Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Georgia Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f70/)
-   -   Dirt roads around Gwinnett County/NE Metro Atlanta GA (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f70/dirt-roads-around-gwinnett-county-ne-metro-atlanta-ga-54614.html)

joelbarrett 07-06-2010 08:32 AM

Dirt roads around Gwinnett County/NE Metro Atlanta GA

I'm looking for any interesting dirt roads in and around Gwinnett county or NE Metro Atlanta. Not looking for illegal trails, just something to "dip my toes" in the dirt without traveling too far. Something simple where I can take my wife out for a nice country drive one afternoon without having to worry too much about winching myself out of a messy situation (although I am prepared to do that if needed).

I know the above request sounds noobish but I'm just trying to get my wife involved in Jeepin' without scaring the crap out of her. And, because we have kids, we can't take an entire weekend to head up to north GA and beyond.

Any suggestions you can provide are appreciated!

Joel

drivebytruckerz 07-06-2010 08:39 AM

I bet if you go a little ways "north" on 85 and get off one some of those two bit exits you'll find some roads.

JDsDream 07-06-2010 09:19 AM

There are quite a few of us who run the power lines off of P'tree Industrial between Duluth and Sugar Hill. I'm not sure of the legallity, but we have never had any problems there. You may also want to check out GaTrailRiders.com. They are a local group and have a lot of runs that are okay for beginners.

joelbarrett 07-06-2010 09:46 AM

I always wondered about those power lines. Good to know no one has had issues there. I'll check them out. I'll also check out the GaTrailRiders group.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. DriveBy, I'll check into roads in the I-85 N area too.

05RockyMtn 07-06-2010 08:29 PM

Let me know how it went Joel

joelbarrett 07-19-2010 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took the wifey on the power lines between Sugarloaf Pkwy and Suwannee this past Sunday. This was just enough to get my JK a little muddy and ensure my wife was comfortable with going off-road. We had a blast. Yes, yes, I know.... LAME! But it was fun and a good intro. Wifey even said she wants to do more next time so now I'm looking for someone to tag along with the next time you guys plan a day trip somewhere to N. GA or somewhere else fairly close.

cru9 07-19-2010 08:15 PM

Join GAtrailriders.com we are going up to Clayton next weekend or aleast that is what i am reading.. There are trails up here by Ellijay or Chatsworth and Murray County..We go out to Cherokee county off of HWY20 by the lake always people out there playing and legal. Trails go down to the lake

joelbarrett 07-19-2010 08:32 PM

Cool! I was joining GAtrailriders while you were entering your post. When are you guys going? Sat? If so, I might be able to attend but can't if it's Sunday. Is there a specific forum or group I need to monitor on the GAtrailriders website or will that come to me automatically just by signing up?

Thanks!
Joel

drivebytruckerz 07-19-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cru9 (Post 693880)
Join GAtrailriders.com we are going up to Clayton next weekend or aleast that is what i am reading.. There are trails up here by Ellijay or Chatsworth and Murray County..We go out to Cherokee county off of HWY20 by the lake always people out there playing and legal. Trails go down to the lake

Hey dude.. I found a mountain road with some light wheeling and an awesome view at the top north west of Rome if you're interested let me know and I'll give you directions.

joelbarrett 07-19-2010 08:43 PM

Sure, send 'em to joel@brainslap.com.

Thanks,
Joel

JDsDream 07-19-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelbarrett (Post 693924)
Cool! I was joining GAtrailriders while you were entering your post. When are you guys going? Sat? If so, I might be able to attend but can't if it's Sunday. Is there a specific forum or group I need to monitor on the GAtrailriders website or will that come to me automatically just by signing up?

Thanks!
Joel

Once you join, go to the forum and check it out. All rides are listed there. It is pretty laid back. I am a member but haven't been able to hit a trail with them yet. I think they know when I will be busy with races and plan accordingly. jk:D

wreck 11-15-2010 12:16 PM

hey Joel.. I guess the power lines are ok.. Got the same pic at that same location.. seems to be the spot for us GWINNETIONS!!

gpcribbs116 11-24-2010 09:06 AM

www.northgajeepers.com

We are a family-oriented Jeep club who rides the North GA trails almost every weekend!

