Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Flush mount tail lights (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/flush-mount-tail-lights-5450.html)

RottnRudy 01-23-2007 10:48 AM

Flush mount tail lights
 
Hi All
Has anyone seen any flush mount round tail lights? I like the recessed look but I dont want the LED.Any links or suggestions would be appreciated.

Rudy

Bluesman 01-23-2007 11:32 AM

Have you thought about flush mounting the stock tail lights? I was looking at the round ones myself. Later I saw some stock tail lights that had been flush mounted. They looked pretty darn good. :)

RottnRudy 01-23-2007 11:38 AM

where did you see that bluesman?

Bluesman 01-23-2007 11:42 AM

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363470

Is it OK to post links to other forums? If not please delete. :)

RottnRudy 01-23-2007 11:48 AM

the stock lights looks pretty good also.Thanks
Rudy

rickr 01-23-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RottnRudy (Post 48388)
Hi All
Has anyone seen any flush mount round tail lights? I like the recessed look but I dont want the LED.Any links or suggestions would be appreciated.

Rudy

those are easy to find. just about any auto parts store, truck stop, or wallyworld. i used them on my old yj. used a 4" hole saw to cut body.;)

1BLKJP 01-23-2007 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesman (Post 48402)
is it OK to post links to other forums? If not please delete. :)

Yeah, you are fine. :D

tiny terror 01-23-2007 07:25 PM

I love the flush mounted stock lights. Those are prety snazzy looking. So you cut the tub with a regular saw?

1BLKJP 01-23-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny terror (Post 48545)
I love the flush mounted stock lights. Those are prety snazzy looking. So you cut the tub with a regular saw?

You can cut it with a variety of different tools. When guys do round LED's they usually use a hole saw to do it. You could use a cut off wheel, a dremmel tool, a plasma cutter (although that would be rather messy) etc...

amerijeep 01-23-2007 07:33 PM

I've been thinking of putting in some LED ones myself since my original YJ tail lights have seen better days. I figured if I gotta replace 'em,might as well do an upgrade. Not to mention, to upgrade is less expensive.

Anybody got any tips and pics?

mrbigjeep 01-23-2007 08:03 PM

i like the look of round LED's a lot better. and you can get 2 for $52 including the wiring.

amerijeep 01-23-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjeep (Post 48559)
i like the look of round LED's a lot better. and you can get 2 for $52 including the wiring.

I've found 'em for half that, but I don't know how good they would look or if they would be bright enough.

I'm guessin' they have to be DOT approved to be legal, not that I really care though.

mrbigjeep 01-23-2007 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerijeep (Post 48566)
I've found 'em for half that, but I don't know how good they would look or if they would be bright enough.

I'm guessin' they have to be DOT approved to be legal, not that I really care though.

please share the link :)

either way $52 is still real cheap. if you won't post the link up then send it to me in a PM. i don't think the LED's include a back up light though. i don't know how you would solve this. i've also heard something about license plate illumination (?)

amerijeep 01-23-2007 08:21 PM

My license plate doesn't have a light anyway...

I don't have a link. I found them locally at a local place that sells 'em. I have seen them for a lot less on Ebay from time to time too. I've been pricin 'em for a few months, but I really want to get a good idea of what they look like in action before I start cuttin' holes in the jeep.

RottnRudy 01-24-2007 09:03 AM

Ive noticed a truck backing up this morning about 5 a.m. and he had a set of red and a set of white LED's they were very bright.I'm of to autozone soon to see what they have.

Rudy

whitebuffalo 01-24-2007 11:48 AM

i put round LEDs on mine. i got em for ~$60 shipped on ebay. i can finds the store if anyone is interested. i did not use a hole saw becasue the doggone saw (not counting the center) was $40. :flipoff: that. so, i measured 13 times and then took a jigsaw to it . you had to come at a couple differnet angles but it wasnt bad at all. i used bullet connectors to connect the lights and drilled a self tapping screw inside for the ground. it was pretty easy, and they look 3000 times better than my old sun rotted busted stockers.


i can take a pic tommorrow if anyone wants to see them.

nascardude68 01-24-2007 05:34 PM

so what do yall guys do about the tag light, after u recess the tail lights. we get tickets here were i live if the tag light is out.

