Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   2000 TJ code scanner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/2000-tj-code-scanner-539.html)

Mike7004 10-07-2005 09:18 PM

2000 TJ code scanner

What kind of code scanner is needed for the 2000 TJ? The manual calls for a DRB III scan tool which OReilley's only has an ODB 2. My check engine light came on today for the first time. They told me to check my gas cap and it was tight.
Help
Mike

khenderson 10-07-2005 11:53 PM

you can go to auto zone and they'll scan it for you. that's what i always do. :D

andy_n 10-08-2005 12:26 AM

What about using the built in codes? I use to always take mine to my mechanic, but the darn thing would always come on in a comp or something. So I need to reset the computer so that it has a chance to reprogram itself and run better. But then you lose the code, so now I use the built in and check when I get home. If it is something simple I fix, if I am not to sure then I run the code past him.

Mike7004 10-08-2005 08:20 AM

scanner??

Is there a way to check for codes without the scanner?

khenderson 10-08-2005 10:59 AM

in some jeeps, yes. here's a link: Code Help

that's got all the codes and how to get them without a scanner. i don't think it works on ALL years of TJ's, but it's worth a shot.

Tail Chaser 10-09-2005 10:00 AM

Change the gas cap it may not be venting properly

jeepmutt 10-09-2005 05:59 PM

For what it's worth, my light started coming on intermittently last month in my '97 6 cyl. I checked to be sure the header bolts were tight, gas cap, etc. Started buying a different brand of gas. Still the light came on intermittently. I cleaned and oiled the K&N air filter, put in a new cap and rotor, and installed Bosch plat plugs, wires and oxygen sensor. My local Jeep dealer is useless, so I didn't go have the system reset for the new oxygen sensor as recommended. The engine light has not come on since I did the "tune-up" and I have been getting 19+ (peak 19.9) mpg on the highway or fast 2 lane roads, and my worst has been a flat 14 mpg in just over 200 miles with a split of town, 2 lane highway and over 60 miles of low range crawling on 4 wheeler and skidder trails (looking for partridge, not heavy off-roading).

mud707 10-10-2005 05:03 PM

onboard scanner

ok. my engine light on my 01 tj came on this weekend also and i read the thread and went to the link that was listed earlier and followed the directions. the problem is no code came up that i could see. it scrolled 8 8 8 acrossthe odometer then sof 2.0 then 0000000 and began the gauge check. I waited till the end but all i got was the miles i went on my tank of gas so far. did I miss where the codes pop up? It's still under warranty but i wanted to make sure if I have a problem that it'll be covered by it. I'm not particulary fond of the dealership i bought it at, but love my jeep.