Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   WF Site Help & Support (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f2/)
-   -   Site Advertising! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f2/site-advertising-53204.html)

Jp90Talon 06-16-2010 08:44 PM

Site Advertising!
 
Ok Ive been seeing this banner ad pop up the past week and I just had to say something. How the hell is a website named Africanbeauties.com anywhere close to being Jeep related? :banghead:

Rubigirl 06-16-2010 08:54 PM

HAHA - I saw that too - Thought it must have been a glich..BUT - Maybe they are trying to tell you that you should have a Africanbeauty in your Jeep ....Things that make you go Hmmmmm...lol

JDsDream 06-16-2010 09:03 PM

More like ..... Things that make ya go huh?

Ageless Stranger 06-16-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDsDream (Post 657871)
More like ..... Things that make ya go huh?

Yeah. That's about what I said.

PecosRiver 06-16-2010 09:36 PM

I’m finding the ads are targeted to my browsing lately. Had a period when I needed to deal with network solutions and all of a sudden N.S. ads start showing on this site. I shop at Cabelas and when I am on their site spending money I start getting Cabelas ads popping up. I was researching a Buick for a friend of my mother and soon after I started seeing Buick ads.

Now is this African Beauty ad you’re seeing starting to make sense? I find this type of targeting intrusive, but not enough to leave the site.

chucky cheese 06-16-2010 09:41 PM

It takes money to run this site so anything is game. I'm curious as to why Ford runs ads on the wf. Is it they have so much money that they just saturate everything?

Jp90Talon 06-16-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PecosRiver (Post 657925)
I’m finding the ads are targeted to my browsing lately. Now is this African Beauty ad you’re seeing starting to make sense? I find this type of targeting intrusive, but not enough to leave the site.

Well to answer your question 99% of the time I am on the board I am on my work laptop and the other 1% of the time I am on my personal laptop that I pretty much only use for netflix. All I do the work laptop is do charting for the patients I saw during the day and surf Jeep forums. I can honestly say I havent searched for anything that would even come close to telling the Ad mastermind computer that I would be even the least bit interested in finding myself an African beauty. Sorry :rolleyes:

Ageless Stranger 06-16-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp90Talon (Post 657940)
Well to answer your question 99% of the time I am on the board I am on my work laptop and the other 1% of the time I am on my personal laptop that I pretty much only use for netflix. All I do the work laptop is do charting for the patients I saw during the day and surf Jeep forums. I can honestly say I havent searched for anything that would even come close to telling the Ad mastermind computer that I would be even the least bit interested in finding myself an African beauty. Sorry :rolleyes:

x2

Geoff@Bestop 06-16-2010 11:08 PM

Those are Google ads. Wrangler Forum gets a few cents each time some one clicks on the ads. So click away and discover African beaties! You're helping your favorite site. (they signed an agreement saying they wouldn't ask people to click. But I can tell you!).

Google ads are displayed based on keywords of the site (so obviously we get the 4x4 and the car ads). They are also based on cookie trails the USER may have left around the web. And, the person who buys the ad can ask for the ad to run on a specific site - so etrailer might be requesting that Google try to show ads on this site.

They can also be shown geographically. So if eTrailer is only one the west coast, they can have their ads show up only for those states. (etrailer is a national web site with some cool stuff. Click their ad and make EVERYONE happy. They want their ads to work).

It's an amazingly good system, but it's not perfect.

Worse than the totally weird ones are the ones that show up inappropriately. Say an airline ad next to a news article about a plane crash.

CMEvans79 06-16-2010 11:11 PM

I have google adsense blocked on mine and dont get alot of adds

Geoff@Bestop 06-16-2010 11:11 PM

Let me say this more emphatically:

The people who buy ads on Google, and that are run on this site measure their results. They WANT you to click on the ads, and are happy to pay 50 cents or whatever, when you do.

If you click on WF banner ads, not only does WF get a little money, but the advertiser says "we should buy more on that site." It's a win/win. And it costs you nothing.

Plus there are some good companies advertising here. ETrailers, JPFreek (did they change their name?) -- good guys.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 AM.