Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   Home Air Conditioner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/home-air-conditioner-52804.html)

sjlawr 06-12-2010 12:13 AM

Home Air Conditioner

Any home HVAC experts out there? My home unit has stopped cooling, just blows hot air. I consider myself to be handy, but I know nothing about home HVAC systems. Any suggestions? I have a tech. coming to the hosue on Tuesday, but I am not even familiar enough with the system to know what he will be talking about. Thanks.

PecosRiver 06-12-2010 12:29 AM

Turn it off overnight and try it again the next day. Mine does that when the coils freeze up from continuous running during hot weather.

Jerry Bransford 06-12-2010 12:51 PM

If it's not working after trying what PecosRiver suggests, it could be low on refrigerant. There is a pressure switch on the compressor system that won't let the compressor turn on unless there is sufficient refrigerant pressure inside the system. A simple refill (recharge) will sometimes fix it but if the pressure is low, that usually indicates a leak unless the compressor is just super-old.

Also, the electronics that control it often runs on 24 volts which is usually provided by a small cheap transformer that converts the 110 volt house voltage to 24 volts. One of my two a/c systems stopped working after that transformer failed. I found a replacement transformer locally for only $10-12. I'm no HVAC guy but these types of things are seldom real complex.

Good luck with it, I hope you have an honest HVAC guy coming to your house. :)

Ghosthiker 06-12-2010 01:53 PM

Is your system in a basement with a separate condensation pump? Mine just did that. Turned out it was the pump overfill switch. When the pump fills up and doesn't pump, the overfill switch shuts the compressor down, but the fan keeps running.

sjlawr 06-12-2010 11:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check it out over the next few days. I have work to do on the Jeep first.

drivebytruckerz 06-12-2010 11:53 PM

Make sure your drain tube isn't stopped up. I'm not an expert or anything.. and I may be way off..

sjlawr 06-17-2010 01:27 AM

Thanks for all of the inputs. Turned out to be a leaking condensation line and needed a charge of freon.

Ageless Stranger 06-17-2010 01:57 AM

Glad you're up and going again. Mine just went out last weekend and I had to put a new capacitor on it. No A/C sucks!!!!1!

s3nt3nc3d 06-17-2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ageless Stranger (Post 658221)
Glad you're up and going again. Mine just went out last weekend and I had to put a new capacitor on it. No A/C sucks!!!!1!

Yeah, it ain't like a Jeep...can't take the top off the house:flipoff:

Maddogmick 06-17-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d (Post 658328)
Yeah, it ain't like a Jeep...can't take the top off the house:flipoff:

Unless your having the roof replaced ;)

kukwe 06-21-2010 07:32 AM

I'm doing a through the wall AC installation with an older Admiral unit. My question is regarding the condensate drainage. This has a heavy steel tray, and I've looked in vain for a drain hole. There was almost an inch of wet guck in the tray when I got it. Are some AC's set up to just let the condensation drip into and evaporate in the tray?

Dare2BSquare 06-21-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjlawr (Post 653182)
Thanks for the suggestions, I will check it out over the next few days. I have work to do on the Jeep first.

lol. Yes, the jeep gets priority!!! Screw being comfortable!

s3nt3nc3d 06-21-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kukwe (Post 662514)
I'm doing a through the wall AC installation with an older Admiral unit. My question is regarding the condensate drainage. This has a heavy steel tray, and I've looked in vain for a drain hole. There was almost an inch of wet guck in the tray when I got it. Are some AC's set up to just let the condensation drip into and evaporate in the tray?

Can't recall for sure...you're supposed to route the drain from the unit to an actual drain, but it sounds like that one's designed to just have it drain and evaporate in the pan. If you can, I'd route it to an actual drain though. Just my opinion...I have no clue what code is for that stuff.

Jerry Bransford 06-21-2010 08:37 PM

I can't imagine the condensation, which can be considerable on some days, evaporating fast enough on a simple tray to not overflow and ruin whatever is beneath it. I'd definitely connect it to some kind of drain system. :)

Ageless Stranger 06-22-2010 03:46 AM

^^ I agree Jerry. It should definately have a drain.

kukwe 06-22-2010 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddogmick (Post 658348)
Unless your having the roof replaced ;)

hello Unless your having the Ac replaced.....
Arvell Moore| Air Conditioning Replacement

kukwe 09-17-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kukwe (Post 662514)

Furnace Replacement