Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Rpm drop, hesitates sputters (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/rpm-drop-hesitates-sputters-52898.html)

02VIPER ER 06-13-2010 02:26 PM

Rpm drop, hesitates sputters

I have a 92 2.5l manual transmission, while driving the rpm gauges will drop from 2500 all the way to zero and come back up again, the jeep seems to sputter a bit when this happenes, it happenes at random usually when I'm going at least 30, the sputtering stops when I push the clutch in,
not sure where to start
any help would be appreciated thanx

hannahuffster 06-13-2010 02:37 PM

Sputter? I would start with the fuel (filter, injection - clean the intake and throttle body)

flatline 06-14-2010 09:18 AM

I agree, start with fuel, and complete tune up. always start with the basics. are you showing a check engine light? have you checked the trouble codes.

02VIPER ER 06-16-2010 08:31 PM

No check engine light but i do have that "maintaince required light" on, however that came on long before this problem appeared, i 'm pretty sure that light just comes on so you'll schedule a maintaince at the shop

the jeep idles just fine and starts easy

scott howard 06-16-2010 10:40 PM

check all the above plus things like a bad battery connection or ground , loose dist. cap..... simple stuff first and then start checking stuff like fuel pump going bad ,ect

s_man692000 06-17-2010 08:31 AM

Also do not rule out the catalytic converter being clogged ,check the basic tune -up stuff first though.

02VIPER ER 09-28-2010 09:13 AM

Replaced The catalytic converter because it rusted apart. My jeep is still having issues, very speratic and intermittent though. It happened a couple times comin home from work yesturday and this morning it didnt do it at all.
The drive is about 20 minutes of highway.

I'm pretty sure its only happend while driving, never at start up or idle,
it starts up and idles just fine.

Thinkin it might be something electrial cuz when it bucks the RPM gause drops then comes back up again.

checked inside my distributer, looks good
checked the Camshaft position sensor plug conection and wires
checked the Crankshaft position sensor plug conection and wires
both conections are clean and no frayed wires

I have done some searches finding similar symptoms but nothing close to what I have described. I'm not sure what more troubleshooting to do besides just start replacing parts. I'm leaning towards replacing the crankshft sensor first
any imput?

Ibuildembig 09-28-2010 09:18 AM

How about cleaning the IAC?

the1sasquach 09-28-2010 09:19 AM

believe the 92 has the vacuum advance on the distributor id check for loose vacuum lines or holes

02VIPER ER 09-28-2010 09:28 AM

i guess i could take a look at that, however from what i read If theres an issue with the IAC it will affect idle
and my jeep idles just fine,
would a vacum line or air issue cause suck a drastic drop in my RPM gague as i described?

the1sasquach 09-28-2010 10:03 AM

it could cause it. it wouldn't effect idle it only kicks in at when your driving it advances the timing and firing of the engine