Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Cruise Control (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/cruise-control-52506.html)

volfireman07 06-08-2010 08:44 AM

Cruise Control
 
Has anyone put cruise control on their JK? Mine didn't come with it and I am thinking about buying the kit (pn 82210216 for $215).

How hard is it to install?
Is it worth having?

N39-W120 06-08-2010 08:49 AM

I have it and don't use it. Not using cruise control helps keep your mind on the road.

Kate 06-08-2010 09:08 AM

I wouldn't own a vehicle without cruise control.
Keeps me from getting tickets. Sounds like an economical upgrade that you will really enjoy.

Maybe N39 will give you his since he doesn't use it. :D

One thought though, does the cruise on those have the controls on a stick or is it on the steering wheel? If it's on the wheel, you may have to replace that too and those are big bucks.

thaduke2003 06-08-2010 09:23 AM

Nope- it's on a separate stalk. It's a bit of work, but nothing you can't do yourself in a couple hours (conservatively- should only take an hour, hour and a half). I LOVE the warning about removing the steering wheel that comes in the instructions- shows a dude whacking himself in the face with the steering wheel- VERY funny :)
Anyway, cruise control is great if you're in a fairly flat area or driving auto. In hilly areas, with a manual trans, it can cause some serious lug and loss of speed on an uphill, or on a steep downhill, overspeed (since it isn't an advanced system that can control the brakes as well). I still want it for mine (6-speed in hilly country) for the times I'm going down the road a ways- Mark W.

volfireman07 06-09-2010 01:29 PM

The kit is supposed to be OEM. I used my cruise control on my last vehicle a lot. Last time I reset my GPS max speed it was 94 mph. I noticed my fuel economy was much improved on trips where I set the cruise. Of course the hills in E. Tennessee will be an issue.

JIMBOX 06-09-2010 01:44 PM

:cool: My cruise control works SPLENDIDLY with my OD/auto and my lift/big tires -

BUT ONLY on longggggg flat freeway and I don't see that much !!

So if you have a STOCK SUSPENSION jeep, its a good idea to have cruise control!!

Or if you live in Florida--

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

Kate 06-09-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 649051)
:cool: My cruise control works SPLENDIDLY with my OD/auto and my lift/big tires -

BUT ONLY on longggggg flat freeway and I don't see that much !!

So if you have a STOCK SUSPENSION jeep, its a good idea to have cruise control!!

Or if you live in Florida--

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

Hey Jimbo, did you regear when you put the bigger tires on?

I run 5.13 gears and 35" tires on a 4" lift with a 4.0, Auto/OD tranny. I don't have any complaints. Although when I get in hills and a lot of up and down stuff I turn the OD off. Makes it a little easier on the poor lil guy.

Kate 06-09-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaduke2003 (Post 647514)
Nope- it's on a separate stalk. It's a bit of work, but nothing you can't do yourself in a couple hours (conservatively- should only take an hour, hour and a half). I LOVE the warning about removing the steering wheel that comes in the instructions- shows a dude whacking himself in the face with the steering wheel- VERY funny :)
Mark W.

Could they be referring to the air bags?
Post up a pic!

JIMBOX 06-09-2010 02:59 PM

:cool:--NOPE, I have 4.10 gears and thats right at the edge, with 33" tires


Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 649096)
Hey Jimbo, did you regear when you put the bigger tires on?

I run 5.13 gears and 35" tires on a 4" lift with a 4.0, Auto/OD tranny. I don't have any complaints. Although when I get in hills and a lot of up and down stuff I turn the OD off. Makes it a little easier on the poor lil guy.

I don't have any plans to get bigger tires, cause these are FINE (Hankook Dynapro-33.6"), now IF I stumble on a deal, I might regear, but I've already got a set of 16" and 17", so it's unlikely and I still get pretty good mileage!!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

hig4s 06-09-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volfireman07 (Post 647478)
Has anyone put cruise control on their JK? Mine didn't come with it and I am thinking about buying the kit (pn 82210216 for $215).

How hard is it to install?
Is it worth having?

When I bought mine, the dealer installed for the same price it was listed for as an option on Jeeps that already had it. Actually it is standard on every Wrangler except 2 door Sport.

canoeman 06-09-2010 07:03 PM

If it's steady driving the cruise is always on. Wouldn't buy without it.

jk'n 06-09-2010 07:43 PM

Can't comment on the install but Mark W. already did a good job on that.

I use my cruise all the time and don't find the shifter on my standard any problem whatsoever. Sometime to prevent bogging in hilly areas I'm in 5th. Sometimes I set it in 5th without realizing I'm in 5th and shift to 6th then I just hit resume...no problem. It works great and wouldn't own a vehicle without one these days. It seems almost standard equipment on most vehicles. The wonders of modern technology. Good luck with your improvement project if you decide to take the plunge.

firehawk_1989 06-09-2010 09:38 PM

My Sport didn't come with it, but I wanted it. Would have bought it and installed myself buy I was able to talk the dealer down to $25 total for the parts AND installation. Couldn't beat that!

woodman 06-09-2010 10:11 PM

cruise
 
its good on long trips and on 4 lane highways

zabooda 06-10-2010 02:45 AM

Cheaper to buy the parts seperately rather than a kit. I added a cruise and used a kit but all it is is the stalk, a matching color collar for the column and a horn wiring harness with the cruise control connector. Parts should be less than $60. I bought mine off of ebay for about $150.

space-ghost 06-10-2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volfireman07 (Post 649040)
The kit is supposed to be OEM. I used my cruise control on my last vehicle a lot. Last time I reset my GPS max speed it was 94 mph. I noticed my fuel economy was much improved on trips where I set the cruise. Of course the hills in E. Tennessee will be an issue.


I get crappy fuel economy with my factory cruise control, and it lags a little more then I would expect it too, causing it to aggressively jump backup to the cruising speed...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.