Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Flowmaster 50 Series VS Dynomax Super Turbo (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/flowmaster-50-series-vs-dynomax-super-turbo-54556.html)

Wildkarde 07-05-2010 12:05 PM

Flowmaster 50 Series VS Dynomax Super Turbo

Looking to get rid of the stock muffler and I have narrowed it down to one of the above. I am looking for something that has a decent sound, louder than stock but not annoyingly loud with the top off.

Has any one ran one of the two above? Thoughts on them?

If you have something else to suggest, just keep in mind that I am looking for nice sound but not excessive noise. I.E. I don't want to have to clutch it when i meet a cop :rolleyes:

Thanks for any and all input.

Hendy 07-05-2010 12:21 PM

I have the Dynomax on mine with a catback setup, it sounds nice but it bangs against smoothing when I accelerate to fast. Haven't figured out where it's hitting yet, when I get underneath it doesn't look like it's close enough to hit anywhere....?

InfernoGirl 07-05-2010 12:33 PM

I have the Dynomax Turbo, it's close to stock sounding, but you do hear the Jeep running, as opposed to stock where I never knew it was running. My buddy has a Flowmaster 50 and it sounds really good. I'll probably swap my Turbo for a 40 series when the extra $ comes around. The Turbo is a bit too tame for my tastes.

doclouie 07-05-2010 12:49 PM

I just put a Flowmaster 50 on my Jeep a couple weeks ago. It sounds really good. Much better than the stock system it had on it when I purchased it. At first I thought it was too quiet, but now I am glad I did not go with a Flowmaster 40. I can still talk over the exhaust and it has a nice beefy sound to it. This muffler will not attract the cops either as that was a concern I had too. Note that no HP or torque gains were accomplished by putting this on. It does sound really good though. The stock one was rusted out so I figured I would put one on I like rather than the local cheapo at a shop.

Hendy-Check the spacing between the exhaust pipe and the gas tank as that is where the rubber bushing are located and it can move quite a bit right there.

Hendy 07-05-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doclouie (Post 677494)
Hendy-Check the spacing between the exhaust pipe and the gas tank as that is where the rubber bushing are located and it can move quite a bit right there.

Will do, it sounds like it's coming from right under the passenger seat. I thought maybe it was banging on the TC skid but it looks clear to me...

Jma20a 07-05-2010 01:06 PM

i went with the banks and like it better than the flowmaster, its made of stainless steel and sounds great.

TjTheo 07-05-2010 01:14 PM

I actually have a borla in mine, its not loud unless you bring it to 3k. Kinda like a sleeper sound at idle its very very low pitched sounds like a muscle car it's awesome.

Wildkarde 07-05-2010 02:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I was kinda leaning towards the flowmaster 50 series. The banks sounds great but I think its a bit louder than what I am looking for.

So now this leaves me at: Does anyone know the P/N for the flowmaster 50 series that fits a 2002 4.0? I know I am being lazy but I figure some one else has already done the footwork more than likely and what kind of a guy would i be if i let all their hard work go to waste? :cool:

03 RUBI 07-05-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendy (Post 677467)
I have the Dynomax on mine with a catback setup, it sounds nice but it bangs against smoothing when I accelerate to fast. Haven't figured out where it's hitting yet, when I get underneath it doesn't look like it's close enough to hit anywhere....?

Another thing to check is the exhaust pipe hanger that's just forward of the wheel well. Not the one back by the tip. Mine broke and was causing the whole exhaust assembly to move up, down and sideways.

doclouie 07-05-2010 07:11 PM

Do you have the stock muffler? The Flowmaster 50 muffler that I bought was #942552 off Amazon. It has 2.5" in/out pipes. There are some that are a 2.5 in and a 2.25 out or vise versa. The pipe from the muffler back is from a Dynomax cat back system, which I never used the muffler. I had to weld the front flange on the Flowmaster, but I enjoy that kind of work.

97'wrangler 07-05-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendy (Post 677467)

Check your tranny... especially if its and auto. On my dads truck, his tranny does that too when he accelerates hard.

