Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   How Do You Take The Factory Radio Out? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/how-do-you-take-the-factory-radio-out-54134.html)

SaharaCon 06-29-2010 02:30 AM

How Do You Take The Factory Radio Out?

I have a few wires i would like to run behind the stereo and more or less center council..
anyway, where do i start to take apart the dash? where are the clips or screws to start? i know my way around audio systems quite well, just not the jeep dash yet....

Hendy 06-29-2010 05:39 AM

Pop the defroster vent off the top of the dash, it just prys off. Under that you will see two screws just in front of the change holder, take those out. Then you will need to remove the ashtray, there is a bolt back there to take out. Once those are out you should be able to pry the dashboard center console out, easy day!!!

If you plan on removing the radio you are going to have to go in through the glove compartment to remove the bracket on the back of the radio. It is a small space to work in but it is the only way to get at it, just take the whole glove compartment door off, it will make it a little bit easier.

Kate 06-29-2010 05:51 AM

When you go to take the defroster vent out BE CAREFUL!! It has tiny little pieces of plastic that can break easily.

Place your fingers between the windshield frame and the vent and pop it from that side by lifting briskly. Then work your way across the interior edge. It's held in by

Also, after removing the screws on the top of the center trim panel it is also held in with friction clips. The first time you take it out can be a little nerve wracking because of the fear of breaking it.
Take hold of the sides and give it a quick yank and it should pop out. Before reinstalling it, check to be certain that all of the clips are attached to the bezel and that none stayed in the dash. If they are still in the dash, pull them and place them back on the tabs of the bezel. Trying to align the tabs with clips in the bezel can make you want to pull your hair out.

thaduke2003 06-29-2010 08:18 AM

By the way, you'll need a 7mm socket to get the 4 screws out- enjoy! :) Mark W.

Kate 06-29-2010 09:28 AM

Hmm.. that's funny. Mine will go either socket, or phillips screwdriver.

thaduke2003 06-29-2010 12:55 PM

^Why do I get all the hard ones? :) Mine are just bolts- '09- hmm... Mark W.

drivebytruckerz 06-29-2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaduke2003 (Post 671980)
^Why do I get all the hard ones? :) Mine are just bolts- '09- hmm... Mark W.

That's what she said...

JIMBOX 06-29-2010 01:12 PM

:rolleyes: Just park it in front, on a Saturday night and leave the doors open !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaharaCon (Post 671639)
I have a few wires i would like to run behind the stereo and more or less center council..
anyway, where do i start to take apart the dash? where are the clips or screws to start? i know my way around audio systems quite well, just not the jeep dash yet....

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

SaharaCon 06-29-2010 01:41 PM

Lol, nice jimbo... Thanks a lot guys, that was truley helpful... Im going to knock this project out later...