Come and check us out and we'll show you some nice wheelin' spots! All of our trails are as difficult as you want them to be! There are the challenging spots for the brave and there are mild spots for the smart and then there are bypasses if you're not in the mood for either!

Check out our forum and join us on a ride!

Here is our Vimeo page so you can see the kind of wheeling that we do!

P&G Productions's videos on Vimeo

Armin 06-05-2011 02:08 PM

Theres a trail on Lville Suwanne road by the rail road tracks, not sure of legality though :/ has some small pits, and really deep pits further down the trail. It's a bit narrow though.

sswalker2004 12-15-2011 05:09 PM

I'm fairly new to Gwinnett county. I'm familiar with L'ville/suwanee rd between hwy 120 and I-85 but don't know where the trail is along there. Can someone tell me how exactly where to go for the L'ville/Suwanee rd trail? I'm sure I could find the power lines near sugar hill but info on the best place to go in would be great as well! Thanks!

joelbarrett 12-21-2011 10:02 AM

Send me an email at joel@brainslap.com and I'll send you a link to a Google Maps site where I've been "collecting" off-road sites to visit.

Joel

sswalker2004 12-26-2011 02:15 PM

Just sent you an email. Thanks!

joelbarrett 12-26-2011 03:22 PM

Done.

Teej1088 01-10-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelbarrett (Post 1846691)
Send me an email at joel@brainslap.com and I'll send you a link to a Google Maps site where I've been "collecting" off-road sites to visit.

Joel

Joel, could you send me that link as well? My email is teej8@live.com

joelbarrett 01-12-2012 02:02 PM

Done.

Joel

MotorCityBear 02-13-2012 09:20 PM

I should have my Sahara in mid-March and would love to join you guys on some "moderate" trails. I am new to off-roading and this will be my daily driver so I am not lifting it or hopefully not breaking anything. I am also in the Norcross area.

bama0915 02-21-2012 03:12 PM

I live on the kennesaw Woodstock line. We just bought our Jeep a month ago. Never been off-roading. My wife and I would love to join another group of experienced riders for us to follow. My email is john.f.hudgins@Gmail.com. thanks and we look forward to riding with y'all.

MotorCityBear 02-21-2012 07:48 PM

As soon as mine comes in, (mid-March) I will try to connect with you guys for some fun in the dirt.

bama0915 02-21-2012 09:44 PM

Sounds awesome. And looking forward to it.

hsjeep 02-21-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelbarrett (Post 693866)
Took the wifey on the power lines between Sugarloaf Pkwy and Suwannee this past Sunday. This was just enough to get my JK a little muddy and ensure my wife was comfortable with going off-road. We had a blast. Yes, yes, I know.... LAME! But it was fun and a good intro. Wifey even said she wants to do more next time so now I'm looking for someone to tag along with the next time you guys plan a day trip somewhere to N. GA or somewhere else fairly close.

Could you tell me how to get there? I am trying to head out in the afternoon. Just going with a buddy.

hsjeep 02-21-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelbarrett (Post 693866)

On second thought, I may have actually found it by chance on google maps...do you enter by purcell road?

3S00W 03-06-2012 05:26 AM

I live in Lawrenceville, inbox me for my cell # so u can text me if u ever wanna go ride. I've done the powerlines and 317 trails once each. I work M-F and am home by lunch. Always wanna ride and meet people.

dksland 03-06-2012 06:06 PM

Dirt Oval

if you're looking for a good place to get a little mud on the tires, there's a big dirt lot in the woods off of GA92. its just next to the lifetime fitness, across the street from the Woodlands neighborhood. Theres a bumpy oval track, a couple jumps and mud pits, and a steep loose dirt hill to climb up.

Armin 03-11-2012 06:03 PM

There is a place called union grove down in lithonia. Legality is debated though. I know tons of people that go there on like a weekly basis, but when i went there, the cops told me to leave. . . along with the 7 cruisers, 4 bikes and one charger awaiting me at the gate. Someone called the police previous to the event though, and i WAS the only one dumb enough to show up, even though someone threatened to phone them.

Armin 03-11-2012 06:04 PM

ALSO there is a "trail" by the walmart off of lville suwanee, i also live in lawrenceville. Add me on facebook (armin memovic) my phone is shatteredm if anyone ever wants to go to any of these places.