Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   97 TJ-vibration & idle RPM's sticking..... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/97-tj-vibration-and-idle-rpms-sticking-52533.html)

JasonH 06-08-2010 12:14 PM

97 TJ-vibration & idle RPM's sticking.....

Hi guys,

I'm very much an amateur when it comes to vehicle repair/maintenance but I'm learning... :)
My 97 TJ with 113000 miles on it (I've only had it for the last 1000) was having an issue with power cutting WAY out and then occasionally completely dying. This was intermittent and typically only when cold. It's a 4 banger BTW. Through searching this forum I learned about the IAC and how to clean it (thanks guys!), but still had the problem. My next step was to replace all plugs, plug wires, rotor and cap. Was planning to do so any way. Well, that seems to have solved the problem (at least for the last couple of days and I've got my fingers crossed!).

Now two other little issues:

1- strange vibration from passenger side front only at certain rpm (therefore frequency??) and only when accelerating fairly hard...This vibration is audible inside the cab and seems to be more of a nuisance than anything else but...

2- today on the drive to work the rpm's seemed to be sticking in the 1500 range at times when I would press the clutch in....at other times it would return to a normal idle below 1000 rpm.

Any help from my Jeep brethren would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Indy 06-08-2010 01:10 PM

1 - Tires may need re-balancing or it could be your axle ujoint going bad. Check to see if there is any play there.

2 - Check for vacuum leaks. Remove the IAC module and clean it. Could be a bad TPS.

JasonH 06-08-2010 02:58 PM

Thanks for the response!

Regarding the IAC - I already took it off and cleaned it. Do they ever fail?

sevenservices 06-08-2010 03:14 PM

To eliminate your tires from the equasion, move 'em around and see if the vibration moves with the tires (front to back/back to front) If so, they could be chopped. (chopped = when the tires get an uneven wear pattern)

May be your front ball joints? The reason I mention that is I think "How could it vibrate more on take off?" Well, U joints in the drive shaft maybe... but that would be under you and not so much from the front right. I think ball joints because when you accelerate you take a lot of weight off the front end and it would allow a loose ball joint to flop. Then when the weight shifts back onto the front of the jeep it sets the balljoint down tight in its socket and it stops vibrating.

Have someone or yourself take a good look at everything in the front end. Jack it up so the tires can hang a bit without a lot of weight and try to shake every part or connector.

Check your wheel bearings by sitting next to the front tire, grab the wheel and try to turn it left to right, then push the top and pull the top back and forth. If the bearings are getting bad, you'll feel a bit of play in there. It would knock front to back when you push/pull if they are getting wore out to bad.