Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Buying an "R" Title Wrangler? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/buying-an-r-title-wrangler-54304.html)

jcurcio 07-01-2010 08:26 AM

Buying an "R" Title Wrangler?

I am searching for a Wrangler to purchase around the 5k mark. I have come across many R titles, and as you would expect, you get a lot more Jeep for your money buying an R title. Most people will recommend against buying an R title in general, but what do you guys think about buying a Wrangler R title. There are just so many of them out there, that some of them are getting tempting. Especially since I am not having much other luck.

Thanks!

4Jeepn 07-01-2010 08:35 AM

Depends what the damage was and how well it was fixed. Price should be next to nothing. I thought about it myself, but found a good deal on a clean title yj.

s3nt3nc3d 07-01-2010 08:36 AM

What is an R title? Salvage title?

If yes, I think if you don't intend to resell it...it's fine...but if you don't think you'll hang onto it, you gotta remember that their value is severely decreased because of that so you gotta be careful with how much you pay. Other than that...if it runs and drives great, why not?

cavediverjc 07-01-2010 09:28 AM

I'd say if you're looking to build a buggy or a trail-only beast of a Jeep, then a salvage Jeep would be the way to go. Keep the clean titled Jeeps on the road. :D

Tarby 07-01-2010 07:19 PM

My 1995 Rio Grande is R-titled. I bought it wrecked and rebuilt it myself. Cleaner than most TJ's because it was wrecked down south. The only reason my YJ was put to salvage was because of it's age when it was wrecked (front axle damage, hood, and 1 fender. Frame needed straightened, but not bad-all back to factory). I don't think the classification of R-title should worry you. At least in PA, to re-register from salvage to R-title, you have to go through alot of crap. In some cases, I think an R-title in PA is safer than an older regular titled vehicle that could have some issues for never being looked at as crucially as a R-vehicle, just my opinion. If you are worried about condition of an R-title vehicle, take it to a mechanic before you buy. The only problem is if you want to trade it in-dealers don't want them. I have had alot of offers on my YJ, and no one cares about the title. The last was $6000...I won't sell it because I found what I wanted to build in the condition I wanted, besides, my wife said she didn't want to hear me complain about getting rid of it. Took me 3 years to find the exact YJ I wanted to have in excellent condition for repair.

cavediverjc 07-02-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarby (Post 674708)
My 1995 Rio Grande is R-titled. I bought it wrecked and rebuilt it myself. Cleaner than most TJ's because it was wrecked down south. The only reason my YJ was put to salvage was because of it's age when it was wrecked (front axle damage, hood, and 1 fender. Frame needed straightened, but not bad-all back to factory). I don't think the classification of R-title should worry you. At least in PA, to re-register from salvage to R-title, you have to go through alot of crap. In some cases, I think an R-title in PA is safer than an older regular titled vehicle that could have some issues for never being looked at as crucially as a R-vehicle, just my opinion. If you are worried about condition of an R-title vehicle, take it to a mechanic before you buy. The only problem is if you want to trade it in-dealers don't want them. I have had alot of offers on my YJ, and no one cares about the title. The last was $6000...I won't sell it because I found what I wanted to build in the condition I wanted, besides, my wife said she didn't want to hear me complain about getting rid of it. Took me 3 years to find the exact YJ I wanted to have in excellent condition for repair.

I agree with you for the most part. If you're not planning on selling your Jeep, then it really doesn't matter what the title says, as long as it's road-worthy and safe. Now, the problem comes when it's time to sell. As you've stated, dealers don't want them, so your buyer's market is limited to private buyers. Not a big deal if they have CASH IN HAND. However, no bank out there is going to do a full personal loan on an R-title or salvage-title Jeep unless it's fully covered with collateral security. Especially now since the microscope is on all the banks watching how and for what they're loaning money.

turdhurdler 07-02-2010 03:15 PM

Not sure if this goes for most states or not, but my insurance carrier will not insure a vehicle with a slavage title. I have Mercury Ins in CA.

Jeff

nick50471 07-02-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turdhurdler (Post 675533)
Not sure if this goes for most states or not, but my insurance carrier will not insure a vehicle with a slavage title. I have Mercury Ins in CA.

Jeff

That seems strange. Salvaged vehicles in Iowa must be safety inspected before they can be titled.

I bought my 97 Sport salvaged and not titled. I fixed it up and had it inspected and is titled. It is in much better shape than most 97's. I would not sell it for less just because it has a R title.

this is the link to the work I did on my TJ.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/tj-o...oad-50420.html

jcurcio 07-07-2010 09:05 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. Still searching.

rogertc1 07-07-2010 09:26 PM

Iowa is good cause no yearly smog inspections or City stickers. Just not any Jeep trails.