EdJonesJeeper 07-06-2010 08:15 PM

I've beat the heck out of my Flowmaster and it still holds up well and sounds great. Never had a problem in accelerating with being "too loud." You'll be happy with the flowmaster. I got mine from midas installed for lil' over $100.

With my 99' I had a problem with the stock ehaust manifold was cracked where all 6 pipes connect to 2. That always more attention than I wanted. Replaced it and threw the flowmaster on for good measure and sounds great for 5yrs now.

Wildkarde 07-06-2010 09:51 PM

Ed,

Thanks that was exactly what I wanted to hear.

Jeepzcb09 07-06-2010 10:41 PM

I personally like the sound of my glasspack i have on mine, its not as loud as you think,but enough to get noticed but not pissed off because you cant hear anything

Wildkarde 07-07-2010 05:43 PM

Still unsure

Thought my choice was made but....

I did some looking on youtube and found some dynomax super turbos that sound pretty good to me, no where near as quite as i expected from post's in this thread and others....

Very surprised as most say its hardly louder than stock and it sounded pretty darn good to me and not much differnt from the flowmaster 50 series. Any ideas why they seem to sound so much better than everyone says?

Wildkarde 07-07-2010 10:40 PM

anyone...am i missing something??

makindue 07-18-2010 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildkarde (Post 677456)
Looking to get rid of the stock muffler and I have narrowed it down to one of the above. I am looking for something that has a decent sound, louder than stock but not annoyingly loud with the top off.

Has any one ran one of the two above? Thoughts on them?

If you have something else to suggest, just keep in mind that I am looking for nice sound but not excessive noise. I.E. I don't want to have to clutch it when i meet a cop :rolleyes:

Thanks for any and all input.

I think the best muffler that I can suggest is the dynomax super turbo. I hope there are lots of picture to be post here. :D Or the magnaflow.

vanquisheder 08-11-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TjTheo (Post 677513)
I actually have a borla in mine, its not loud unless you bring it to 3k. Kinda like a sleeper sound at idle its very very low pitched sounds like a muscle car it's awesome.

Agreed. Borla is not drone free but is of superior quality and one of the best, the only bad point is, it's expensive. And... I prefer Flowmaster 50 over dynomax turbos. If you still need more....check out flowmaster 10. It was designed for race only and It'll blow your brains out .

InfernoGirl 08-11-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildkarde (Post 680342)
Thought my choice was made but....

I did some looking on youtube and found some dynomax super turbos that sound pretty good to me, no where near as quite as i expected from post's in this thread and others....

Very surprised as most say its hardly louder than stock and it sounded pretty darn good to me and not much differnt from the flowmaster 50 series. Any ideas why they seem to sound so much better than everyone says?

Video quality perhaps. Idk, but I have a turbo, and my buddy has a 50 and his sounds better on his 4.0 than mine does on my 4.0. It's louder.

Wildkarde 08-11-2010 04:38 PM

IG,

I figured that no matter what the 50 was louder than the dynomax, I think that perhaps I need to ask more along the quality of the sound from Dynomax.

I am not really looking for just loud, I want something that sounds good as well. Now I am not saying the flowmaster doesnt sound good, its just that I don't think its the way I want to go with the Jeep.

I want something that isnt going to bring the cops around, make it hard to get inspected, or be annoying on long topless drives etc. But at the same time still sound more aggresive than stock.

I am leaning very hard towards Dynomax, IG please tell me it sounds good just isnt as loud as you want it :)

TR3YNGLER 08-11-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildkarde (Post 720721)
IG,

I figured that no matter what the 50 was louder than the dynomax, I think that perhaps I need to ask more along the quality of the sound from Dynomax.

I am not really looking for just loud, I want something that sounds good as well. Now I am not saying the flowmaster doesnt sound good, its just that I don't think its the way I want to go with the Jeep.

