Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Help... Can't get my doors off!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/help-cant-get-my-doors-off-53366.html)

corkster53 06-19-2010 01:15 PM

Help... Can't get my doors off!!

2009 Wrangler Unlimited. Our first Jeep. It's great outside and we want to take the doors off.

Disconnected electric connectors, disconnected the nylon retaining strap, Removed Torq Nuts on bottom of hinge. Instructions say open the door and pick it up off the hinge.

I open the door and pick up -- the entire Jeep raises and lowers on it's springs but the door hinge shows zero sign of separating -- what am I doing wrong???

Geoff@Bestop 06-19-2010 01:42 PM

Nothing. It's just tight. Trying "wiggling" the door a bit, and try lifting when almost shut, all the way open and in between. Once it starts to separate, I think it's easiest to lift off when door is about a foot open. Roll down your windows first - makes it a LOT easier to grab hold of.

G54 06-19-2010 01:49 PM

And if they still won't budge, try a 4x4 and a jack. Put a rag on top of the 4x4 and put it on end on the jack. Jack it up until it touches the bottom of the door nearest the hinges, then jack up slowly until it breaks loose. Lift off door. Grease inside of hinges and from then on it will go on and off very easily.

wasurfer86 06-19-2010 06:25 PM

like geoff said try opening the doors and lifting up on them. my driver door slides right off but the passenger door will only come off when its opened 3/4 of the way.

Pontiackid87 06-19-2010 06:40 PM

Electrical connectors? TJ's dont have any of them....

wasurfer86 06-19-2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontiackid87 (Post 661034)

he said its an 09

Pontiackid87 06-19-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasurfer86 (Post 661040)
he said its an 09

Lol i know that. its a JK.

wasurfer86 06-19-2010 06:51 PM

yeah i realized that after i posted:doh:

TurkA77 06-19-2010 10:54 PM

I took mine off recently. I bought a used 06 and they have never been off. The best method I found is once I got the screws off, I sat inside, but not on the seat, but on the floor kinda and used my right knee to lift the door straight up while I hold it with both hands. Both doors came right up first shot.

AzTJ 06-19-2010 10:56 PM

Moved to proper section. :wavey:

Geoff@Bestop 06-19-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontiackid87 (Post 661034)

I have a 1960 CJ. Doors were only available aftermarket. And now, a mere 50 years later, Wranglers have power windows and something called "door locks."

Curse this unstopping technical advancement!

daggo66 06-20-2010 06:20 AM

Open the window, facing the front of the vehicle, stand next to the door, reach through and grab the arm rest. Open the door to a 45 degree angle and lift.

G-Pur 06-20-2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 661330)
I have a 1960 CJ. Doors were only available aftermarket. And now, a mere 50 years later, Wranglers have power windows and something called "door locks."

:rofl:
Please don't tell him to get off your lawn.

jk'n 06-20-2010 10:17 AM

You haven't owned the jeep long enough yet. Every time you pull off of the stop line next to a muscle car you'll get your doors blown off! :p

I've heard of the reaching through the door method but the sitting in the jeep on the floor method sounds pretty good for the difficult door. Thanks for that tidbit. :)

N39-W120 06-20-2010 10:20 AM

AND... Go down to the auto parts and get a can of lithum spray grease... shoot the holes before putting the doors back on... helps in getting them off again.... it has worked well for me.

N39-W120 06-20-2010 10:23 AM

A bid difference from my '87 with the half doors and zippered plactic windows....

http://www.jeep.com/shared/2009/wran...cks_WRA_09.jpg
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 661330)

jk'n 06-20-2010 11:23 AM

@ corkster53

BTW, just went back and looked at your post above. Shows post count = 1.

Welcome to the WF. :wavey:

As you can see by the posts above, there are a lot of friendly people around here with a lot of information. :)

Yes, and some jokers too (myself included) :D

This forum has been a great place to hang out and learn a lot about my jeep. In 2007 when I took delivery of my first ever jeep, I was clueless. The Wrangler Forum has really educated me about some of the minutia details of owning a jeep. Getting out on the trail with other jeepers is a big learning experience too. :punk:

Hope you are out having fun in your new jeep. :cool:

Geoff@Bestop 06-20-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N39-W120 (Post 661553)
A bid difference from my '87 with the half doors and zippered plactic windows....

http://www.jeep.com/shared/2009/wran...cks_WRA_09.jpg

I had never even been in a JK until about a week into my new job here. I was driving one of the company rigs down the freeway and trying to figure out how to roll up the windows. My co-worker finally pointed out the switches. Imagine that. Electric windows on a Jeep. And, being a Jeep, the buttons in a silly place with no labels.

corkster53: as Jk'n says, welcome! Come on back. We can help with anything. Workplace injuries to lift suggestions. We're here. We may get just a bit off topic from time to time.

jk'n 06-20-2010 12:05 PM

@Geoff

I think the only reason I wasn't confused by the configuration pictured is because I had previous experience in my wife's PT Cruiser. Window controls in the exact same place. My Caravan had the controls where they normally are...on the door. It took me a long time to break the habit of looking for them on the door. After 3 years I think I am almost completely adjusted. I now respond almost instinctively to the center of the dash instead of the door. But now I'm confounded when I am in a standard vehicle configuration in other people's vehicles.

