make sure your fuel sys and cooling sys are fine.

My 94' is going on a 9 hour ride from mid-michigan to wisconsin shortly. Im taking extra gas, basic tools, cell phone, gps, clothes, etc... my plan is to do an oil change just before I leave and also check my tire pressures as even just a couple pounds low on one tire can shoot the MPG in the arse and throw out the wear pattern.

Kate 06-02-2010 03:15 PM

OH! Speaking of wear patterns.
On a trip this long, have your tires roted before you leave, When you reach your destination and again when you get home.

You'll be happy that you did... go ahead.. ask me how I know this. http://st.deviantart.com/emoticons/t/tantrum.gif http://st.deviantart.com/emoticons/a/ashamed2.gif

Russ13 06-02-2010 03:30 PM

You are going to pay more on fuel than it would cost to fly round trip... When you land in California rent a Wrangler for a couple days. You will also save your YJ from all the wear and tear along the way! Trust me; (unless you are an over the road trucker who is used to being on the road for a week at a time) if you drive from the east coast to the west and back you will be joining the Anti-Wrangler Forum. You will get half way there and want to do this to yourself:bottom: lol

Although, you could have the time of your life... I would prob fly myself. Please don't be offended, I'm just joking!!!

drivebytruckerz 06-02-2010 03:41 PM

It's not about cost dude... it's about the drive. Jeepin across the country is worth every gallon of gas.

P.S. Invest in a $99 tom tom or something to keep you on path.

little1989jeep 06-02-2010 03:45 PM

do it i wish i could do something like this.

things needed
1. spare every thing you think can break belts hoses and odds and ends.
2. 2 jerry cans for fuel
3. tools
4. the jeep spirt of fun and adventure

and last just have fun its a story you can tell others and not many people do something like this

shoch87 06-02-2010 05:38 PM

The Decision is Near

Thanks to everyone for your input. Many of the things (such as AAA etc I have already considered; many things I had not considered). I am going to take the Jeep in tomorrow and see if they can figure out the death wobble issue. I will also have them do a thorough check on all belts, hoses etc.

If I can get the wobble fixed, its a go. Time is not an issue (as long as I can make the wedding. Even if I have to end up flying from wherever the YJ breaks down I should still be able to make the wedding).

Here is the plan:
Leave on the afternoon of - Jun. 10th.
Stop in Oklahoma to visit college friends/family (Oklahoma State Alumni)
Make it to the wedding reception - Jun 17th (evening)
Spend a weekend in Vegas - Jun 19th
Head north to Colorado - Jun. 21st
Come back home - Before mid august :D

If I do go I will be sure to keep everyone posted on the progress.

P.S. Great Idea getting in touch with Jeep enthusiasts from around the nation before my trip. Will definitely do so. Anyone here who is remotely on the way who would be up for lunch/dinner off of I-40, I 84, I 80 or I 70 on the path to California I am available.

Kate 06-02-2010 06:47 PM

We're in middle Tennessee.
Would be more than happy to have you drop in for dinner, will give you a soft place to land for the evening and a hot shower.

I'll PM you some contact info.

scrambler1 06-02-2010 08:15 PM

Take some time looking over your jeep.
u-joint's,front wheel bearings, make sure your brakes are in good shape.
Check your coolant would be a good idea to flush the system and new coolant.
go through and make sure all the suspension/steering componets are in good shape and all the nut's and bolts are tight.
Tune up would be a good idea plugs and wires,air/fuel filters. (this would help on fuel consumption)
spare fluids,tools,rags,Booster pac,small air compressor,spare fuses,mechanics wire, a good spare tire.
Are you running a soft top?
Good luck I hope everything works out.

tmulholland24 06-02-2010 09:10 PM

I drove across the country in a 21' toyota winnebago that topped out at 55mph downhill...i have no problem hitting 70mph in my 4banger YJ so believe me the trip wont be too bad at all jus a little bumpy and not the fastest.

I would deffinitley get AAA because you get towing included and they will set you up with awesome directions for a road trip with many stops

4Jeepn 06-02-2010 09:26 PM

With the miles you have on it.

Replace the driveshaft u-joints
Replace the front u-joints
Radiator hoses
heater hoses
Make sure your tires are not stuck on the lugs incase you have to change a tire
make sure the jack works
carry extra fuses
duck tape
cb
camera.

don't leave anything in the jeep you can't afford to have stolen.

shoch87 06-07-2010 07:50 PM

The Adventure Begins on Thursday!!!

After taking into consideration many suggestions, I will be making the trip. As the title states, the trip will start on Thursday June 10.

Click here to view my planned route.

If you are on the path, let me know. I would love to meet up with some fellow enthusiasts along the way.

I am also in the process of crafting a sleeping surface in the rear of the jeep for the peaceful nights. I will be posting pictures soon and will update along the journey.

Wish me good fortune!!!

Barrie 06-07-2010 07:52 PM

Good luck.:wavey:

Snuffy115 06-07-2010 09:33 PM

Gods speed

I see Chicago is on your route. I'm in just outside of Chicago.

drivebytruckerz 06-07-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoch87 (Post 647102)
I am also in the process of crafting a sleeping surface in the rear of the jeep for the peaceful nights. I will be posting pictures soon and will update along the journey.

Wish me good fortune!!!

One of the best night's sleep I ever had was in a sleeping bag in the back of an Army HMMWV in the California desert near Death Valley under the stars. I know it's not a Jeep story, but same principal and had to wheel to get there and on the Army's dime.

..anyway.. good luck dude and God Bless.

TKorona 06-07-2010 10:06 PM

Cant believe I just stumbled upon this thread! Good luck my man! I have a 95 YJ too. I'm from Connecticut and I dig what you're doing. Wanting to get out and do this, no matter what anyone says. When you get back (cuz I know you will) hit me up. We'll compare YJs (maybe by that point our mileage will be even!)

jdhallissey 06-07-2010 11:01 PM

Yea keep us updated on here. I am in IL. So We could meet up here and possibly even go wheeling if you like.

bthor76 06-07-2010 11:10 PM

Looks like there's no talking you out of it. I don't want to be a downer but I just don't see you doing it a second time. I have a 4 banger and I avoid the I-10 even for short trips. I couldn't imagine doing it for 6k miles. Good luck though and I truely hope I'm wrong.

Got_Mud? 06-08-2010 06:35 AM

Just a thought - AAA has different levels of service - if you don't have the "Premier" package, you may want to look into it. I upped to that package when I found out that the standard package only covers towing for 3 miles, then $2 a mile over that (Three guesses how I discovered *that* little tidbit of information...). The Premier package tows up to 200 miles twice a year and up to 100 miles otherwise. Plus they will bring you *FREE* gas if you run out for whatever reason (one gallon only, though). I think I pay $120 a year for it, and have used it, although never on my Jeep - go figure (And I *KNOW* now I've jinxed that...sigh ).
Anyway - it sounds like a BLAST! Be safe, have FUN, and good luck!!!!