Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   how do you install fuel pump on YJ? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/how-do-you-install-fuel-pump-on-yj-52133.html)

South23 06-02-2010 07:45 PM

how do you install fuel pump on YJ?

Ok, I was able to disconect the old fuel pump, clean the area, and bolt on the new fuel pump.
Reconnected the inlet tube. But how in the hell do you reconnect that pre-bent metal tubey thingy that connects to the hose with the fuel filter?
I tried for an hour, and every time I was able to get it threaded on, it was now where near being able to connect to the fuel filter hose. The time I stopped in the rotation process and connected it to the fuel filter hose, it was so loose, you can guess what happened when I cranked the jeep to test.... gas spraying all over. So i shut down, and kept trying, but i can't get it.
does anyone have any pointers, what am i doing wrong?

thanks

bck4more 06-02-2010 08:40 PM

Id say just get rid of the manual one and install an electric one thats what i did

kik 06-03-2010 06:31 AM

You might actually have the wrong fuel pump. With my 89 4.2 there are two types of fuel pumps. One that the line to the fuel filter faces to the front of the Jeep and one that faces to the rear. I had to make sure I got the one that faced to the front for my application and there was no problem. Hope this helps.

South23 06-03-2010 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kik (Post 642783)
You might actually have the wrong fuel pump. With my 89 4.2 there are two types of fuel pumps. One that the line to the fuel filter faces to the front of the Jeep and one that faces to the rear. I had to make sure I got the one that faced to the front for my application and there was no problem. Hope this helps.

well the one i purchased is the exact same as the one that came off, with the rear facing inlet hose nipple, but it is impossible to screw back on the pre-bent outlet tube, and get it to line up over the block so that the fuel filter hose will connect. I don't know what in the heck is wrong with this thing:banghead:

Vector6 06-03-2010 09:40 AM

remove it from the block,

and attach that hose loosely first,

then bolt it back on the block then tighten the output line and hook up the other line

sevenservices 06-03-2010 10:06 AM

^ x2 try hooking up the hose first if you can

South23 06-03-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vector6 (Post 642918)
remove it from the block,

and attach that hose loosely first,

then bolt it back on the block then tighten the output line and hook up the other line

I'll try. Just a thought...is the end of the prebent ful pipe that connects to the fuel pump, is it supposed to swivel? That would solve all my issues. i can't tell, it has some rust on it.

wiliamconnorl 09-09-2010 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by South23 (Post 642987)
I'll try. Just a thought...is the end of the prebent ful pipe that connects to the fuel pump, is it supposed to swivel? That would solve all my issues. i can't tell, it has some rust on it.

did your problem is solved.. if yes pls explain how.. i am in same kind of problem for that i am looking to rectify