Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   1992 YJ Frame Rot - WHAT TO DO?!?!? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/1992-yj-frame-rot-what-to-do-5391.html)

1992wranglersahara 01-20-2007 07:40 PM

1992 YJ Frame Rot - WHAT TO DO?!?!?
 
Hey all - I have a 92 YJ that is in very good shape, as noted by three different bodyshops. It's only major flaw - FRAME ROT! I have lost the upper, rear shock brackets and the front catalytic convertor bracket (all attached to the frame) to rust/rot. I have rot in the front of the frame and the drivers-side sway bar has cracked the frame where it is attached. I am faced with this: WHAT TO DO? I love the vehicle and have found a used frame nearby my home for $500. I have NEVER done a frame-up restoration, but I have been working on cars all my life - tune-ups, brake-jobs, body work, etc. I seriously do not know if changing out an entire Jeep from one frame to another is something I can pull off in my garage. Furthermore, I am not sure where to go to get the necessary schematics to make sure I put it all back together correctly. I paid $5000 for the vehicle 3 months ago. If I sell it as is, I doubt I could get much for it - even though the body, interior, etc. are all in very good shape. It's like the frame wasn't coated at the factory or something...
Any input would be much appreciated -

1992wranglersahara 01-20-2007 07:57 PM

Thanks anybody -

skeeter 01-20-2007 08:19 PM

Man I'm glad they stopped using salt out here in the west.
If the frame is rusting away the only thing you can do is replace it or patch it.
If you just bought it three months ago, can you take action against the seller?
It looks like a nice Jeep and would probably make a good project, whatever you do good luck.

Angler1979 01-20-2007 08:42 PM

just tear it apart and replace the frame once you get apart you will know how it goes back together, and if you bought it 3 months ago and it has frame rot then it had it when you looked at it, so shame on you. for not inspecting the whole jeep before buying it.

amerijeep 01-20-2007 09:00 PM

Replace that frame. I bet it won't be that bad to do. Save that YJ!

binaryking 01-21-2007 12:44 AM

Replace the frame! Any other move and you lose too much, at least this way you have a Jeep that was completely done to your standards. Good or bad. :D

At least this way, you'll know every inch of it when you're done.

Angler1979 01-21-2007 06:43 AM

You might as well invest in a sawzall and a torch because if it has frame rot every damn bolt on the undercarriage is going to fight you and try to snap and round,
Silly northerners don't you know salt is for Margarita's not roads?:flipoff:

Odd is he 01-21-2007 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angler1979 (Post 47520)
You might as well invest in a sawzall and a torch because if it has frame rot every damn bolt on the undercarriage is going to fight you and try to snap and round,
Silly northerners don't you know salt is for Margarita's not roads?:flipoff:


Yeah, up here in the north sucks, I'm gonna have to under coat my jeep soon.

skeeter 01-21-2007 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angler1979 (Post 47520)
You might as well invest in a sawzall and a torch because if it has frame rot every damn bolt on the undercarriage is going to fight you and try to snap and round,
Silly northerners don't you know salt is for Margarita's not roads?:flipoff:

Hey now, that's northeasterners, out here in the northwest we know exactly what it's for, got a tub of it out in the kitchen just for that http://shopuncleharrys.dukestores.du...ixer%20043.jpg
;)

activelydying 01-21-2007 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odd is he (Post 47522)
Yeah, up here in the north sucks, I'm gonna have to under coat my jeep soon.


what would you use to undercoat the jeep?

Odd is he 01-21-2007 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by activelydying (Post 47532)
what would you use to undercoat the jeep?

An undercoating rubber/paint thing solution to keep the weather out.

rebelBullDawg325 01-21-2007 12:34 PM

we use salt to attract the deer down here in the south. o, and to put on our grits

amerijeep 01-21-2007 01:35 PM

Nothin' like baitin' wildlife instead of doin' any real huntin'.

whiteyj 01-21-2007 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter (Post 47526)
Hey now, that's northeasterners, out here in the northwest we know exactly what it's for, got a tub of it out in the kitchen just for that http://shopuncleharrys.dukestores.du...ixer%20043.jpg
;)


Now that's the right use for salt!

Dare2BSquare 01-21-2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerijeep (Post 47575)
Nothin' like baitin' wildlife instead of doin' any real huntin'.

Does this mean I have to dive in after the fish, too? Or do I need to start noodlin' for catfish?
:eek: :eek: :eek:

amerijeep 01-21-2007 05:52 PM

What does fishin' have to do with huntin'? I know yall like to hunt, but if you think baitin' a deer is huntin', then there is nothin' I can say to help you.

Dare2BSquare 01-21-2007 06:15 PM

I know how you feel about this, I was just tryin' to get a rise out of you. It worked.

See your sig... ;) It applies to me.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

1992wranglersahara 01-21-2007 06:47 PM

I agree, Angler1979 - I am more than upset at myself for not looking close enough at the Jeep to see obvious frame rot. My mistake - it won't happen again.
Yes, the North has too much salt - but many of us have been asking for sand only FOR YEARS - - -NO ONE CARES TO LISTEN!

amerijeep 01-21-2007 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dare2BSquare (Post 47642)
I know how you feel about this, I was just tryin' to get a rise out of you. It worked.

See your sig... ;) It applies to me.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

I know it, bro. I always enjoy the debate with you. I will admit to you, my friend, that I have done quite a bit of research since we last talked about it and I now have a very good understanding of the consequences of overpopuation.

I honestly believe that they need to lengthen the hunting season in my area now. I still am of the same opinion, but there is no other simple solution.

Missouri Bound 07-04-2011 09:51 PM

If you can't do the work, sell the Jeep. Unless it's absolutely perfect, it will cost you $3k + to get a frame and have someone do it. I've got the same problem with my 89, I have no room or time to make the swap so it just has to go.

Barrie 07-04-2011 09:57 PM

WOW! Zombie thread. :rofl:

nzpete 07-05-2011 08:45 PM

Buy the frame and try to rebuild. What can you lose, really?
You're not going to get anything for a rust heap, and folks that would be interested in buying your Jeep are going to look for rust. Who doesn't when buying a vehicle in the north? Heck, I look for rust when looking at buying a vehicle and I live in the South.
Now, if you tear it apart and you can't figure out how to put it back together, you can always part out the Jeep and probably double what you paid for it to begin with.
So, try, you're really about as bad off as you can possibly be.

s_man692000 07-06-2011 09:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1992wranglersahara (Post 47361)
Hey all - I have a 92 YJ that is in very good shape, as noted by three different bodyshops. It's only major flaw - FRAME ROT! I have lost the upper, rear shock brackets and the front catalytic convertor bracket (all attached to the frame) to rust/rot. I have rot in the front of the frame and the drivers-side sway bar has cracked the frame where it is attached. I am faced with this: WHAT TO DO? I love the vehicle and have found a used frame nearby my home for $500. I have NEVER done a frame-up restoration, but I have been working on cars all my life - tune-ups, brake-jobs, body work, etc. I seriously do not know if changing out an entire Jeep from one frame to another is something I can pull off in my garage. Furthermore, I am not sure where to go to get the necessary schematics to make sure I put it all back together correctly. I paid $5000 for the vehicle 3 months ago. If I sell it as is, I doubt I could get much for it - even though the body, interior, etc. are all in very good shape. It's like the frame wasn't coated at the factory or something...
Any input would be much appreciated -

I did one in a small garage ,my first time doing anything so vast ,it was my friends CJ starting with a bare frame and a pile of parts ,here is the finished product .
Attachment 56765


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 AM.