I want something that isnt going to bring the cops around, make it hard to get inspected, or be annoying on long topless drives etc. But at the same time still sound more aggresive than stock.

I am leaning very hard towards Dynomax, IG please tell me it sounds good just isnt as loud as you want it :)

What'll you give us for ours? You can save a little money over a new one and we can offset the cost of our new 40-series with the sale of our Dynomax.

(by the way, I'm IG's husband, if you didn't know)

TR3YNGLER 08-11-2010 05:03 PM

Another "oh, by the way"... The GAWD-AWFUL smell those things have when brand-new is gone. Took about 3 months at least to get rid of the burning plastic stench that comes with the coating that's on the new ones. :)

Wildkarde 08-11-2010 05:12 PM

Are we talking the muffler and tailpipe that came with the cat back or just the muffler? I would assume you were talking about the whole thing as i beleive the 40 is a different size and I wouldn't think you would want to monkey it on to the other pipe, but I could be wrong.....

Wildkarde 08-11-2010 05:18 PM

Also is it the same size for a 02 as your 01? I know mine needs 2.5" piping and the flange on the front end of the muffler. Can't remember when they changed from 2.25" up to 2.5"......

InfernoGirl 08-11-2010 07:53 PM

Mine is 2.5" pipes. No clue about the flange. I'm not sure what my buddy changed other than the muffler on his with the 50, but I did the cat back that came with the Dynomax. I love dynomax mufflers, this is my 4th one. It's just unfortunate that this one isn't as loud as I'd like. All the others I've had have been race bullets, on V8's.... They rock for the price! :D

Wildkarde 08-11-2010 08:04 PM

I will keep a eye on the thread to see if your old man wants to sell the muffler and tail pipe or just the muffler and if it has the flange on it....To be honest i guess i better climb under mine and confrim that it needs the flange on the front. I haven't looked at mine but every kit I have looked up shows the muffler with that flange for a 2002.

I have had real good luck with dynomax in the past,I had headers and turbos mufflers dumping into sidepipes on my 76 nova, also put a turbo on a ...wait for it.....Geo Storm GSI, when I was in school. All the other guys that spent hundreds on exhaust for their civics were not happy campers that my 30 dollar muffler sounded better :) Don't get me wrong it still sounded ricey but it was WAY better than the "Fart in a tin can" sound they ended up with. I ran the storm to offset the 6+/- mpgs my Nova got.

doclouie 08-11-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TR3YNGLER (Post 720790)
Another "oh, by the way"... The GAWD-AWFUL smell those things have when brand-new is gone. Took about 3 months at least to get rid of the burning plastic stench that comes with the coating that's on the new ones. :)

I had the same problem and it took about a month and a half to get rid of it.

doclouie 08-11-2010 08:15 PM

The 2.25" to 2.5" change happened in January of 2000. The 24th if I remember correctly. I am pretty sure that the muffler will need the flange. I have a brand new Turbomax muffler if you are interested.

InfernoGirl 08-11-2010 10:28 PM

Wildkarde, my tail pipe is all smashed up from being beaten up offroad, you'd probably want a new one, and Treyngler is my husband, so if he says sell it, we're selling! :rofl:
Idk, what a new one goes for at the moment, make me an offer, but I think we'll keep the pipes, our muffler guy is a genius and can work with what ever we ask him to do... I'm sure I'll be corrected if my thinking is wrong here ;) It does sound good, the tone is very nice, not ricey, or anything. Like I said, I like loud... :D I ran open headers for a year on my Tahoe, much to Mr. Treyngler's dismay..... :rofl: (and you wonder why I can't hear my brakes squealing....) :)

Wildkarde 08-11-2010 10:53 PM

IG,

Well to be honest the only thing that swayed me towards a used exhaust was if it was the cat back. Since you had to go and beat yours all to hell :) I think I will pass on the muffler. Sorry I can't help you get your 40 though, I can already see the smile on your face when you take it out the first time.

BTW running open headers all the time is nuts. You must be one hell of a woman!!!!!

Doc,
I sent you a PM