Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   09 Sahara: Ok to drive soft top "Safari Style"? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/09-sahara-ok-to-drive-soft-top-safari-style-52930.html)

Johnny Dollar 06-13-2010 11:03 PM

09 Sahara: Ok to drive soft top "Safari Style"?
 
Hey Folks,

A co-worker who has owned several Wranglers told me it damages the factory soft top (the sail panels) to drive around with the rear and side windows out - "safari style"...particularly at highway speeds. I've seen posts indicating that is true on some of the older models, is it also a problem on an '09 with the more rigid sail panels??

With this in mind, I bought a safari top. The safari top hasn't worked out at all - it flapped like crazy, and one of the rear straps (that is secured around the rear seatbelt) wore away to shreds after my first 80 mile trek down the highway. :mad:

Needless to say, I'm not too keen on buying another safari top. But I like shade from the top up and the open air with the windows out. Just hoping I can go safari style without damaging my factory top - any info on this? Any modifications that might allow this configuration to work without causing damage? :wavey:

drivebytruckerz 06-13-2010 11:08 PM

I roll mine up and use two bungee chords to keep the frame stable. You can kinda see this in some pics on my profile.

thaduke2003 06-13-2010 11:31 PM

Rock it with the windows off- no problems to be had :) If anything, the "more rigid sail panels" help keep the rest of the top from flapping as much as on older models- enjoy! Mark W.

JDsDream 06-14-2010 09:24 AM

I run mine that way everytime it rains. I don't carry my windows everywhere I go so sometimes it has to be done. The only time that the sail panel came loose was when I didn't have it tucked into the channel correctly and I was running at about 80mph. I just pulled over, popped it back in and was on my way. So go for it.

medic2936 06-14-2010 12:45 PM

I've got a 2010 Sahara and I run without my windows zipped in all the time. I never have any problems. I thought I might in the begining so I purchased a Bikini Top and now never use it. If your worried about it a Bikini Top might by just what the doctor ordered.

Geoff@Bestop 06-14-2010 02:06 PM

You can drive around with side panels and rear window removed. It's not a problem. As you noticed, the corner panels are now reinforced, and will stay in place.

Store your window panels nicely.

Scooter_Trash 06-14-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medic2936 (Post 654687)
If your worried about it a Bikini Top might by just what the doctor ordered.


Great...another medic that thinks he's a doctor. :rolleyes:

Johnny Dollar 06-14-2010 02:46 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone! As usual, this forum has provided good feedback! So glad that my favorite configuration is just fine.

medic2936 06-14-2010 03:26 PM

Naw I just stay at a Holiday Inn Express

Formula292 06-15-2010 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 654752)
You can drive around with side panels and rear window removed. It's not a problem. As you noticed, the corner panels are now reinforced, and will stay in place.

Store your window panels nicely.


It is a big problem on my 09. If I run down the highway, the driver side comes undone. Morons at the dealer told me it was normal and wait for it to get hot for the top to tighten up! Seriously, he told me that!!! My soft top fits like dog crap at the rear sail panel area!!

daggo66 06-15-2010 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formula292 (Post 655653)
It is a big problem on my 09. If I run down the highway, the driver side comes undone. Morons at the dealer told me it was normal and wait for it to get hot for the top to tighten up! Seriously, he told me that!!! My soft top fits like dog crap at the rear sail panel area!!

It's actually just the opposite. It loosens up in the hot weather.

thaduke2003 06-15-2010 09:10 AM

^ Yep. But think about it- that's about a $800-1000 part to replace under warranty- would you replace it just because one function (not a OEM-specified one, at that) doesn't work? Not lightly- Mark W.

Blackbeard1718 06-15-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drivebytruckerz (Post 654287)
I roll mine up and use two bungee chords to keep the frame stable. You can kinda see this in some pics on my profile.

DBT!

The TJ's Sail Panels will roll up, like you have yours. Looks good too! Unfortunately, the JK's won't do that, because they have Metal Stiffners in them to keep them rigid. JK's have to Hook-'Em to the Tub. I'd prefer to roll 'em!


Johnny!

Some JK'ers, use Velcro Straps around the Sail Panels and Rear Roll Bar near the Seat Belts, to keep the Sail Panels in place. Might try that! Just keep an eye out for Wear-&-Tear on the Sail Panels, if you plan on driving at Hwy Speeds often.

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

Johnny Dollar 06-15-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbeard1718 (Post 655786)
DBT!

The TJ's Sail Panels will roll up, like you have yours. Looks good too! Unfortunately, the JK's won't do that, because they have Metal Stiffners in them to keep them rigid. JK's have to Hook-'Em to the Tub. I'd prefer to roll 'em!


Johnny!

Some JK'ers, use Velcro Straps around the Sail Panels and Rear Roll Bar near the Seat Belts, to keep the Sail Panels in place. Might try that! Just keep an eye out for Wear-&-Tear on the Sail Panels, if you plan on driving at Hwy Speeds often.

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

Thanks, BB. I am going to keep an eye on it. Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to experiment with some velcro on the sail panels to keep things in check.

Formula292 06-15-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 655657)
It's actually just the opposite. It loosens up in the hot weather.


I know, Hence my sarcasm to what the service writer told me...;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 PM.