Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Dome light stuck on while going doorless? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/dome-light-stuck-on-while-going-doorless-52251.html)

Pontiackid87 06-04-2010 05:19 PM

Dome light stuck on while going doorless?

So I bought a mirror relocation kit from quaratec today and went doorless. But i noticed my dome light stay's on. Go figure thats what happens when you go doorless but, How do you get the dome light top go out? My buddy said theres a fuse you have to pull but i dont know which one. Thanks guys.

pakman55 06-04-2010 05:22 PM

USE THE SEARCH!!!!!!

behind the glove box, fuse #4

Pontiackid87 06-04-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pakman55 (Post 644500)
USE THE SEARCH!!!!!!

behind the glove box, fuse #4

Lol i did use it but the only thing that came up was a wire set up for an on off switch in a YJ. Thanks for the help though dude.

pakman55 06-04-2010 05:25 PM

no worries. if you cant find it i have a picture that i got from the forum.

OklaTJ 06-04-2010 05:26 PM

lol mine has never worked!

TDCoffee 06-04-2010 06:52 PM

Quadratech carries a set of "springs" for just a few dollars which will clip to the door switch when your doors are off, essentially telling the jeep that the doors are closed and thus keeps the dome light off. WAY easier than pulling fuses

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13029_100.htm

Jerry Bransford 06-04-2010 07:07 PM

I dunno how installing two spring clips you have to order from Quadratec can be easier than pulling a single stupid little fuse put there for this specific purpose. The Jeep engineers specifically designed that fuse to only disable the door jamb switches, not the overhead light itself. The interior lights can still be turned on by the usual dashlight dimmer control after the fuse has been pulled.

I can't figure out for the life of me how anyone can figure pulling the #4 fuse is so difficult. Maybe for those who have to pay others to do everything on their Jeep? I dunno. :confused:

nick50471 06-04-2010 07:29 PM

The fuse is not difficult if you have small hands. I have my wife pull the fuse. That is even easier.

doclouie 06-04-2010 08:50 PM

Fuse #4 in the bottom right of the panel.

Pleiner87 06-04-2010 09:20 PM

I picked up a fuse puller from a random car at the junkyard to pull mine fuse... and it was free!!!

radar 06-04-2010 09:56 PM

put a $2.00 switch on mine now i don't have to pull that fuse

McGridDLe 06-05-2010 07:59 AM

i have an 06 TJ and on mine its the very bottom right fuse. on the back of the glove box there is a guide, and it either says dome light or something that has to do with the doors, its raining or i would go check for you. but I pulled mine and just leave it out all the time, wheather i have doors or not.

pakman55 06-05-2010 08:30 AM

im pretty sure that its in the owners manuel.

alstjruby03 06-05-2010 08:38 AM

yes fuse 4 works great.i agree with jerry how hard is it to pull a fuse?

philliprose25 06-05-2010 10:09 AM

I had the same problem so I wired in a regular toggle on/off switch and mounted that in the center dash near the O/D on/off switch. It took me about an hour and I already had switches and wire so it was free. If you'd like me to send you DIY instructions, shopping list and pics, i'd be glad to do so. just let me know.

This method is a lot quicker and cheaper, in my opinion, then buying those springs they sell, but that's just because I love messing with electrical things

doclouie 06-05-2010 10:48 AM

I am getting the springs for the doors as it causes weird problems with my alarm system, but I am sure that is just my Jeep.

IndyJeepMan 06-05-2010 11:56 AM

I dont see how it could cause problems? That fuse is set up just for the doors nothing else.

I guess people dont like saving money and just doing the easy fixes. Ive taken my fuse out and left it out, I dont need a light to be on to step in my Jeep.

philliprose25 06-05-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 644975)
I am getting the springs for the doors as it causes weird problems with my alarm system, but I am sure that is just my Jeep.

I'm not saying the springs wouldn't work...but...if you put the switch in, you dont have to worry about loosing those springs. Again, if you'd like, I'll type up some instructions and pictures to walk you through installing a switch. just let me know.

doclouie 06-05-2010 01:13 PM

You would think it would not cause problems, but it does. For some reason when the fuse is pulled and the doors are off the alarm will not fully turn on. Not sure why, but that is why I need the springs for the doors. Trust me if I could save the money I would.

Ageless Stranger 06-05-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry bransford (Post 644607)
i dunno how installing two spring clips you have to order from quadratec can be easier than pulling a single stupid little fuse put there for this specific purpose. The jeep engineers specifically designed that fuse to only disable the door jamb switches, not the overhead light itself. The interior lights can still be turned on by the usual dashlight dimmer control after the fuse has been pulled.

I can't figure out for the life of me how anyone can figure pulling the #4 fuse is so difficult. Maybe for those who have to pay others to do everything on their jeep? I dunno. :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by alstjruby03 (Post 644933)
yes fuse 4 works great.i agree with jerry how hard is it to pull a fuse?

x3

osu50sprinter 06-05-2010 01:34 PM

just pull the fuse!!!

G54 06-05-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan (Post 645020)
I dont see how it could cause problems? That fuse is set up just for the doors nothing else.

Without the fuse I have no audible warning of keys left in the ignition or headlights left on. I still pull it for the summer though.

drivebytruckerz 06-05-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgus (Post 645195)
Without the fuse I have no audible warning of keys left in the ignition or headlights left on. I still pull it for the summer though.

Yeah, that's the only downfall. My wife drove my Wrangler so I could pick up my new bumper in her Grand Cherokee and she left the lights on and got stranded at work.

bobjenkins 09-01-2010 02:27 AM

heres my solution

kpool 09-01-2010 03:28 AM

alarm on a wrangler???? WTF:rofl:

warlock4890 09-01-2010 08:29 AM

Quadratec sells a switch with fusetaps and an inline fuse holder. You remove the #4 fuse, put in the taps and put the fuse in the line. Then when you take off your doors you just flip the switch to cut the power. Its $30. You can build one for less, but it's worth the money in my opinion.

Quadratec Exclusive JW-DLB - TJ Dome Light Switch for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Imag...8/37358-lg.jpg

gryph 09-27-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgus (Post 645195)

You take the keys out of your jeep?

s3nt3nc3d 09-27-2010 10:32 PM

I found an easier method than pulling the fuse... if you keep a pretty full glove box like I do (non-valuables), it can be a bit of a chore removing the door of the glove box. Plus unless you keep a fuse puller in the Jeep or have tiny fingers, the fuse is kind of a pain to remove (in a split second).

What I did was unhook my door switch on both sides...I modified the clip on the switch (just shave the little notch off with a pocket knife) so it pops on and off pretty easily and then when I have the doors on, I hook up the driver's side switch. When the doors are off, I unhook it. If I wanted the passenger side one hooked up, I could do it too...takes all of about 5 seconds once you've modified the connector so it pops on and off easily. The switches just pull straight out...or if you feel like you might break the switch reach up from behind and push them out.

Fofo 09-28-2010 01:03 AM

I rewired mine with a custom switch as well. However I used a duel post switch because both sides are independent. If you open the passengers door then the light/key chime doesn't go but it does on the drivers side. This is on my 04 tj.

oldskool71 09-28-2010 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warlock4890 (Post 753129)
Quadratec sells a switch with fusetaps and an inline fuse holder. You remove the #4 fuse, put in the taps and put the fuse in the line. Then when you take off your doors you just flip the switch to cut the power. Its $30. You can build one for less, but it's worth the money in my opinion.

Quadratec Exclusive JW-DLB - TJ Dome Light Switch for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Imag...8/37358-lg.jpg

I like this...gotta be able to build this for less than that