Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Watch out if you live in Ohio. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/watch-out-if-you-live-in-ohio-52449.html)

PTaylor 06-07-2010 02:49 PM

Watch out if you live in Ohio.

C&P:
http://www.ohio.com/editorial/opinions/95713184.html

The Ohio Supreme Court has ruled that you can now get a speeding conviction if a police officer believes by his own estimation that you were going too fast.

In the five to one decision, the Ohio Supreme Court last week ruled that an officer's visual estimation of speed is enough to get a conviction, as long as the officer is trained, certified by a training academy and has experience in watching speeders. The ruling means that it is not necessary for the officer to have an independent verification, like a radar device, to verify the speed.

yj-genral 06-07-2010 03:13 PM

WOW that is nice!

yj-genral 06-07-2010 03:15 PM

what if his estimation is off by even 5 mph... thats ALOT when you consider they generally wont pull you over for doing 5 over the speed limit but will pull you over for 10 over the speed limit, if his estimation is off by 5 mph then you could get ticketed when he normally wouldnt stop you... awesome!

Samsrubicon 06-07-2010 03:26 PM

all police officers are trained to "estimate" speed in acadamy. but they are not sufficient in getting a conviction on "exact" speed. they would say you were going unreasonably fast or recklessly fast. at least thats in NY for what i know.

yj-genral 06-07-2010 03:37 PM

i guess it would have to be a above and beyond the speed limit kind of situation to make any kind of call like that... still... will all the radar and lasers and stuff out there with speed calculators in the car if they are moving to calculate your speed if your comign at them and all that stuff... why would you give it up to the officer to estimate your speed... sounds ludacris and i bet will be taken advantage of more than once...

G54 06-07-2010 05:12 PM

That's bu!!$h!+

Good thing I'm old and drive well beneath the speed limit anyway. :D

Loo 06-07-2010 05:22 PM

yea, I'm not a huge fan of the ruling considering that my odometer is about 10% off thanks to larger tires. Personally I think that any "estimated" speeding ticket should go to a trial by jury...NO Way would you EVER be convicted by a jury of your peers when it comes to a cop eyeballing a guesstimate of your speed.

GroundHawg 06-07-2010 05:23 PM

That's bullsh*t. So basically, a cop can pull you over now for any reason at all. The cop could just say "I thought he was going too fast, so I pulled him over"

I swear, each day that goes by I hear of another law the inches us closer to a Nazi/Police and or Nanny State. Rediculous.

Guess I better get my speedometer fixed now

G54 06-07-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loo (Post 646981)
yea, I'm not a huge fan of the ruling considering that my odometer is about 10% off thanks to larger tires. Personally I think that any "estimated" speeding ticket should go to a trial by jury...NO Way would you EVER be convicted by a jury of your peers when it comes to a cop eyeballing a guesstimate of your speed.

I was thinking...when you go to court tell them there is no way the cop could have estimated your speed correctly because you have installed bigger tires and your speedo is off and he couldn't have possibly known that. They just might get confused enough to dismiss it.

4Jeepn 06-07-2010 05:49 PM

what's next... Officer," I arrested this guy cuz I think he is going to rob the store" What about evidence guess that does not matter anymore.

PTaylor 06-08-2010 10:15 AM

IMO, it doesn't matter what you say, what you do. If they want you, they will get you. I've had more than a few dealings, they've charged me with stuff that they have let others go for. I've taken one to court and won due to racism. Yeah, a white guy won in court due to racism from a black cop. that's one for the record books.

Point is, you better be able to prove you wasn't doing anything wrong and have a lawyer to do your talking or else your guilty as soon as you see the lights.

Again, just my opinion. I've lost ALOT of respect for cops, the law, and our judicial system over the years. i've got friends in law enforcement, hell one in SWAT, but that's a different mentality.

yotefever 06-08-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn (Post 647007)
what's next... Officer," I arrested this guy cuz I think he is going to rob the store" What about evidence guess that does not matter anymore.

You might want to read this. Pre-Crime Policing - Reason Magazine

Also do a Google search on David Pyles. I wonder if Tom Cruise works on the pd there??