Really throw a monkey wrench at me by putting crank handles on a door! :doh:

jk'n 06-20-2010 12:09 PM

I think I may have made a great Pavlovian dog....perhaps in a former life. :banghead:

Or maybe aspiring for my future life :confused:

castorj29 06-20-2010 08:01 PM

First time taking off the doors are the pits. After that,you should have no or little problems getting them off. Dont forget to unscrew the the heck screws under the hinges.

Scooter_Trash 06-23-2010 01:05 PM

Try shooting some WD40 between the hinges and up from the bottom (where the torx nut was). Let it sit for a couple of minutes and swing the door open and closed a few times. As you lift and the hinges separate, hit it with a little more WD40.

steam 06-23-2010 02:01 PM

I would not use a jack; it could ruin the edge of the door and worst crumple the panel.

Mine were stiff... I used a shot of WD40 in the evening and in the morning just gently opened and partially closed the door while lifting up wards; they came off in a few minutes. Any penetrating oil will do the job. When you put them back on use a high quality synthetic lube to keep them loose while not eating the paint finish.

Jetskifreak82 08-16-2010 08:46 AM

I just bought my JK unlimited this week, and looked at the rear doors, I can't figure out where the disconnects are for the power windows... I get my harley mirrors in the mail in 4 days and want to have to doors off as soon as I get them!

mistert 08-16-2010 08:54 AM

WD-40 or any type of penetrating oil..let it sit for a couple minutes...spray it again and swing the door a little. The jack will work but, like some of the other guy's said, BE REAL CAREFUL it's easy to bend some metal then you'll really be pissed!

aelwero 08-16-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetskifreak82 (Post 726632)
I just bought my JK unlimited this week, and looked at the rear doors, I can't figure out where the disconnects are for the power windows... I get my harley mirrors in the mail in 4 days and want to have to doors off as soon as I get them!

look on the inside of the pillar right next to the lower door hinge and you'll see a square panel that pops out to allow access to the plug/limiter strap.

aelwero 08-16-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop (Post 661623)
I had never even been in a JK until about a week into my new job here. I was driving one of the company rigs down the freeway and trying to figure out how to roll up the windows. My co-worker finally pointed out the switches. Imagine that. Electric windows on a Jeep. And, being a Jeep, the buttons in a silly place with no labels.

corkster53: as Jk'n says, welcome! Come on back. We can help with anything. Workplace injuries to lift suggestions. We're here. We may get just a bit off topic from time to time.

I was wondering why they would put the window controls there... My wife's input was that they put them in the middle so that once you took the doors off you'd still have controls to operate the windows... took her a few minutes to figure out why I was laughing so hard :)

Yesterday, I put only my two back doors on because we had all the kids back there, and suddenly her comment actually made sense ;)

Jetskifreak82 08-16-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelwero

look on the inside of the pillar right next to the lower door hinge and you'll see a square panel that pops out to allow access to the plug/limiter strap.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if that panel popped off easily, I don't want to break anything the first week I own the thing! Although, it sound like I'm not treating it right if I don't break anything from what most posters say on here ;)

Gate53 08-16-2010 12:16 PM

When I got my 2000 TJ the 1/2 doors had never been off. Shot the hindges twice a day for two days with PB Blaster. The third day I took a large pair of Channel Locks and used the rubber coated handles as a pry bay near the hindge side. With a little in and out of the door they slid right off. Lubed the pins and rings with white lithium grease when I put them back on and they slide right off anytime I want now.

mhaines 08-16-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corkster53
2009 Wrangler Unlimited. Our first Jeep. It's great outside and we want to take the doors off.

Disconnected electric connectors, disconnected the nylon retaining strap, Removed Torq Nuts on bottom of hinge. Instructions say open the door and pick it up off the hinge.

I open the door and pick up -- the entire Jeep raises and lowers on it's springs but the door hinge shows zero sign of separating -- what am I doing wrong???

The factory pins are a pain! I ended up getting new pins, driving out the old ones, haven't had a problem since.