Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   carb install problems HELP!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/carb-install-problems-help-54611.html)

gearhed42 07-06-2010 05:06 AM

carb install problems HELP!!

I have had a driveability issue with the jeep for quite some time. On cold starts she sputters quite a bit. Seems to go away more or less when warm. It doesnt sound like a skip or a miss but more a random almost puff puff. Also she seems to be extremely underpowered. So i decided to do the mc2100 swap from the infamous ebay guy. I seemed to get the swap installed fairly easy but she didnt want to fire up all that easily. I ended up having to crank the idle screw up quite a bit just to get her to fire. And by idle screw i am talking about the screw nearest the throttle linkage. And now that shes running i dont notice a difference over carter carb but i am still tweaking and i believe i have other issues. The only things i have hooked up are the pvc to the back and the vacuum advance for the distributor on the left hand side. And i do not have the rear breather on the valve cover hooked to anything because according to the pictures and info in the instructions it came with there should be another port underneath where the air cleaner sits that is not on my carb. There is one more port on the top towards the front on the bowl facing left that from what i can read is the bowl vent. Is that where this breather tube can go? I do not have any part of the emissions hooked up right now. No canister lines at all. The CTO is completly unhooked as well as the EGR. I was told originally by somebody that none of this would be needed. Just wondering where to hook up breather and is that bowl vent ok to leave uncapped? Also had a disagreement with swapping the carter electric choke coil and am pretty sure i broke it and thats why it does not work. I found a choke for a holly 2 bbl carb in a local parts store that looks very similar for about 14 bucks. Would this work and is installing an electric choke straight forward? I am used to manual choke or nothing at all but like the idea of electric. Any help folks??? :banghead:

1992wranglersahara 07-06-2010 09:04 AM

I bought the same carb from the same guy. He should have included his cell #. I would call him and run this all past him. I don't have the Jeep here today, so I really don't remember what I did - but I know that my vent breather is not attached to anything either, as I did not have the port at the bottom back of the carb either. Call him and get some answers from him - he should be helpful.

scott howard 07-06-2010 02:57 PM

send me your email adress and i can send you the instructions i have for the mc 2100

gearhed42 07-06-2010 04:12 PM

I have a cd with instructions from the guy. Some parts just werent that clear. For instance the valve cover breather and the bowl vent like i mentioned. And especially the choke. I sent you a pm with my email address. Hopefully your instructions are clearer.

gearhed42 07-07-2010 01:28 AM

any other thoughts folks? I attempted to contact the guy about 4 days ago via email. Cant seem to find a phone number anywhere as someone mentioned. I was really hoping someone on here would have some ideas....

gearhed42 07-08-2010 03:26 AM

90 something views and nobody has any ideas??? I played around with it a bit more today. Doesnt seem to make a difference if i plug that bowl breather or leave it uncapped. Still have noplace to hook up the valve cover breather. And the choke is definately screwed. I have power at the wire so it must just be too twisted from me trying to flip the coil around.

1992wranglersahara 07-08-2010 10:15 AM

Sorry man. I whs I could help, but you are talking to a guy who did the same carb swap and left the vent cap unattached. Just put it filtered vent in there. I will check the PVC valve and see where that vacuum goes, as well as what is hooked up to the bowl vent - once I get the Jeep back from the tranny shop. Probably be either Friday or Monday. In the meantime, if I can fine that guy's cellie, I'll reply back with it. I didn't even hook up a choke - started it up in the NW NJ winters each morning by just keeping the throttle up while sitting in the driveway.

1992wranglersahara 07-08-2010 07:38 PM

Here's his info. He does say in the instructions that the BEST way to get through to him is probably email:

My email address is:

gronk2100@msn.com
Michael

gearhed42 07-09-2010 02:46 AM

yea that is the email address i attempted to contact him with. But that was over a week and a half ago and still no response. I appreciate the attempt though! lol

gearhed42 07-11-2010 12:45 AM

Well good news...sorta. The guy finally got back to me. Can't say that he helped much. All he really did was forward me a few more pictures and instructions and a few of them were already on the cd. I emailed him back and asked him more direct questions. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this. Someone on here have any info on the electric choke or the breather? I think I have it tuned a little better now but not perfect.