Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Locker? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/locker-54389.html)

fred9981 07-02-2010 09:03 AM

Locker?

Im going to do my gears 4.88. and im thinking of throwing in some lockers. but i need some help. I have a 4in lift and running 31in tires. its a 2.5L 5sp. My girl and i have the same set up but i just got her 4.88 for her jeep. she loves it. I want to do the same but since im having them open for the gears i dont want to pay for labor twice.

My jeep is my daily driver. i do a lot of street and freeway driving. I go to glamis dunes about 4 times a year. i do a little trail riding. nothing to crazy.

I dont know what i should get. I don't want any thing expensive.

whats the difference between a Aussie Locker and a Detroit locker

4Jeepn 07-02-2010 09:13 AM

The 4.88's and a locker will make the dana 35 go boom.. upgrade to a super 35 kit and it will be far better, OR upgrade the complete axle.

part 2: aussie replaces the spider gears only.. detroit replaces the complete carrier and is stronger.

LilBlueTank 07-02-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Jeepn (Post 675179)
upgrade to a super 35 kit and it will be far better.

what exactly is a super 35 kit?

Jerry Bransford 07-02-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilBlueTank (Post 675453)
what exactly is a super 35 kit?

Imitators aside who sell lower quality/weaker kits also called Super 35 kits, the true Super 35 kit is made only by Superior Axle. Superior Axle neglected to copyright their Super 35 name so others have stolen it for use with their imitator kits.

Superior Axle's Super 35 kit beefs the rear Dana 35c axle up to nearly the strength of a Dana 44 which is more than strong enough for a locker. It replaces the weak OE 27 spline axle shafts with hardened alloy 30 spline axle shafts (a bigger diameter) and replaces the differential's carrier (the part that holds the gears) with a full case locker like a Detroit Locker, ARB Air Locker, with one or two others I wouldn't recommend. A Dana 35c with a Superior Axle brand Super 35 kit installed actually has slightly stronger axle shafts than a Dana 44 axle has. The Dana 35c's ring & pinion gears (which do not get replaced with a Super 35) are still not going to be as strong as those in a Dana 44 but it is the Dana 35c's axle shafts that are the most breakage prone.

While not cheap, Superior Axle's Super 35 kit is a very good way to upgrade a Dana 35c axle to make it very worthy of 35" tires and a locker.

You can always add a locker to the front Dana 30 first if the cost of a Super 35 kit is out of reach for now. The front Dana 30 can handle a locker without much issue (especially with 33" or smaller tires) with recommended lockers including the No-Slip, Aussie, and Lockright. Where a Wrangler TJ is concerned, contrary to the generic warnings against installing a front locker without also installing manual unlocking front hubs, a front locker does not (!) cause any steering or handling issues when a TJ is in 2wd.

lancetkenyon 07-02-2010 02:46 PM

Lock and gear the front, leave the rear to gearing alone until you can afford a D44 or 8.8. I would suggest a Spartan or Lockright before the Aussie locker though. Far more available both parts and service wise if you ever need it.

RockDawg 07-07-2010 10:52 AM

LockRight served me well in a D35C...was installed by a reputable shop..handles corners quite well

Jerry Bransford 07-07-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockDawg (Post 679728)
LockRight served me well in a D35C...was installed by a reputable shop..handles corners quite well

If that's a stock D35c, it's not a matter of if but when you're going to snap an axle shaft.

530ktm 07-07-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 675478)
Imitators aside who sell lower quality/weaker kits also called Super 35 kits, the true Super 35 kit is made only by Superior Axle. Superior Axle neglected to copyright their Super 35 name so others have stolen it for use with their imitator kits.

Superior Axle's Super 35 kit beefs the rear Dana 35c axle up to nearly the strength of a Dana 44 which is more than strong enough for a locker. It replaces the weak OE 27 spline axle shafts with hardened alloy 30 spline axle shafts (a bigger diameter) and replaces the differential's carrier (the part that holds the gears) with a full case locker like a Detroit Locker, ARB Air Locker, with one or two others I wouldn't recommend. A Dana 35c with a Superior Axle brand Super 35 kit installed actually has slightly stronger axle shafts than a Dana 44 axle has. The Dana 35c's ring & pinion gears (which do not get replaced with a Super 35) are still not going to be as strong as those in a Dana 44 but it is the Dana 35c's axle shafts that are the most breakage prone.

While not cheap, Superior Axle's Super 35 kit is a very good way to upgrade a Dana 35c axle to make it very worthy of 35" tires and a locker.

You can always add a locker to the front Dana 30 first if the cost of a Super 35 kit is out of reach for now. The front Dana 30 can handle a locker without much issue (especially with 33" or smaller tires) with recommended lockers including the No-Slip, Aussie, and Lockright. Where a Wrangler TJ is concerned, contrary to the generic warnings against installing a front locker without also installing manual unlocking front hubs, a front locker does not (!) cause any steering or handling issues when a TJ is in 2wd.

Do you by chance know the ballpark cost of upgrading to this Superior Super 35 kit and is the locker an additional cost as well?

Jerry Bransford 07-07-2010 01:47 PM

Your choice of 3-4 full-case lockers is included with Superior Axle's Super 35 kit and with the least expensive Detroit Locker option, I believe the list price is $999 + installation labor.

530ktm 07-07-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 679938)
Your choice of 3-4 full-case lockers is included with Superior Axle's Super 35 kit and with the least expensive Detroit Locker option, I believe the list price is $999 + installation labor.

Thanks Jerry. I would say that being in the back end I would probably want to go with the ARB, which is probably the most expensive. :banghead:

Jerry Bransford 07-07-2010 02:44 PM

You can't beat the ARB and you are right, it's very likely gonna be the most expensive. If you get serious about it, contact Gerald at Savvy Offroad who is a friend of mine who happens to be a dealer for Superior Axle and that product. Tell him I sent you and he'll discount it for you.

P.S. I can say that I ran a Detroit Locker in the rear of my daily driver TJ for nearly ten years and it was a complete/total non-issue. I barely noticed its presence 99.9% of the time.