Unlimited 01-24-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nascardude68 (Post 48815)
so what do yall guys do about the tag light, after u recess the tail lights. we get tickets here were i live if the tag light is out.


These:

AzTJ 01-24-2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unlimited (Post 48816)



Those are nice! Or you can wire up a regular trailer license plate light, however you wanna do it.... I donno what the law is exactly her ein Arizona, but the plate has to be visible, can't be blocked by a big 'ol tire, and has to be at least 22" off the ground. The cops never said anything about it being lighted.

Triple88a 01-24-2007 08:06 PM

http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrical/led1/led-1.htm

I've seen taillights that use regular bulb with same shape as those in the link...

Triple88a 01-24-2007 08:33 PM

here is another one.. by some kit called "LightDot".. - if anyone has any more info i would like to see it.. where can i get the kit anways?
http://4x4xplor.com/ORO-LiteDOTs.html#LitePLATE

AzTJ 01-24-2007 08:52 PM

Thru ORO - https://secure48.mysecureorder.net/o...7b02562d8e6b54

mrbigjeep 01-24-2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 48864)
here is another one.. by some kit called "LightDot".. - if anyone has any more info i would like to see it.. where can i get the kit anways?
http://4x4xplor.com/ORO-LiteDOTs.html#LitePLATE

they are a crap load of money. $199

amerijeep 01-24-2007 09:54 PM

I have seen the round fluch mount LED tail lights. but has anyone seen them in square? I'd like to keep the theme going...

I was thinkin' it might look cool if they were square for the YJ.

MR.CLIFFORD 01-24-2007 10:04 PM

I run the 4" ASL lights all around my junk. Pretty easy install.

http://www.thedoubleduke.com/original_photos/5.jpg

Triple88a 01-24-2007 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerijeep (Post 48910)
I was thinkin' it might look cool if they were square for the YJ.

I've seen somewhat square tails on YJ.. they looked somewhat small but they did fit quite good.. I cant find the link at this very moment.. but i'm looking for it.. if not eventually i will give up and photoshop what it looked like

Unlimited 01-24-2007 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerijeep (Post 48910)
I have seen the round fluch mount LED tail lights. but has anyone seen them in square? I'd like to keep the theme going...

I was thinkin' it might look cool if they were square for the YJ.

I have a friend that runs these:

http://www.buytruckstuff.com/images/...ommet_mini.gif

Not square, but closer...

mr4x4 01-24-2007 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerijeep (Post 48549)
I've been thinking of putting in some LED ones myself since my original YJ tail lights have seen better days. I figured if I gotta replace 'em,might as well do an upgrade. Not to mention, to upgrade is less expensive.

Anybody got any tips and pics?

just did my led lights about a month ago and I love them its clean and my led plate light looks good to plus they are much brighter than stock

Unlimited 01-24-2007 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzTJ (Post 48846)
Those are nice! Or you can wire up a regular trailer license plate light, however you wanna do it.... I donno what the law is exactly her ein Arizona, but the plate has to be visible, can't be blocked by a big 'ol tire, and has to be at least 22" off the ground. The cops never said anything about it being lighted.

In Cali, no light = Ticket.

RottnRudy 01-25-2007 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerijeep (Post 48910)
I have seen the round fluch mount LED tail lights. but has anyone seen them in square? I'd like to keep the theme going...

I was thinkin' it might look cool if they were square for the YJ.

Hi amerijeep
I went to autozone yesterday and seen a set of square LED light that are Simalar to the Square stock lights the wrangler come with.There a little smaller but you have a regular passenger side and a driver side with the plate light both lights have sidemarkers also.I might end up trying these out I'll post a parts # if I get them.

Rudy


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.